Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

Daytime running lights

I have a new 2013 View Profile. I would like to turn off the daytime running lights. The Mercedes owners manual says to turn the key to the 2nd position and push the M (menu) button until the headlamp icon appears. Then turn it to the off position. No luck. I haven't seen the icon unless I'm driving. I don't particullary care for the parking, clearance, and low beams to be running all the time in the daylight. Has anyone conquered this feat?

Thanks................Tommy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Can't help you with how to disable the DRL but for what it's worth, most vehicle will not have parking, clearance and lows on for DRL - it's usually just one set (many vehicles turn on the high beams at lower intensity for the DRL).

Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #3

Why? ....would you want to disable a proven safety feature that might possibly save your life. Just curious....but I wouldn't think you'd want to disable your ABS system or remove the safety glass from your windshield?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

Yea why disable it? Heck when I bought my truck I had it turned on for safety reasons
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WHY would you want to turn off the DRL's.. They are a safety feature. They make your vehicle easier to see and thus easier to avoid.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #6

Most recent statistics indicate DRL, in the U.S (and in particular the sunny states) has no significant benefit. In countries that have less sunlight (like Scandinavian countries) the benefit is much higher. As for me, our HR has DRL and I leave them on ... but if you can't see a 38' long X 12' high vehicle I doubt that having headlights on at reduced power will make any difference. I feel differently about motorcycles.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Most recent statistics indicate DRL, in the U.S (and in particular the sunny states) has no significant benefit. In countries that have less sunlight (like Scandinavian countries) the benefit is much higher. As for me, our HR has DRL and I leave them on ... but if you can't see a 38' long X 12' high vehicle I doubt that having headlights on at reduced power will make any difference. I feel differently about motorcycles.
To the OP...I've not heard many folks find acceptable ways to disable DRLs. BTW...I know my insurance asks if I have DRLs so I ASSUME it has some minor financial benefits to have them. I can not think of any disadvantage to them.

As to "no significant benefit" implies some benefit so I don't mind taking any advantage they provide me. There is nothing that is more irritating than seeing some dummy that can't figure out it is time to turn them on.

Also...most folks don't take into consideration the vantage of the other driver. As an example, on an early sunny morning or evening with the sun to my back I may have an AWESOME view. HOWEVER...the person heading at me has the sun in there eyes and DRLs do help them see me quicker, no matter the size of vehicle I am driving.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #8

I dont need to turn on my headlights in construction zones cuz of the DRLs

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I dont need to turn on my headlights in construction zones cuz of the DRLs
Also in some States ( Fl for one ) , your lights must be on in the rain. No need to remember with the DRL.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Why would you want to turn them off???

There is NO benefit in them turned off.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Please provide the reference for the study/statistics you refer to,

I know I can see any oncoming traffic or vehicles coming up behind me if its lights are on in any light condition.

And for bright areas, do you not think the sun on snow is not as bright or perhaps brighter as any glare in southern states? Hmmmmm, By the way, in northern lattitudes, sun is shining for many more hours during the summer than it does in areas closer to the equator.

Would you not consider Alaska to be a sunny state and is just as far north than most if not all Scandanivan countries? Confused
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #12

Cliff,
DRLs being on does not turn on the tail lights. To me it's more important to have tail lights on in the rain. So, even though I have DRLs, I turn the lights on with the switch when it's raining.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Please provide the reference for the study/statistics you refer to,

I know I can see any oncoming traffic or vehicles coming up behind me if its lights are on in any light condition.

And for bright areas, do you not think the sun on snow is not as bright or perhaps brighter as any glare in southern states? Hmmmmm, By the way, in northern lattitudes, sun is shining for many more hours during the summer than it does in areas closer to the equator.

Would you not consider Alaska to be a sunny state and is just as far north than most if not all Scandanivan countries? Confused
I have to agree that there's huge benefit in any country. We recently upgraded to a longer DP and I'm pulling our toad more often and I've really noticed the difference with DRL in any condition when trying to change langes (looking at traffic behind me). When driving in Canada (where vehicles have DRLs), I can always spot far away vehicles in the convex mirror (makes object look further / smaller) but when driving in the US, I've noticed that it's much harder to spot vehicles in the convex mirror if / when they don't have DRLs - even during the day.

I also agree with the other posters about rain (and tunnels, etc). Pretty much every state / province require headlights on if wipers are on but most drivers do not do it. DRLs protect the rest of us from those too ignorant to turn their lights on when they should be.

Personally, I've got DRLs but I still drive with my actual headlights on all the time but that's mostly because ICC and flashing headlights to signal other drivers doesn't work if my lights aren't on.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Also in some States ( Fl for one ) , your lights must be on in the rain. No need to remember with the DRL.
This unfortunately , is not correct . Lights ALL LIGHTS , should be on in the rain, to aid visibility of your vehicle from in front and behind.
The traffic studies that brought DRL into existence in Canada , Jan 1990,found that the main benefit was in the ability of a driver to identify the direction of travel of another vehicle on the road. You can see the vehicle , and if you see lights it's coming towards you. This is to avoid head on collisions on 2 lane highways , due to overtaking when unsafe to do so.
Is this important you ask. Yes ,ask anyone who owned a green vehicle before the DRLs came into existence, myself included, and got run into the ditch trying to avoid a head on when oncoming drivers pulled out to pass.
I started highway driving with my lights on 20 years before DRLs.
The Daytime Headlight Test highway sections , were used in Canada and the USA, some still exist. Lake Havasu City for 1. In the late 80s DRLs were proposed in both countries, Big 3 lobbied ( read that paid ) to have the law shut down in the US, claiming car buyers wouldn't pay the added cost, that reasoning didn't fly in Canada, and many other countries.
I'll add that anyone who claims that the DRL system shortens bulb life is full of it too, my own and the family vehicles that I maintained that were/are equipped with DRL, totaling decades of ownership and I can count the headlight bulbs replaced on one hand, and the number of those that the high beam filament was gone less than half.

Tags
lights