Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

Delamination repair. The epoxy method. Does it work? Is it effective?

I've seen some YouTube videos showing an epoxy resin and hardener combination, injected under the filon skin with syringes and tubes, then the filon side of the motorhomes are pressed overnight, ( or for 24 hours or so ), with large clamps and boards of wood to rejoin, and fuse the internal layers back together again, thereby, ( supposedly ), eliminating, or greatly reducing the prior delamination. This method requires no wholesale cutting of sidewalls, and no replacement of structural sections of the delaminated area. Just epoxy injections under the filon skin, and pressure applied over time. Does anyone have any experience with delamination repair, ( this method )? Does it work? Has anyone tried this? What results were you able to achieve? I'm asking, because I've found a motorhome for sale that had a leak in its past, that was professionally repaired, but as often happens, only the leak was repaired. The delamination that resulted from the leak was ignored. So the bubble is still there. It's above and below the kitchen window, ( because the leak began up high, near the awning mount ), on the passenger side. No more leak, and no sign of any damage indoors. That was repaired professionally too. Just the delamination was ignored. So, I'm asking about the epoxy repair method, to help me determine whether this motorhome is a good deal, or not. And, yes, I realize that the best "delam." is "delam." you can avoid, ( which would be very easy for me ), because I haven't bought this motorhome yet. And, maybe I won't. But, in the meantime, I'm asking for answers? Please folks? Thank you all..
aviation1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

There's a couple of reasons skin will bulge. The worst, and unfortunately the most common, is due to water intrusion and the resulting rot of the ply underlayment. The second is stress, or possibly inadequate glue.

The rotted ply means there is nothing rigid to support the exterior skin. The epoxy has nothing sturdy to stick to, even if it could under the wet conditions normally found when things like this are pulled down.

Areas with poorly applied or possible inadequate glue might be a different story, that might make a worthwhile project. Door skins will do this on occasion, and make a pretty worthwhile project

Bottom line, these are big projects that typically grow by a factor of at least 10 when you get into them. For that reason, they are rarely practical - which is likely the reason why that "professional" repair didn't include repair of the delaminated area.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've heard of this method, no idea if it works.

I had a leak on my Class C. I decided to try and fix myself. I removed the window and trim around the overhead bunk. I then made a template out of plywood and 2X4's for structure. I was able to use large clamps around the window, from the inside. I then made a couple large bar clamps to span the distance across the coach on top and below. I prepped everything and tested the fit of the template. I used a polyurethane glue (gorilla glue) and used a long needle to inject the glue as far into the delam area as possible and the clamped everything together. The benefit of the gorilla glue is that i takes moisture to active so the delam area accelerates the curing. I used plastic to prevent template from sticking to side of coach. After letting the glue cure I removed clamps/template. The repair looked good. Put window and trim back on using the caulk required to seal. As far as I know the repair is still good, sold the Class C to a friends dad and he still has it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #4

Hey there "ahicks"... Of the two types of delamination causes and effects that you mentioned, is there any way to diagnose which type of delamination it might be, as part of a pre-purchase inspection? Yes, the delamination on this coach was the result of water intrusion long ago. All is dry underneath now in 2017, but all may be rotten underneath the delam. spot too. I don't know. The delam. spot begins just below the roofline, where the awning mounts, on the passenger side. The delam. spot is approx. 2 feet wide, by about 3 feet long, down the side of the coach. So far, I'm just relying on photos. I will see the coach in the flesh, for the first time, in a few days from now. Can I possibly push in on the delaminated area, and be able to determine if there's sufficient "luan" beneath the "filon" for an epoxy infusion to attach to? Would I be able to tell, if the space beneath the filon skin is sort of hollow? In other words, if it's not hollow, then I should only be able to push the filon in a little, as opposed to being able to push the filon in a lot, before feeling any contact underneath. Is that sensible? Just trying to assess whether it's "reasonable" for me to imagine myself getting the delamination fixed, ( or not ). If it's "not", then I will not buy this particular motorhome... It's like a big pimple, a zit, on an otherwise beautiful motorhome... Thanks... Russell
Old 03-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #5

There's a guy near here that's made quite a business for himself doing delamination repairs. He used to work as an RV tech at one of the bigger stealerships.

His method is a little different though, he uses PLnPremium construction adhesive that has been heated up to the point it runs like water, pours it in then spreads it as best he can with a long stick, then uses farm tractor tire inner tubes to push between the sidewall and the wall of the shop till the adhesive cures. It's both inexpensive and seems to work well. A friend had a large patch done 4 or 5 years ago, cost him $1k Canadian to get it done. It's still looking just fine.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #6

If your repair would be done by somebody other than yourself, I would put the coach out of your mind and move on to the next one.

If you are an accomplished do-it-yourselfer, you might want to look further into what is going on here. I would start with the area immediately inside the damaged area to see if the interior luan is sturdy. If not, just move on. If it is sturdy, with no signs of moisture (past or present), you may have something worth messing with - assuming you're up for the project.

I think applying pressure with your thumb or something in the damaged area may yield mixed results.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #7

To ahicks: Well, I'm somewhat of an accomplished do-it-my-selfer, but I've never done any repairs like this before. I'm willing to do the work. I just know, you probably only get one chance to do it "right". That's why I'm asking so many questions. One "Catch-22", however, is what you said about examining the luan for evidence of moisture, ( 'past or present', you said ). There was definitely water intrusion in the past. That's what caused the delam. in the first place.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #8

Murf2u: Please private message me, or tell me how you'd like for me to contact you? My wife and I are more than willing to take a drive up to Toronto, ( if we buy this motorcoach ), to get it fixed correctly. We would greatly appreciate the referral. Thanks... Russell

Tags
repair