Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #1

Dealer purchasing perks and after purchase assistance

Are dealer perks (1 year free camping etc.) and rv walkthroughs/training better at some dealers than others. Is there something a dealer is offering other than fair price for the rv you choose that would sway you to buy from that dealer?
Road Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #2

My opinion only: It's all sales hype and strategy. As you know, nothing is free. For me, I'd rather have a deeper discount than receiving a lot of free stuff. Some will argue that if you feel you've made the best deal you can and are still offered a lot of free stuff, why not take it? I suppose but to me, that still tells me that you left money on the table and may have been able to negotiate further.

For me, the dealership's reputation for taking care of their customers after the sale has been made is more important than a free year of camping or other freebies they're offering. This includes a good PDI walk-through before delivery and fixing things under warranty once taking delivery.

Some dealerships have a pretty good reputation for this and some not-so-good or blatantly bad. I'd rather give my business to one that has a good reputation for these things and forego the free stuff other more shady dealers are offering. I tend to give my business to those with good reputations even if I have to pay a bit more or don't receive as deep a discount.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would check the dealer's service reputation. That would be more important to me than perks!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #4

Just my opinion but it’s all about price. Taking back to any dealer is a pain. None are that good at it that I would buy for service. We had a tow rig so looked at largest dealer by sales for rig we wanted. Drove 16 hours to pick up rig and went on ten week trip. Had one issue that a dealer in Billings fixed in an hour. No big deal getting an appointment. Saved thousands over in state dealers and Texas has some real large stores.

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
Just my opinion but it’s all about price. Taking back to any dealer is a pain. None are that good at it that I would buy for service. We had a tow rig so looked at largest dealer by sales for rig we wanted. Drove 16 hours to pick up rig and went on ten week trip. Had one issue that a dealer in Billings fixed in an hour. No big deal getting an appointment. Saved thousands over in state dealers and Texas has some real large stores.

Enjoy the journey
I'd generally agree, as you point out, if the discount is deep enough. However, just about every unit purchased new will have a punch list of items that need attention. Taking it to a dealer that you didn't purchase it from to get these things fixed is like pulling teeth to get them to do anything if they agree to it at all.

We've purchased several new motorhomes and it's really nice to have the selling dealer "take care of you" after the sale. There are some that once the sale is made, they act like they don't know you and do as little as possible to follow up on those punch list items or giving after-sale service. I've talked to many in that situation.

Yes, after the honeymoon period passes and all punch-list items are taken care of, then I agree, most dealers you'd want to stay away from.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #6

Thank you all for your insight.
Road Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #7

Hi Road, welcome to the iRV2 forums.

Free camping? Meh.

"Free" walk through of coach/RV and demonstration of systems? Should be included to start with unless you tell the dealer you don't want/need it. Bah and Humbug to any dealer that would charge you for this.

"Free" starter kit (sewer hose, holding tank chems, shore power adapters, etc) - if you need these, you'd be buying them anyway. They're built into the price of the RV and for the minimal amount of savings one would get, I wouldn't refuse them and expect another round of discounts.

It's not about the discount - it's about getting the RV you want at a FAIR PRICE and receiving value (not necessarily the lowest price) for your money. If you expect to do 100% of warranty repairs yourself - out of your own pocket, at least initially - go for the lowest price; if you want or need your dealer to take care of things (in or out of warranty), the dealer's service reputation is ultimately more important than another 1 or 2% off the price.

Anything that a dealer arranges on your behalf, like financing, insurance, extended service contracts, etc - are all profit centers for the dealer. You will save more by declining these add ons than declining some camping, hoses, leveling pads or chemicals.

Tags
dealer, purchase