Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 04:52 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
De-Winterized and ready to hit the road

We'll be hitting the road in a few days to head south for the winter. This weekend the temperature hit 50 degrees so I decided to de-winterize and sanitize the water system rather than wait until we're on the road. All the plumbing in my Southwind is in heated compartments, so I'll set the thermostat to 45 to keep the pipes from freezing at night until we hit the road.

Last winter I had the same opportunity to de-winterize a day before we hit the road. Unfortunately I had a broken / frozen pipe that I had to replace.

This year I was happy to see the system held pressure and no last minute repairs were required.

Winterize – FAIL – Broken water pipe – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck on your journey.

We'll be heading south for our first winter when I retire next year. We live in OKC area as do our kids/gkids. We'll likely wait until after Christmas unless something opens up at Fort Wilderness.

" So you just retired, what are you going to do now? " I've always wanted to take us all to Disney so that's the plan.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Better keep the fires lit, looks like high of 27 low of 18 this Wednesday in NE Ohio where we are.(looks like your a Buckeye too)
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC1 View Post
Better keep the fires lit, looks like high of 27 low of 18 this Wednesday in NE Ohio where we are.(looks like your a Buckeye too)
Oh no. Is this gonna turn into a ohio thread? How do I delete my post....lol.

Go Blue!
Old 12-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Go Blue!
ROFL..

Quote:
Yah, looks like this will be the last warm days for a few months.. Hopefully we'll have warm WX in AZ. Last year was cool so after 8 weeks we packed up and headed to FL..
Old 12-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Go Dawgs, or anybody but OSU. Just commenting on the weather in previous post...believe it or not there are people in Ohio that HATE Ohio State...Not that I like Michigan.. Maybe this will finally get me banned?
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
We'll be hitting the road in a few days to head south for the winter. This weekend the temperature hit 50 degrees so I decided to de-winterize and sanitize the water system rather than wait until we're on the road. All the plumbing in my Southwind is in heated compartments, so I'll set the thermostat to 45 to keep the pipes from freezing at night until we hit the road.

Last winter I had the same opportunity to de-winterize a day before we hit the road. Unfortunately I had a broken / frozen pipe that I had to replace.

This year I was happy to see the system held pressure and no last minute repairs were required.

Winterize – FAIL – Broken water pipe – 1999 Southwind 35S

Just wondering...sanitize?

The antifreeze for water is safe..no need to sanitize after it is flushed with water. Just wondering why..
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
Just wondering...sanitize?

The antifreeze for water is safe..no need to sanitize after it is flushed with water. Just wondering why..
Most people don't actually put the antifreeze in their fresh water tank AFAIK.
I assumed he was talking about a little bleach in the fresh water tank.
I could be wrong though.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes. I put 1/2 cup of bleach in the fresh tank with about 20 gallons of water.

Then run each faucet until I smell bleach. Let it sit for a couple hours, drain everything and refill with fresh water.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #10

That’s more like a flush. I’m concerned about my hot / cold lines freezing up on me when I finally stay 4 nights at a hotel in Tennessee as the rig is parked. Trying to see what I can do to prevent any issues with my lines and waste tanks.
RVmotorosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVmotorosi View Post
That’s more like a flush. I’m concerned about my hot / cold lines freezing up on me when I finally stay 4 nights at a hotel in Tennessee as the rig is parked. Trying to see what I can do to prevent any issues with my lines and waste tanks.

Check to see if the hotel has any parking lot plug in most do now for boaters. Then just use an adapter and plug in, you would be able to turn on your tank heaters and your batteries charged up, set your stat to 40 degrees , or bring a space heater with you, not much more you can do
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Oh no. Is this gonna turn into a ohio thread?
Sure, why not?

I'm from NE Ohio and currently in SW Florida snowbirding for the first time. It's much nicer down here but I'm turning into a warm weather wimp. I actually came inside because it dropped to 72 this evening and I got chilled.

The furnace at home ran for 9.5 hours on Wednesday just to keep it at 55. Yuck.

Ray

Tags
winter, winterize