Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dead House Batteries

Wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions for a problem that just started with our last trip. When our 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor is plugged into shore power everything is good. But when we are on battery power only and put a demand on the batteries such as lowering the levelers or trying to start the generator, the batteries are instantly discharged. The inverter will recharge them to allow the frig and backup camera to operate but nothing else. Batteries test good under no load. All fuses are good and circuit breakers are good. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Still sounds like a bad battery if they go down as fast as you say how old are they?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv View Post
Still sounds like a bad battery if they go down as fast as you say how old are they?
They were in the motor home when we bought it 3 years ago. We were thinking bad batteries, but just wanted to see what someone else's thought was. Thanks so much.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Dead House Battery

Thanks again.
We will try new batteries and see what happens.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #5

I would think it is the batteries. BUT, it could also be a bad connection. What do the battery post look like? When were they last cleaned?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I would think it is the batteries. BUT, it could also be a bad connection. What do the battery post look like? When were they last cleaned?
Everything in the battery compartment was cleaned in the spring when we de-winterized.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #7

Few agree, but I change out my batteries every three years....good or bad. Dead batteries in deep southwest Texas, fifty miles from no where be the start of a bad day. JMHO
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Dead House Batteries

Just want to thank everyone who gave advise with our battery issue. Happy to report that we R&R'd the house batteries and all systems are working normally. We are now ready to hit the road. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just replaced all 5 batterries in our motorhome. 3 deep cycle and 2 maintenance free for cranking. Interstate battery guy said 3 years is average life for deep cycle batteries in an rv. sounded short to me but he's been selling them for a long time. $126 each - 10% for old cores. 2 cranking batteries were original from 2003. Interstate supposed to be good brand. 12 months free replacement, 24 month pro rate warranty on deep cycle and 18 month free replacement and 24 month pro rate on cranking batteries.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #10

I have a different way of thinking about some things....batteries are one of them. As I said, I change out the betteries on my vehicles and toys every three years. I don't on my riding mower or tractor as I can get a new one in 20 minutes....however if my batteries go down on my Bounder and we are dry camping 20 miles west of Terlingua, TX....I would be in trouble getting any help. (no cell service and Marfa is 90 miles away) This is not worth the risk of spending $4-500 every three years to me. Yes, I only have 2 6v deep cycle and one 12v engine...half what diesels have. Ya got a $200K unit.....what is $500 every three years?

My opinion is if you buy a used coach and pay $50,000 or more and don't know the battery condition, ya change out the batteries, oil, filters, water filters and anything else that is time sensitive....AND you charge new batteries 24 hours to bring them up to 100% or they will never get to 100% once you use them several weeks.

When not using my Bounder, I put a "battery maintainer" on the house and chassis batteries for 48 hours or so. Yes, I have a 30 amp plug in my barn as well as six 120v outlets. I don't plug in the shore power often. Every two or three weeks, if I have not traveled, I open the barn door, start the Ford engine and generator, turn on the a/cs and let them run for a few minutes. This is what I do and it works for me.

JMHO (Just my humble opinion)

George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries