Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Diagnosing stupidity

While DH and I were eating breakfast before breaking down and heading home, we began to hear a distinct chirping sound from underneath the sink cabinet. Could not tell exactly from where it came and and could not figure out what sensor could be needing attention. As DH was putting away the tools he keeps in the bottom of the cutlery drawer (we have a two level drawer), there was the chirp--coming our outdoor temperature sensing unit we had not used in a while. Removed the batteries and it shut up.

Moral of the story is twofold. 1. Remove batteries from gadgets not regularly in use. 2. Do not automatically assume something in the coach is broken and needing repair.

Feel free to laugh. We did!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #2

Great advise, I always remove batteries from remotes, temp gauges, etc. They have also been known to leak acid after some time and ruin things.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well you found it so stupidity is not diagnosed.. Now a days diagnosing stupidity is fairly easy.. however alas. I can not tell you why.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I once took my RV back to a shop that had worked on it because there was a new strange noise from the dash area. I couldn't figure out what it was so drove back about 70 miles. My stupidity was I had turned up the volume on/up on the rear camera monitor and that made a lot of noise through the little speaker in the dash. I was pretty red faced when the tech looked around, reached over and turned the volume down. Another of life's learning experiences. At least there was no labor charge for resolving the problem.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well I have had my new (to me) coach for about 2 months. My first MH, first Class A, first DP. I have no idea how things are supposed to behave, what is normal and abnormal. The engine could be chewing itself to shreds and I would have no idea anything was wrong.

Had a full inspection before I bought, so I am pretty sure everything is in good shape, but I learn every day.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #6

We picked up a couple commercial type smoke detectors with strobe lights at a yard sale as thry were same as one already in the shop and placed them in in a drawer for safe keeping and was planning on installing later and as usual forgot about them until low battery on on chirped and drove us nuts looking for the noise.

Completely forgot about them...so when we found the one and fixed it all was well for 2 weeks until the other one went off...It was in a different drawer...

Both installed now...
Old 01-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
While DH and I were eating breakfast before breaking down and heading home, we began to hear a distinct chirping sound from underneath the sink cabinet. Could not tell exactly from where it came and and could not figure out what sensor could be needing attention. As DH was putting away the tools he keeps in the bottom of the cutlery drawer (we have a two level drawer), there was the chirp--coming our outdoor temperature sensing unit we had not used in a while. Removed the batteries and it shut up.

Moral of the story is twofold. 1. Remove batteries from gadgets not regularly in use. 2. Do not automatically assume something in the coach is broken and needing repair.

Feel free to laugh. We did!

You're now qualified to join the "DUH" group! I'm a charter member!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
One thing I learned years ago, and keep reminding myself...when something is amiss, look for the simplest and easiest problem to fix first. That's where it usually is.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Like said by others you found it yourself and it didn't cost you a visit to the shop.

I lived in a condo a few years back and a neighbor lady asked me if I could look at her bathroom sink. She said it is the strangest thing , it is buzzing!

When I went in to look at it I bent down to listen and it turned out to be her electric tooth brush in a glass on the counter was on.
She was terribly embarrassed!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
We picked up a couple commercial type smoke detectors with strobe lights at a yard sale as thry were same as one already in the shop and placed them in in a drawer for safe keeping and was planning on installing later and as usual forgot about them until low battery on on chirped and drove us nuts looking for the noise.

Completely forgot about them...so when we found the one and fixed it all was well for 2 weeks until the other one went off...It was in a different drawer...

Both installed now...
Yeah those high pitched chirps blending with the high pitch whistling in my ear, thank god my wife's hearing is good or I'd be driving around with all kinds of warning bells and whistles! Jacks down, co2 detector, smokes, lint filter clogged
Old 01-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

For me to check the most obvious source of the trouble at hand I usually just look in the mirror. ..