Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dedicated 120v circuits

I hope I have picked the correct forum for this. I have a 2000 Winebago Adventurer 35U with 30 amp service. I have been wondering about changing 2 120v receptacles from the RV system to a seperate line dedicated to these outlets and utillzing the 20amp, 120v plug in the pedestal. The 2 outlets are for the Microwave and the GFI in the Galley. We use this one for our Keurig coffee maker and the elec. skillet. They wouldn't be hardwired and would use plugs to change just in case the 20amp isn't availabe(probably rare as I have never seen this). Since the items are heavy amp draws it would keep my EMS from going ape---- and shedding systems to accomodate the draw. Just thinking. I would appreciate any info from experts in this field.???

Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today

Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #2

Shouldn't be a problem. Others do the same to operate 1500 watt space heaters

garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
new2RVn........I just did what you're asking about, but did it a little differently. If you change the outlets to a separate circuit, you'll loose the use of your generator and will loose use if there is no additional circuit at the power pole.

I have 50 amp service, but was looking for the additional 15/20 amps at parks with only 30 amp service. I was also looking to keep some high loads (electric heaters) from running through my builtin inverter/charger.

I just added two new outlets. I added one in the kitchen where we routinely plug in an electric heater in cold weather and one in the bathroom where my wife plugs in her hair dryer.

I found new outlets that matched my current ones and bought a roll of flexible pvc conduit to run 12/3 romex from my power bay to the two locations in the coach. I put a twist lock plug in the power bay and made a 15' 12/3 extension cord for connecting.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
new2RVn........I just did what you're asking about, but did it a little differently. If you change the outlets to a separate circuit, you'll loose the use of your generator and will loose use if there is no additional circuit at the power pole.

I have 50 amp service, but was looking for the additional 15/20 amps at parks with only 30 amp service. I was also looking to keep some high loads (electric heaters) from running through my builtin inverter/charger.

I just added two new outlets. I added one in the kitchen where we routinely plug in an electric heater in cold weather and one in the bathroom where my wife plugs in her hair dryer.

I found new outlets that matched my current ones and bought a roll of flexible pvc conduit to run 12/3 romex from my power bay to the two locations in the coach. I put a twist lock plug in the power bay and made a 15' 12/3 extension cord for connecting.
Thanks Don, The added recept. is a good idea. I can also run a new line to a recept for the micro and just swap plugs if I need the micro on gen. Might use your idea in the bath too as hair dryers are a big amp draw too.

Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Utilizing all the shore power outlets makes sense....
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #6

Just added a JTB Power solutions device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post

I just installed a JTB. It allows me to run my Second AC and a couple of 110 outlets for my wifes hair dryer in a 30 AMP park. I could have powered up my Washer/dryer or other 20 amp breaker but AC was more inportant to me. It is Ul approved and automatically switches back to the 50 AMP service if detected. Not hard to install if you can do the basics. It keeps the 30 AMP adapter cord cool because the JTB has its own heavy duty power cord with plug for 15/20/30 amp receptacle on the pedestal. They have a Web site and are on Facebook. Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The GFCI outlet may be a trick. However, that is how my rear air conditioner is wired

Mine is a 50 amp rig without a EMS (Which makes it much easier) I pulled the wire to the rear A/C out of the breaker box, replaced it with 1/2 of an extension cord (The outlet half, and a 12 ga cord, not one of the more common 14 or 16ga but a real 12 ga)

Ran the other half of the cord back to a junction box and hooked it to the wire I remived at the start. I plug the two cord halves together,, Works as delivered.

I pull the plug and then 1: I can plug in an air compressor or other device if needed on that side and 2: I use a 2nd 12ga cord to the pedistal as you described.

I found out this week that my air conditioner is low voltage protected, IT is smart enough to shut down if the 120v is not up to spec.. Kind of nice.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

That 20A outlet in the power pole is just daisy change off the 30A - rarely will there be a separate 20A feed to the pole. If the feeder circuit has a 30A breaker, that's going to trip when you try to use 30A + 20A. But if the pole has a 50A outlet, there is adequate power to feed both the 30A and the 20A as long as the 50 is not in use.

There is an ethical issue as well. If you rented and paid for a 30A site, you are not entitled to use more than 30A. Or at least that is what the campground owner has based his pricing upon. If you told him you were using a total of 50A rather than 30A only, most would charge you extra.

Just saying... you decide.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gary.....I agree with some of what you say. I'm not an electrician, but when you say daisy chained, it's no different than your house. Your house comes in on a single line and then multiple breakers are added to the same. I'm guessing that most have sufficient wiring to operate both the 50 amp and 20 amp or the 30 amp and 20 amp.

Ethically, you may be right, but I'm a 50 amp coach and I use mine so that I'm not running my electric heater through my inverter when we winter camp. Having the extra outlets is more of a convenience so I don't have to worry about my wife running her hair dryer for 4-5 minutes and tripping a breaker while dinner is in the microwave.

I'm trying to think of a situation where you would be using more power than you should. If you have a 30 amp coach and run both A/C's with everything else off and then run you're electric water heater later in the evening, along with your charging system after both A/C's aren't needed, are you cheating them. I think it might be a fine line that you decide to operate them all at once, instead of sharing the load later. Now if both your A/C's are running 24/7, that would be different.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That 20A outlet in the power pole is just daisy change off the 30A - rarely will there be a separate 20A feed to the pole. If the feeder circuit has a 30A breaker, that's going to trip when you try to use 30A + 20A. But if the pole has a 50A outlet, there is adequate power to feed both the 30A and the 20A as long as the 50 is not in use.

There is an ethical issue as well. If you rented and paid for a 30A site, you are not entitled to use more than 30A. Or at least that is what the campground owner has based his pricing upon. If you told him you were using a total of 50A rather than 30A only, most would charge you extra.

Just saying... you decide.
I have found that Most but not all Power Pedestals with 20 amp/15amp receptacles are not "daisy changed" if they are to standard electrical codes. However, not all.The older and the more Eastern parks are not up to code. It is easy to check when I plug in my JTB because I have a voltage meter plugged in to the "hair dryer" outlet. Even if the two are daisy changed (tapped/spliced) etc, by have two cords feeding the 30 amps to the coach, both cords divide up the load and they do not get hot when I run two ACs.

If the park has 50 amps, I use it. It is when the park only has 30 amps and 20 amps that I plug in my JTB. Talk about ethics, I have only had one park try to charge me for using more power this way. We agreed on $1.50 per day. LOL I told him I rented an RV space as equipped, no conditions but did not want to get kicked out for a stupid argument. Just won't go back to this place. Good Luck getting thru this hot season ya all