Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #1

DC problems and can't locate fuse panel

I recently purchased a 2000 Georgie Boy Landau 3601 dp. Since I bought it DC problems have come on 1 by 1. The windshield wipers, radio, fans, panel to lifts, electric driver's seat, wall lights, etc have all stop working and for the life of me I cannot find the fuse panel. Frienghtliner said the panel is on the firewall in the front of the RV, but it is not. There are fuses in an outside compartment beneath the drivers seat and another next to the AC panel aft, but neither has the fuses for the items that have gone out. I have searched every inch of the RV without success. Does anyone have any idea where it is, or what I should do or who might know? I'm pulling my hair out here.

Thanks... Robert

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #2

Robert,

Although I don't have a coach like yours, from what you describe sounds as if you're not getting 12v to your fuse panel from the supply source. If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage where the supply source wire connects to the 12v fuse panel next to the AC panel. The other thing to check is make sure you have a good ground from your coach (house) batteries to the chassis frame and also check the battery cable connection to the battery terminals on your coach (house) batteries.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Robert,
Welcome to iRV2. I do not know your brand of coach. However, in addition to the panels you have found there may be a 12 VDC panel in the basement bay that holds the shore power cord. If there is would be enclosed behind a protective covering. Many coaches have three or more fuse panels. Each panel should have each fuse labeled or at least a legend next to the panel telling what each fuse does.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #4

Check the front again. The fuse panel on the Freightliner has a cover over it that will make the front look like the panel doesn't exitst. It should be right of center when looking in from the front, in front of the driver. It has been awhile since I've dealt with the Freightliner since we currently have a Spartan, but I'm sure you will find it still there.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
paz

LightFlight, welcome to iRV2.

We don't have a DP, but on our gasser, there are at least five 12V fuse panels.

There is one under the hood and one by the driver's feet that are both for chassis components like headlights, cruise control, wipers, etc.

There is one under a panel in the dash that is for chassis items installed by the coach builder like power seats, power window, radio, etc.

The 120V breaker panel in the bedroom also has a fuse panel in it for 12V house components like the furnace, wall and ceiling lights, fridge and water heater control boards, etc.

In an outside bay, there is also another panel with relays for things like the slides and steps. There are also automotive fuses on this panel (I have no idea what they are for), plus about half a dozen 12V circuit breakers that look like little plastic boxes (1" x 1" x 1/4") with little reset buttons on them.

Your coach may have even more panels. They could be hidden anywhere. Maybe a call to the factory is in order. Good luck.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #6

While mine is not a DP, I do have a Georgie Boy product and on a Ford chassis. On the Ford there is a fuse panel on the front firewall, just behind the grill and that is mostly the Ford items that are on the chassis, or for the lights, (tail, turn signal, running, etc.) which are on the coach but controlled by the chassis components.

All of the things that you mention here are fused on a panel that is located under the dash, near the driver side wall. To see it you either stand on the ground and look through the open driver's door, or you can lay on your back in front of the driver's seat. I'm not sure if yours would be the same way, but I think that may be a good place to start looking.

All of the items that you list except the driver's seat seem to share the common area that they are located in the dash area. I am wondering if you may have a problem with a ground lead, rather than one of open fuses? As an electrical type person, it seems rather strange to me that you would have fuses blow, one after another. Another thing that could be common to those items is a plug type connector in the wire harness. Perhaps it could have some type of contamination inside of the connector, or it may not be seated properly.

I would try to come up with something that is common to the different items that are failing. Even if there are fuse problems, there must be some reason for the problem that keeps growing. If you can find a panel that holds fuses for those items, use a meter to check for power to it and then also use the ohm meter side to check the resistance to ground from any common ground points that you can find in the area of the dash.

Let us know how things go and post any new information that you may come up with.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #7

DC

Wow... thank you for all of your responses. Very, very kind. I am following on with all your suggestions and will report back.

In the meantime, I have double checked the forward firewall and under the dash for the hundredth time and there simply are no fuse panels in either location. I will check the grounds and so forth as suggested next.

