Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I'd go to a dealer only to check out coaches/floor plans/options. Once I had that established, I'd go private, or possibly consignment. A lot would depend on how difficult a time I was having coming up with examples of what I'm looking for?
I have to agree .... this is exactly what we did .... purchased from a private party ... got to know the PO during the process ... much better perspective of the history, records and issues .... and how well the coach was taken care of ... not only based on what we were told, but the POs knowledge of his coach ... quite easy to determine ... but IMO a huge advantage ...
my thought was this reduced the risk of such a large purchase ....

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #16

Thanks for all the feedback. Has opened my eyes to buying from a private seller 😃

GN2ZDGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
To add to what has been said, if the private party unit has a lean on it you won't get the title until it's paid off.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #18

That's not hard. You just meet at the bank (lien holder) and handle the entire transaction all at once.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
That's not hard. You just meet at the bank (lien holder) and handle the entire transaction all at once.
Or you handle everything with a wire transfer with the lien holder. My bank wired the money on a cash purchase directly to seller's out of town bank; seller's bank sent title overnight to me. I left with motorhome once seller's bank provided me a copy of the title via email with a Bill of Sale and me confirming I had insurance in force. Took less than 30 minutes.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #20

Almost every used trailer, motorhome I have ever seen for sale a dealer has been disgustingly dirty, almost falling a part and tires out of date. I would never purchase a used unit from a dealer. They will tell prospective buyers anything just to sell a unit. Rather be informed and buy from someone who has an interest in the unit. Easy to see if it has been abused or taken care of.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #21

We purchased ours (2002 Newmar MADP) from a private seller and our experience was also very pleasant. I felt like I knew much more about the coach talking to the current owner and he had all the records for what he had done. Even ordered and installed a new air filter as it was time. He had a clear title so we just wired the money and picked up the coach with title. Even after the sale I called the owner with a few questions. Also had about 7 months left on an extended warranty that was transferred. Also purchased a blue ox tow bar at 1/3 new cost.

Prior to locating and deciding to purchase our coach I looked at a unit (2006 diesel pusher) sitting at a dealer. Even thought they knew I was coming to look, the coach was filthy, blank tank was stinking. Batteries unhooked so no power. Could not answer any of my questions about the previous history, did not have records handy. Tires way too old and looked it to be driving on. It was a newer coach than what we ended up buying but was $30,000 higher.
I feel we ended up with twice the coach with plenty of extra money to cover minor repairs or upgrades.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #22

We have purchased twice from individuals, and both times we were treated fairly and honestly. The first purchase, I was taught how to change the oil and trans fluid, every question was answered completely, we were encouraged to sleep in it overnight before doing the deal.

Second time, we were given all of the time we wanted to ask questions, every imperfection had a plausible explanation, and we were invited to the table when the seller dealt with the outstanding loan.

In both deals we were given phone numbers and sincere encouragement to call with questions. Both had at least some written records and evidence of proper maintenance.

Matt B
Old 04-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That only works if the title is held at the local bank. Both times I have had this happen the titles were held at the banks main branch in another state.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #24

See jeryan59's suggestion in post #19

Tags
dealer