Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dead Water Pump

I have a relatively new Shurflo 5.7 water pump. The pump is getting power (checked the line with a VO meter) but the pump won't turn on when a faucet is opened. The pump's fuse is okay and the inside water pump switch works fine. The screen is clean and the water tank is full. Any suggestions other than getting a new pump? Thanks in advance.

Jack

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:16 PM   #2

This is probably a long shot, but when my Shurflo quit pumping, while I was playing around in the water bay I noticed if i squeezed the fuse holder the pump would start, when I released the squeeze the pump stopped. When I pulled the fuse it was a very cheap blade fuse with very thin legs. I replaced the fuse with a Buse brand and the pump works like a champ.

Steve

Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
there could be air in the pump if you ran the water tank too low before filling the tank. if you have a low drain that works under pressure, try burping the air out with the drain valve.
there is a pressure switch inside of the pump. sometimes tapping the pump where the wires enter it will start the pump to running. it is not good to have to do this when you are taking a shower.
the pressure switch can be disassembled and cleaned.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark
Exclamation

I have the similar problem, but....my pump, which is just a few months old, quite working. I noticed the house battery meter was showing they were dead(its a Micro Monitor II). I undid my connection to the pump and checked for power at the pos and neg leads, no power. I traced the leads to under the fridge and see if the connection was bad where the leads were connected to another set of leads. I cannot figure out this problem and its driving me batty. The batteries are brand new. I tested the batteries and they show 12.85v, so I know they are both fine.

Any ideas? This is a 2003 Forest River Windsong.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ace_Clark
Your problem - no voltage to pump - is completely different than Jacks. He has voltage to the pump.

May I suggest that you start your own discussion rather than confuse this one with a different issue?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jackm,
The pump is pressure controlled, so if there is pressure in the water lines it will not come on. If something pinched a water line or clogged it, the pump would see back pressure and stay off.

To determine if this is happening, disconnect the water line from the pump outlet and see if it starts to run. Look out - lots of water will flow!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting to see a May replay to a January question, especially since I have the same problem as the OP indiated. My 5.7 pump has been installed for about 3 weeks, and a couple of nights ago would not turn on. After troubleshooting it, I removed it and replaced with my backup pump, a 2.8gpm, and it works fine. This is the third 5.7gpm pump that has failed on me, each one with a different problem. In spite of the fact the Shurflo will undoubtedly replace the pump once again, I am seriously thinking of going with a Flojet. We are fulltimers, and shipping the pump to Shurflo and then having to have them call for a current shipping address for wherever we happen to be when they are ready to ship the replacement is getting to be an unwelcome hassle.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #8

Never had a problem w/the ShurFlo 5.7. Till yesterday. Pump started running continuously; gets hot as a pistol. Still making water tho w/poor pressure and obviously going to burn itself up if left to its own devices.

Some time ago and just for fun, I installed my spare 2.8gpm 40psi diaphragm pump on the coach frame next to the 5.7, and zip tied the flex line adapter kit hoses next to it. Today I crawled into the basement w/some red wire and a 10A GM-fuse-style breaker and wired power over to the spare pump, taking power from the 5.7's fuse holder using a spade connector, and wire-nutting the grounds for both pumps together. I squeezed the 1/2" OEM flex feed line from my tank shut using hose pinchers I carry. Then using the flex hoses & two plastic 1/2" short nipples, and a small bucket on my chest to catch the water, undid the output side of 5.7 and hooked up output side of the spare; undid feed side of the 5.7 & hooked up the input side of the spare. Wiring took about 30 min. Plumbing about 10, mostly to find the bucket & survey the proper order of work so least amount of water to deal with. Only got a dribble out of each side on opening the plumbing. Now the whole change-over to the spare should be about 10 min total.

I'm pretty sure ShurFlo will warranty the pump (less than 2 years old coach), but I'm glad I took the time to set up the spare. Odd thing is, the spare works about as well as the 5.7 did. It constantly surged which it is supposed to be designed to avoid, so I'm thinking it was never good from the start (I had no comparison before). So the best thing about ShurFlo for certain is the reputation for fabulous warrantee service. I'm also thinking that the power for this setup (+ and -) should be w/wire nuts, since it so easy to R&R the 5.7 that way.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Paul,
Consider stepping down to the 4.0 GPM ShurFlo pump. Because of all the problems with the 5.7, I replaced my 2.8 with the 4.0. It has worked fine for the 3 months it has been installed. It is variable flow. Unless one is operating two or more water uses, I can not hear the pump. It is very quiet. It pumps plenty of water for the two of us.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Ace_Clark
Your problem - no voltage to pump - is completely different than Jacks. He has voltage to the pump.

May I suggest that you start your own discussion rather than confuse this one with a different issue?
Where is the 'jacks' brought up in the topic? This is about a 'dead water pump'.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Clark View Post
Where is the 'jacks' brought up in the topic? This is about a 'dead water pump'.
Ace..The "Jack" being referenced is the Original Poster's name..RV Roamer did not mean "leveling jacks"...

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:47 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi,

I'm here to fill in the last (next) chapter. As with my first ShurFlo 5.7, I shipped it back and received a new replacement. Everything works fine again. There's a three year warranty on the 5.7 so I figure that I'll never have to buy another pump again. However, it is a little frustrating when a good product is unreliable. The folks at ShurFlo have been extremely fair (no questions asked return policy). In return, I'll probably stick with the pump until it dies again after the warranty runs out (or my "warranty" runs out). I'm sure at some point, the folks at ShurFlo will be able to work out the problems. Otherwise, it's a nice product. Thanks for all your input. Great forum...good group of RVers. Maybe we'll see you on the road.

Jack
Old 05-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
As with my first ShurFlo 5.7, I shipped it back and received a new replacement. Everything works fine again. There's a three year warranty on the 5.7 so I figure that I'll never have to buy another pump again. However, it is a little frustrating when a good product is unreliable. The folks at ShurFlo have been extremely fair (no questions asked return policy). In return, I'll probably stick with the pump until it dies again after the warranty runs out
Me too ...next time I get to a UPS store, I will be returning the 4th pump in three years ...we love the 5.7 pump's performance when it works, but when I can no longer get a new one via warranty I will buy another brand.