Thanks again!!!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #8

Hey Robert, you're welcome and I wish you the best of luck in ferreting out your electrical problem, and will be anxious to hear what it was.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #9

Robert, on my Discovery with XC Freightliner chassis, I have 5 12 v panels. My power seat fuse is on big fuse board in bay with power cord/inverter, the jacks are up under dash, way up on the left inside the coach not outside, up under front left corner, there are two more 12 v panels under the dash in the middle. These two panels have fuses for dash stuff, they have covers on them, sure you would have seen these. Have schematics and notes on these panels, will look tomorrow and post back. The best thing you can have for electrical problems is a Wire Tracker made by GB Instruments, don't have model # handy but will post it also. Tester is two pieces
transmitter and reciever, trans sends signal over wire and reciever makes noise when held near right wire. Helps find a wire in a bundle. You can hook the transmitter piece to the power wire on power seat control panel and pass reciever near fuses in fuse panels or just wires in bundles. Home Depot sells these as does Amazon or other electric supply house. About $30-$40, but well worth it.
Will post back tomorrow with more info.
KC
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #10

Robert, was mistaken, I have 7 or more different fuse panels and 2 breaker panels with more small fuse blocks scattered in coach. The problems you are having points to your main 12 v panel, mine has seat, jacks, radio etc. It is either in rear left bay or front left bay. About 5 x 6 black box with cover. There are 5 blocks under dash in center, all with covers (have numbers F20396 on front). there are fuses for cab, heater, abs, ign, instruments, headlights etc. Remove the box cover and index is on inside of cover. If you get a GB Instruments Wire Tracker model # GET 4110K it will help you locate the fuse or supply end of a wire. Like I said you hook battery operated transmitter to wire at seat for example and take reciever and pass it around fuse box areas. Some of these things you are having trouble with could be fused twice!
Good Luck, post back if you need more help.
KC
Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #11

Well either I am blind as a bat or there are just no fuse boxes other that the one's in the outside box (funny little rectangle kind) under the driver seat and a small box in the rear outside box next to the AC fuse breakers. They are all labeled but none for the items that are not working. I was not able to find the GB Wire Tracker unit you referred to but I did find and buy a Sperry Lan Tracker that looked very similar. It doesn't seem to do the job as it looses the signal a few inches from the transmitter. Not sure if it is just the unit or what.

Continuing to drive myself a bit crazy with this. It makes no sense.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Robert, I just sold a Georgia Boy I had for ten tears. Although it was gas, it might be similar. In the front area, there is a 50 amp circuit breaker with a reset. This is supplied by the heavy wire from the Converter. Same problem drove me nuts, so I called the factory and he directed me to the CB. After reseting, all was fine. Mine was located upper right of the coach fuse boxes, (outside). Also, check the GFI receeptacle near the vanity area as all wiring goes thru that unit, when you are plugged in to shore power.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #13

Yeah Robert, the range is about 3 inches, any more and it would be confusing.
My main 12 v fuse box is black about 5x5 and says "battery control center, fuses inside"
You have the same chassis as mine, , I think , but different body.

Alleyman refers to a possible cure, alot of the things youre having a problem with are fed by this breaker. I hate electric problems, others love them.

But if not you have to have fuses somewhere. Try hooking tracker to a wire to one of the things u are having trouble with. I would start with seat, pull two screws off of seat adjustment switch mounting plate on side of seat, the big orange wire on the back of switch plate should be the hot or 12power supply, it runs down seat base then across the floor under carpet then thru floor. I tried this on mine. Tracker picked up signal thru carpet. Will have to find wire under floor and trace to where ever it ends up. Try and see if you have any tracker signal in one of the fuse boxes you know of like from the seat, pretty easy to get to this power wire. Pretty big challenge, I usually have a small nervous break down when dealing with elect probelms that I am unfamiliar with. There are so many wires and they all look the same. I have pictures and schematics of a lot of the wiring on this chassis but not sure how to let you see them. All my fuse panels are fairly easy to get too, but some took a lot of looking. Any ideas, can e-mail them possibly?
KC
Old 05-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #14

Oh yeah I forgot about fuse panel/breaker panel under fridge, that makes 8? There is an access panel in wall under fridge door. Mine pulls open and there is a breaker panel there, there is another cover next to breaker panel and there are lighting and plug fuses behind this metal cover. Hope you have this fuse panel. If you put all these fuses in one panel it would be like 3' x 3'. Good luck

Kelly