Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Think that is good...the DD15 and the DD16 have a B50 life of 1.2 million miles.

I know you guys are going to ask so here is the explanation of the Diesel Engine Life Expectancy:

Engine makers use an engine-industry standard to design, test and estimate a product's life span. The result is the B rating, where B means the engine will produce power intermittently, with full power demanded no more than 80 percent of the time. (There are also A, C, D and E ratings based on different criteria.)

To the B is added a number indicating a percentage of a model's total population. For example, Paccar says its 12.9-liter MX diesel has a B10 rating of 1 million miles (the organized trucking industry's long-stated goal for over-the-road service). That means only 10 percent will not make it that far without rebuilding, or, to be more optimistic, 90 percent will.
Detroit Diesel says its DD13's B50 rating is 1 million miles, which means half of those engines should go that distance without rebuilding and half won't. The B50 for the DD15 and DD16 is 1.2 million miles. Detroit has many years of experience in such matters, so the estimates should be reliable. Other makers quote similar numbers. And careful maintenance of any engine should extend its life.

The B number also depends on the horsepower rating of a motor. A Detroit Series 60 at 470 HP setting will have a longer life than the same engine at a 515 hp setiing

Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I had a Detroit 6v92 in my previous coach and when I sold it the engine had 300,000 miles and still could fly all day at 70.
Current coach has an Detroit 8v92 which is even stronger and not even broke in at 140,000 miles

Ernie Ekberg, Bluebird Wanderlodge- 43
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
I started out on 71 series Detroits then went to 92 series which were better for power. 71 and 92 series were 2 strokes and were noisy and usually leaked oil. We used to call them green leakers screamin demons,or two stroke jokes. The 92 series we would crank up with a v12 pump and bigger injectors and I had one that pumped out 500 hp. I drove one truck with a 60 series Detroit 515 hp and it was a nice engine but the Jake on it wasn't as strong as the Cummins ISX. I also over the years had several Cummins Big cam 400's. We used to crank them to 450 or so and I preferred them over the Detroits back then. The N14 Cummins was a nice engine and now the ISX would be my engine of choice.

Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote