Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Dealers Selling Extended Warranties (Caution)

My wife and I purchased a new RV from the RV Superstore in Mocksville, NC last year along with a 7 Year Warranty which ran close to $7400.00 for the extended warranty. 3 Months after the purchase we had an issue coming back from Florida and called Protective Xtra Ride to obtain guidance and guess what??? They had no record of us ever purchasing the warranty....

After several calls to the dealership due to no return calls, we finally found out from a disgruntled employee that our application supposedly had been filed along with the purchase papers and sent to a warehouse.

Also, we have had quite a bothersome time getting back our pro rated refund as it takes 6 to 8 weeks. I am sure there are reputable dealerships out there with a whole lot more customer-oriented folks than where we purchased ours. Just take the time to read the fine print and if you decide to purchase an extended warranty follow up on the registration of the contract because we have talked to two other couples that this same thing happened and it was at different dealerships!!
ddw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good advice! This is not the first time an RVers has found that the policy he paid for had never been sent on to the insurer. And not just those bought through an RV dealer either. Always verify with the actual insurer that your new policy is in existence.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Good post. Thanks for sharing. I'll expand on the advice a bit if you don't mind.

When we purchased our new coach in 2007 I had done my homework to be in a good position to negotiate the price of the coach itself... thanks to this forum... but, I was not at all prepared to negotiate on the price of either the extended warranty or getting everything outfitted for towing my Grand Cherokee. I probably could have saved another $3K to $4K if I had done a little more homework.

BTW, although we overpaid for it, we have been very happy with our extended wty.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote