Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post
Here is an excellent video on Youtube describing the differences between a DA (dual action random orbital) polisher and a true rotary style polisher. For you good folks that like to use machines for polishing and waxing, this is for you. I will say the Flex line of polishers are excellent but you will pay for them. Normally in the $300-400 per polisher range. Good instruments can be had at half or even a third of that cost.

Flex Car Buffer Polisher 3401 VRG vs. 3043 How To Detailing Using Rotary & Dual Action Polishers - YouTube

As for CampDaven, I'm the one who usually cashes those checks. I enjoy the challenge of getting something to look new.
Whatnobeer,
I understand this is also a very good quality polisher. Have you ever run across it or used it? Cyclo Orbital Polisher Model 5-Pro with ProGuard Backing Plates, Cyclo Pro-5 Polisher, Cyclo buffer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another believer in Rejex here. We do the whole coach 2 times a year and try to do the front before each trip. Do a small portion at a time in the shade by hand.

RejeX

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
....and another Rejex believer. Seems to be good stuff. I now use it on my street car clear coated wheels to make it easy to wash off the brake dust.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Glad to see this topic on the forum.

I have been doing detailing for many years, part time, including boats and RV's. I have found that many of us have favorite products that we prefer. I do too, but I often use the product someone wants me to use. if that makes them happy.
If you get a random orbital polishing machine you have the main tool. I bought mine from Grioits Garage. I buy the orange, blue and black foam pads from Harbor Freight. The machine makes easy work of removing oxidation and black streaks with a microfine compound. Use whatever polish you like best afterwards.
I look for products that have UV protection, such as 303 Protectant for the fiberglass and rubber. I found a waterless car wash product says that it has UV protection and it is very easy to use, so I like it on the painted sides. But, it does not last a long time. It's great on glass too.
Rejex and Liquid Glass last much longer. But, the best all round general purpose polish I found is Meguairs cleaner wax. I like to see what others use and may try what you like next time. I might use Poly-Glow on mine next time.
I don't seek out a lot of big RV's to detail because they are a LOT of work. But, I have done some for $12.50 a ft., including the roof, tires and wheels. That's probably not enough money for the amount of work involved. (Moving the 10' step ladder, going up and down it a lot) But, I guess it's good exercise and I like to do it once in awhile.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #33

I have used and like Meguairs cleaner wax a lot and it is a good one step product for a quickie. With some of the newer products like Rejex, etc. they are a 2+ step process the first time. No wax under these products is best. Polish to remove old product (wax) or go deeper, depending on your finish condition. Then the top product (Rejex for me until I find something better), which glides on and removes very easily to a clean/polished surface.
In the "cave" I use an electric SkyJack platform lift for high parts and helps me do a better job...less stress on the old bones and a good used one only costs the price of an Emergency Room visit after a bad fall from a ladder. (That is what you tell the DW).
Happy cleaning/waxing to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I have been doing detailing for many years, part time, including boats and RV's. I have found that many of us have favorite products that we prefer. I do too, but I often use the product someone wants me to use. if that makes them happy.
If you get a random orbital polishing machine you have the main tool. I bought mine from Grioits Garage. I buy the orange, blue and black foam pads from Harbor Freight. The machine makes easy work of removing oxidation and black streaks with a microfine compound. Use whatever polish you like best afterwards.
I look for products that have UV protection, such as 303 Protectant for the fiberglass and rubber. I found a waterless car wash product says that it has UV protection and it is very easy to use, so I like it on the painted sides. But, it does not last a long time. It's great on glass too.
Rejex and Liquid Glass last much longer. But, the best all round general purpose polish I found is Meguairs cleaner wax. I like to see what others use and may try what you like next time. I might use Poly-Glow on mine next time.
I don't seek out a lot of big RV's to detail because they are a LOT of work. But, I have done some for $12.50 a ft., including the roof, tires and wheels. That's probably not enough money for the amount of work involved. (Moving the 10' step ladder, going up and down it a lot) But, I guess it's good exercise and I like to do it once in awhile.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #34

+4 on the REJEX
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Whatnobeer,
I understand this is also a very good quality polisher. Have you ever run across it or used it? Cyclo Orbital Polisher Model 5-Pro with ProGuard Backing Plates, Cyclo Pro-5 Polisher, Cyclo buffer
Barlow...I personally have never used one but know of people that have. Most say you would have to pry it from their cold, dead hands. That to me is a pretty good endorsement. The nice thing with a Cyclo is it serves multi-purpose duty. If you buy the correct pads you can also do carpets, floors and ceramics. I don't remember how much one costs but it's not to bad for the uses it has. I hope that answers your questions.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #36

Some earlier mentioned the Klauss All-In-One wax earlier. I personally believe that is the best all in one you can buy for any vehicle. The stuff is amazing and does what it claims to do. I prefer the multi-step method of detailing vehicles but that's just me. If something works for you and you enjoy the results, run with it. I would never tell someone how to do something unless they asked for my help.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Klauss is what we use. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

I've posted about it a few times here at IRV2. It's incredible stuff.
http://www.rejex.com/
Great for windshields , especially if you encounter Live Bugs.
Do you know if you can use it on a Thor ACE TPO roof?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not much said here regarding coaches with just gelcoat vs full body paint. It would seem that products used might differ. Also no mention of bringing back the original look of body decals on the coaches that didn't get full body paint.

My coach has gelcoat, fiberglass roof, body decals and some body paint (Dupont Imron, no clearcoat as far as I can tell).

And what would happen if you buffed out the gelcoat and then did an automotive clearcoat?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Not much said here regarding coaches with just gelcoat vs full body paint. It would seem that products used might differ. Also no mention of bringing back the original look of body decals on the coaches that didn't get full body paint.

My coach has gelcoat, fiberglass roof, body decals and some body paint (Dupont Imron, no clearcoat as far as I can tell).

And what would happen if you buffed out the gelcoat and then did an automotive clearcoat?
Our 2006 Tiffin Allegro Open Road does not have full body paint and I think we have the same overall finish that you have including the fiberglass roof. As far as the decals go the ones on our coach are peeling and I am removing them and if I replace them it will be with paint. Rejex does a great job.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #41
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsfromaz View Post
Do you know if you can use it on a Thor ACE TPO roof?
The only two items I've ever used on my TPO roof were Murphy's Oil Soap ( as recommended by mfg )and occasionally dawn.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I've posted about it a few times here at IRV2. It's incredible stuff.
RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!
Great for windshields , especially if you encounter Live Bugs.

i just read about this product and ordered a couple bottles, I hope it goes on better than the buffing I did on the MH last year.
I'll let you know how it works, I'm using it on my 82 Pace Arrow.

Thanks Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote