Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #1

Hi: This is my first posting, im usually just reading others and trying to learn what I can, but today I need a bit og help. I was sitting up in Ventura on whats called Rincon Highway for a few days when I went to start my motor home today and the battery was dead. I was able to start the engine by using the coach batteries, even after driving home for about 90 minutes the battery was dead. I also noticed that the coach betteries had not been charged during my ride. Does anyone have any advise. What would "kill the battery and prevent the coach batteries from being charges by the engine running. If I turn the generator on the batteries will charge. Any idea? Thanks very much. My motor home is 3 months old. 2008 Voyage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #2

Hi: This is my first posting, im usually just reading others and trying to learn what I can, but today I need a bit og help. I was sitting up in Ventura on whats called Rincon Highway for a few days when I went to start my motor home today and the battery was dead. I was able to start the engine by using the coach batteries, even after driving home for about 90 minutes the battery was dead. I also noticed that the coach betteries had not been charged during my ride. Does anyone have any advise. What would "kill the battery and prevent the coach batteries from being charges by the engine running. If I turn the generator on the batteries will charge. Any idea? Thanks very much. My motor home is 3 months old. 2008 Voyage.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds to me like your alternator is not puting out or you have a bad batt. connection.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a bad alternator. To check if you have a multimeter put it on the battery with the engine shut off. You should be reading around 12.3 volts DC. Start the engine and you should read over 14 volts. If not your alternator is not working correctly. You have a new coach get it in for warranty work.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr.Steve:
Hi: This is my first posting, im usually just reading others and trying to learn what I can, but today I need a bit og help. I was sitting up in Ventura on whats called Rincon Highway for a few days when I went to start my motor home today and the battery was dead. I was able to start the engine by using the coach batteries, even after driving home for about 90 minutes the battery was dead. I also noticed that the coach betteries had not been charged during my ride. Does anyone have any advise. What would "kill the battery and prevent the coach batteries from being charges by the engine running. If I turn the generator on the batteries will charge. Any idea? Thanks very much. My motor home is 3 months old. 2008 Voyage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't have to worry about that it is under warranty. It could be any component in the chassis' charging system. Bring it in for service and get it fixed and the incident on the books.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Before you get to carried away thinking you have a bad alternator check the connections to the battery. If either the positive or negative cable has become loose corrosion can build up and even though it might appear okay the starter needs a good clean and tight connection. I can't remember how many times someone had thought they had a bad battery or alternator only to find out it was a loose battery cable.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Check alternator belt.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #8

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Mr. Steve , Welcome to iRv2.com .
Those are good advice . just make sure you put on a 10 amp battery charger on your chassis battery and after that is fully charge do the same on your coach battery.
then start it up and use your volt meter to see if it is showing at least 14 volts on the chassis battery. maybe the plug behind the alternator pop lose. being a new 2008 model something is not making the connection.
have you check all the fuses. My bet is in the INTELLIC distribution box by the motor.maybe need to hit the RESET BUTTON.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #9

My thanks to everyone. I really love having a resource like this site.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #10

May also want to make sure you don't have a battery disconnect switch stuck in a turned off mode somewhere.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
jfb

Christmas night at SeaTac airport, I found my Jeep Cherokee's new battery was dead. called out road service and jumped the battery to start the engine. Discussed potential problems with the tow truck operator and thought the alternator was bad, but the ammmeter indicated a charge. He suggested that I disconnect the positive battery terminal with the engine running. If the engine died, the alternator was not putting out. I did, and the engine kept running. Has not stopped since, don't know why the new battery died. Did find out, however, after many years, how to eliminate/diagnose one potential electrical problem....
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 AM   #12

If you disconnect your battery with the engine running you will blow out your alternator. Very bad advice.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #13

well heres the update...after initially dying in my driveway the battery now works , but the battery light stays on each time I start the engine. As I was driving to the dealer the light finally went out. Now my dealer is saying they can find no problem and they have had the motor home for a week now. Everything checks out. Any ideas? The symptom was the battery died after driving 90 miles home from a trip, the next day the motor home starts and the battery light stays on. I drive to the dealer and the light goes out and everything is fine. Drives me nuts. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #14

It sounds like a loose battery connection or cable (possibly on the alternator) or a bad alternator (as other have said).

Glen M is offline   Reply With Quote