Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #1

DeWinterizing -Newby Alert

Ok I found great info here and got it all winterized. Had a few nights in the 20's already and all looks good so far. Keeping fingers crossed.

Now when spring finally gets here what is the disposal protocol for the RV antifreeze in the lines? Is it the same as regular antifreeze as far as disposal or can I just send it down the sewer clean out into the city sewer system? Can you tell I'm already anxious for spring camping?

Thanks for the help!

DRKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The RV antifreeze is non-toxic, so just use lots of water to flush it out the lines dump holding tanks as usual. I use a wand to flush the water heater tank then put the plug in. I fill the water tank and add 1/4 cup of unscented bleach. Run the pump enough that the faucets run clear, (all the pink is gone.) Top up the water tank and let sit for about 4 hours or overnight. Drain tank and fill with fresh water, pump this through the plumbing system. Drain tank and run water until you don't smell bleach. You are ready for camping!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The RV antifreeze is non-toxic, so just use lots of water to flush it out the lines dump holding tanks as usual. I use a wand to flush the water heater tank then put the plug in. I fill the water tank and add 1/4 cup of unscented bleach. Run the pump enough that the faucets run clear, (all the pink is gone.) Top up the water tank and let sit for about 4 hours or overnight. Drain tank and fill with fresh water, pump this through the plumbing system. Drain tank and run water until you don't smell bleach. You are ready for camping!
What does unscented bleach smell like?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Read the MSDS for RV anti-freeze and you find the principal ingredient is Propylene Glycol, which in a chemical found in many foodstuffs we eat daily. RV anti-freeze may be safely flushed down a sewer.

Spritz, unscented bleach smells like bleach, scented bleach smells like lavender or whatever scent the mfgr. decided consumers want.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
What does unscented bleach smell like?
Chlorine. Scented bleach has perfumes in it. And it's weaker. "The scented bleaches contain a sodium hypochlorite concentration of 2.75%. Clorox Bleach – Regular Scent has a sodium hypochlorite concentration of 6%.” –The Clorox Company

In this case, cheaper is better.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You add one quarter cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of freshwater your tank holds and then let sit for 4 hours then drain. Then I refill with fresh water and about a half a box of baking soda let sit for an hour or so drain and refill.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow0120 View Post
You add one quarter cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of freshwater your tank holds and then let sit for 4 hours then drain. Then I refill with fresh water and about a half a box of baking soda let sit for an hour or so drain and refill.
2012 THOR Freedom Elite 26E: This C class fresh water tank is mounted mid height, passenger side, centered over the RH duals (axle) and seems interior enough to absorb HVAC heat. Black and Grey tanks have manual heaters. Fresh tank has no heater NOR A DRAIN (that I can find!) Vague manual language (manual for many Thor models is not specific at all....) leads me to think my outside shower (near inside floor level) is the psuedo FRESH TANK DRAIN???

COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED!! Thanks!!

Tags
winter