Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #1

Detroit diesel history?

Just a newbie a few years out from buying. Saw 2013 American Eagle offers a Detroit Diesel 500 hp and don't recall seeing that brand. Everything else is Cummins on my list of MH in research. Any history to share on the Detroit Diesel? Good move for American and FL? Others likely to follow? Or a cost cutting move only? I've truly no idea.

Just happened to be thinking whether other engines offered in coach types I'm considering, and saw Rdostal's posts. Not sure a good time to ask about general engine ideas given how disappointing his experience has become. But will ask now and hope folks aren't burned out on thinking about engines at the moment.

Spacemission

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Detroit makes a LOT of the diesel engines out there. Google could be your friend. As good as any BTW and they've been around for over 70 years. Used to be part of GM in the 30 and 40's.

http://www.demanddetroit.com/about/history.aspx

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

As Mr D says they have been around a long time. Many OTR truckers cut their teeth on the screamin jimmy 2 strokes. They make a good engine and service is readily available.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is likely the Series 60 Detroit which is a four stroke and a very good motor. I had one in my '93 Peterbilt.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
laj

Quit making the series 60 around 2006. If it is a Detroit it will likely be a DD 15. Still great motors
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #6

Many MCI tour buses today are powered by Detroit Series 60 motors.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #7

Thanks for the history link, had only seen some of it. AC Eagle is offering the DD-13 and I don't see anyone else using any DD engine in an RV. With their great history I don't understand why today's RV offerings in the 40+ DP seem to all be Cummins except for Maxxforce with Monaco and one other Maxxforce I saw. Why is that? Seems like a natural fit for Detroit Diesel. Saw the DD line started in 2008. So why just now seeing used in RV lines and only the one I've seen so far? Do FL and Spatan just have a long relationship with Cummins? I guess just trying to better understand the 40+ DP engine market dynamics and how they got that way. Foolishly perhaps.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Now that Daimler owns both Freightliner and Detroit Diesel, you can expect to see more Freightliner chassis offerings with Detroit engines. Cummins still has the edge in the mid-range sizes, though, e.g. 8.9L (the ISL engine) and 6.7L (ISB engine) popular in motorhomes.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Now that Daimler owns both Freightliner and Detroit Diesel, you can expect to see more Freightliner chassis offerings with Detroit engines. Cummins still has the edge in the mid-range sizes, though, e.g. 8.9L (the ISL engine) and 6.7L (ISB engine) popular in motorhomes.
Particularly true since Cat stopped building engines for on-road applications.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Detroit Diesel has been around for a very long time.
I only drove the 70 series in big trucks and while the service life was as good as, or better than Cummins or Cat, they where always undesirable because they where 2-stroke.
I don't know anything about the 60 series and newer, from what I have heard, they are just as good as the competition.
On the other hand, Cat has started making on-road engines again, I don't know if they will develop for the smaller market, but they are definitely hitting the ground running with road trucks. Cat Truck Engines | Power Options for the Work You Do
Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #11

I have the 8.2L Turbo Diesel V8 "Fuel Pincher" in my '87 Monaco DP. It has been very reliable and starts every time with a little smoke until it warms up, but it has been a big disappointment in the power catagory. It supposedly makes 230 hp with around 450 lbs of torque, and it is a 4 cycle, but really can't get out of its own way if there is a hill around. Fuel mileage has been good however at about 8 1/2 towing an 8,000 lbs race car trailer, so that hasn't been too bad.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Detroit Series 60 14 liter (846 cubic inch) 500 hp six cylinder diesel in my 2004 motorhome. The motor is unbelievable. I need all that power because of the weight of the motorhome. Other than an ECM software update I have had to do nothing other than change oil and filters. As I understand it the newer DD-13 and DD-15 are actually Mercedes diesels that Detroit has the license to build.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #13

My close friend has a pair of Detroit 671's in his boat that we rebuilt several years back. Really strong engines and parts very easy to get. No second thoughts on Detroit engines here!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #14

Thanks all for the insights. Sounds like we might start seeing a lot more DD engines along side the Cummins in the future. I don't know if the B50 ratings are controlled like MilSpecs in my industry, but the 1M mile B50 for the DD 13 certainly caught my eye.

Tags
diesel