Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Dehumidifier ??

During winter storage, is it better to put a dehumidifier in the coach or a small electric heater ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #2

Good question. I am in WI and store mine in a storage building, never had done either in mine...nover found a need to nore did I want anything pluged in other than the battery minders to keep batteries charged.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The instructions for my dehumidifier say it won't work if the ambient temperature is less than 70 degrees.
MrIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have used 2 electrically dehumidifiers in our motorhomes for years, never have had any problems, and feel that it is a must in the damp, humid Pacific NW winter climate. The dehumidiriers I use are designed for use in a marine envirnoment so feel they are pretty safe, also they have a very low current draw. They have served me well and keep the humidity down below 30% in our MH when in use. Whether a dehumidifer is needed depends on you individual circumstance and preference.

This is a link to what I have used Air-Dryr 500 for years.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Depends on how close it is to you while in storage. If I couldn't check on it daily, I wouldn't want anything that's plugged in running in the coach. If it's next to your home, you could do either. Although I wouldn't want to have to go out to check to see if a water reservior is full when I'd have to shovel a path to the door to check it.

We store our coach under an RV port an hour away from us. The only thing I've done is buy a large bag of charcoal briquettes (the cheap ones, not Kingsford) & divide it up between 2 medium & 1 small plastic storage tub. The small tub goes in the bathroom, 1 medium sits on the bed & the other sits on the kitchen counter - no lids on the tubs. Never had an issue with moisture in the coach while stored over winter.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Depends on how close it is to you while in storage. If I couldn't check on it daily, I wouldn't want anything that's plugged in running in the coach. If it's next to your home, you could do either. Although I wouldn't want to have to go out to check to see if a water reservior is full when I'd have to shovel a path to the door to check it.

We store our coach under an RV port an hour away from us. The only thing I've done is buy a large bag of charcoal briquettes (the cheap ones, not Kingsford) & divide it up between 2 medium & 1 small plastic storage tub. The small tub goes in the bathroom, 1 medium sits on the bed & the other sits on the kitchen counter - no lids on the tubs. Never had an issue with moisture in the coach while stored over winter.

Lori-
Our rig is stored in the back yard, so that's not too bad. Wouldn't the water in the catch pan freeze ??

I've never heard of using charcoal. How does that work ?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I've only been thru 3 winters with our unit so I'm not an expert, but:

Would never leave an electric heater plugged in for that long. Just a precaution against an electrical fire. A large number of winter home fires start from electric heaters.

We put dessicant moisture traps in ours each winter, however, as we check it each month (its in a storage unit - not at home) they are never really used. For unknown reasons our unit remains pretty dry. So be sure its even a necessary requirement.

The charcoal is interesting. Never heard of that.

In Maryland. Winters have rain, snow, and probably 10 to 40 degrees mostly.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
Our rig is stored in the back yard, so that's not too bad. Wouldn't the water in the catch pan freeze ??
Yes, I think it would. You'd have to be checking it constantly during the winter or turn it off in below freezing weather. You might also have to check a manual for operating temps. MrIguana brought up a good point about them not operating below a certain ambient temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
I've never heard of using charcoal. How does that work ?
Just the same as any gel dessicant but cheaper. The charcoal absorbs moisture/odors in the air. I'm no scientist, so I don't know how it does it, but it seems to work for us.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote