Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
De-winterizing on the road.

Like many northern snowbirds we will be leaving for south into below freezing temps. After one day of deriving we expect to be below the freeze line.

What is the best way to sanitize the water system when in a campsite the first night?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fill the tank about 3/4 full

Dilute 1/4 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity in to a gallon of water.
Add the chlorine/water solution to the water tank. (Never pour straight bleach into the RV fresh water tank. )
Top off the tank.

One faucet at a time, let the chlorinated water run through them for one or two minutes. You should be able to smell the chlorine. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
Top off the RV fresh water tank and let stand for at least three hours over night is better.
Completely drain the system by flushing the faucets for several minutes each. Open the fresh water tank drain valve to speed up emptying the tank.and Open the hot water tank drain plug and drain until it is empty.
Close all valves and faucets and drain plugs.
Fill water tank with fresh water.
Flush each faucet for several minutes each. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)

Turn off pump and drain system again including the hot water heater.

Refill with fresh water and you should be good to go.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #3

Brian offered good information. I would add, for the flushing after sanitizing, add some baking soda (~1/4 cup), to remove aftertaste of RV anti-freeze, to the flushing water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Brian offered good information. I would add, for the flushing after sanitizing, add some baking soda (~1/4 cup), to remove aftertaste of RV anti-freeze, to the flushing water.

^^^^ This is precisely why, especially since I winterize / de-winterize several times per winter, I use air not pink stuff to freeze-proof my rig.

My de-winterizing involves adding water. Period.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
^^^^ This is precisely why, especially since I winterize / de-winterize several times per winter, I use air not pink stuff to freeze-proof my rig.

My de-winterizing involves adding water. Period.
Murf, I wondered how effective this would be. Do you just hook up an air compressor to the water fill, set at say 40 lbs? Then open all the valves one by one till all the water blows out of each?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Murf, I wondered how effective this would be. Do you just hook up an air compressor to the water fill, set at say 40 lbs? Then open all the valves one by one till all the water blows out of each?
The RV geeks have a video showing how to winterize with air. I have not tried it, but plan to.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I too use air rather than pink to winterize my lines. However each spring I still want to sanitize my water tank and lines before drinking the water out of them.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post

Yes, BUT, let me first emphasize that the pressure of the air alone means nothing compared to the VOLUME of air at a given pressure.

I run a regulated air supply at 50 psi off a compressor big enough to maintain that pressure with at least one tap open continuously.

I hook it up to the city water inlet (not the tank fill port) and then open the various outlets starting with the one furthest from the inlet and let each run till there's no more mist coming out, just air. After each outlet has been drained like that I start all over again with each outlet including the toilet.

When the system is drained like this there is no need for pink stuff, nor sanitizing again before use.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kend51 View Post
The RV geeks have a video showing how to winterize with air. I have not tried it, but plan to.

IMHO this a recipe for disaster. The air line, the air gun (intended for filling tires) and the rest of the system are incapable of delivering enough SUSTAINED air pressure to ensure all the air is blown clear.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Yes, BUT, let me first emphasize that the pressure of the air alone means nothing compared to the VOLUME of air at a given pressure.

I run a regulated air supply at 50 psi off a compressor big enough to maintain that pressure with at least one tap open continuously.

I hook it up to the city water inlet (not the tank fill port) and then open the various outlets starting with the one furthest from the inlet and let each run till there's no more mist coming out, just air. After each outlet has been drained like that I start all over again with each outlet including the toilet.

When the system is drained like this there is no need for pink stuff, nor sanitizing again before use.
Ditto ! When I reach my Southern destination I just plug in the water and let the air in the lines clean out and fill the Hot Water Heater-- takes about 15 min. Done ! No Pinky Stuff for My Horse !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Blowing out the water with air is great for many rvs. My MH has an aqua-hot and the manual warns that blowing out with air is not adequate. It must be winterized with pink stuff.
dconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have heard a lot of varying opinions regarding the effectiveness of winterizing with air alone. How do I know what is really valid? I am living in Colorado now with sustained temps below 0. Thoughts or comments?
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have done the compressed air thing before on an Airstream TT I had. I used a 5HP compressor attached to a 30 gallon tank with the line regulated to 45 PSI and connected to the inlet water supply line for a water hose. I went from faucet to faucet then stool and shower until I thought I had all water out of all the lines. This is quite a time consuming process. Next spring i de-winterize and add water to find I have leaks under the floor between the stool and shower. I spend my camping weekend tearing out the stool (Luckily not the shower) and the floor it sat on to repair the burst water line. It was just a little droop in the line where enough water collected in the lowest part of the line to freeze it. I know people have used this method successfully many times but I have not. I got to do that all over again on my fifth wheel when I got it. Way too much work for that method for me. I use the pink stuff after using the air. I have to have it for the drains anyway. I am thinking this next winter I will just take it to a good shop and not worry about it. I know, shops freeze lines too but they are younger and better equipped to fix it than I am. That is my opinion and worth every penny it cost you. Lol! 😄

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 01-10-2015, 06:00 AM   #14

De-winterizing on the road.

I blow the lines out with air. Then go with the pink rv antifreeze. We have a W/D and I don't know how to blow it out so I run a cycle of pink thru it. By using the air I use less pink I think ??
As to sanitizing I've never done that. We carry bottled water for cooking & drinking.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter