Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #1

Decal Replacement

All of the decals on my MH need to be removed and replaced. I have received quotes of up to $6k to have a shop do it.
Has anyone replaced the decals on their MH. If so, could you give me some guidance.

Thanks
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From someone who's actually done it, you can do the removal by yourself. It does take time depending on how extensive your graphics are. You'll need a hairdryer and a plastic scraper. The hairdryer will heat up the old graphic and the plastic scraper will do most of the removal and will not scratch the fiberglass. You can also use your fingers once the edge of the graphic is raised to pull on the material to remove it. Just work with a small area at a time. It will come off in small pieces so it will take some time but you'll save yourself a lot of $. After I got everything removed I cleaned the residual adheasive (most of the adheasive came off with the graphics) with rubbing alcohol. Others will say to use other chemicals but I found alcohol to work really well and didn't have to worry about anything affecting the filon panels. Then, since the gloss was faded on the surfaces that were not covered by the graphics and the old covered surfaces were nice and glossy, I used a cheap 7" buffer with a fiberglass buffing compound to shine up the entire surface. Your quote of $6000 is high, mostly due to the labor of removal. I used a company in Mesa, Az and had a major graphics package applied for a little over $2K.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Try asking the manufacturer, after all, you are advertising their product. All they can say is 'no.'
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I, also, did my own, and the advise above is good. The only thing I can add is to buy a spray can of 3M general purpose adhesive remover. Sprayed directly above the decal and allowing it to get behind the decals will soften up the bond noticeably. The fun part is getting the new ones on straight!
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
3M also makes a big eraser looking thing that you can put on a drill or die grinder to remove what is left of the adhesive. It comes with instructions. Used this to remove decals on a motorcycle. Just be carefull, but your fingers wont be sore from rubing on the adhesive.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back in the late 70's I used 3M to remove a small section of decal off a fiberglass panel on a '73 23' Midas. Ended up taking off the paint. I'm sure 3M has improved over the years, but if using try in a small unassuming spot.
ElCajonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I used this product (3M stripe off wheel) to remove stickers from the fiberglass on my MH. I was very happy with the results, it worked flawlessly there is no adhesive left to clean up! LINK:
3M
Old 03-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #8

Had a fella do the decals on one side of my fiver last year. $550.00 just for one side. He did it at the house and was done in less than a day. For the entire fiver it would probably have been about 1100-1200 dollars.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

Decals

Ware do I find new decals for my coach?
It's a 1995 Damon Challenger 28'
John fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John fisher View Post
Ware do I find new decals for my coach?
It's a 1995 Damon Challenger 28'
You might try where I got mine. I also had them install, but they ship to you as well if you want to put them on yourself. They will copy your design and color or you can do what ever you want. Go to their web site www.rvsg.com or call them at 480-984-7939. They are located in Apache Junction, AZ.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #11

There is another option. My local RV repair shop also does body work. They recommended removing the old decals and painting the decal design where the old one was installed.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobg43
There is another option. My local RV repair shop also does body work. They recommended removing the old decals and painting the decal design where the old one was installed.
I agree with paint over decals...I just finished detailing mine I replaced 4 decals, but there was one I needed to replace but couldn't get. We painted it instead..I wish I had replaced all my decals with paint!

Tags
replacement