Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #29
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by popechops View Post
Cannot say how others managed it, but I have just recently completely removed off of my 1999 Monaco Windsor. I bought it used 4 years ago and it was already ruined. Previous owner had scratched the entire surface and over time it turned really black and nasty looking. I bought a package of 2 plastic chisels at local auto parts store. The larger of the two gave me enough leverage to scrape it off. Just brute force scraping. I tried a heat gun and immediately lost paint, so reverted to brute force scraping. It turned into a two step process. First scraping and then removing the glue with goof off. Took me every week end for about 4 weeks. I have before and after pictures and pictures of the tools. Will try to post the pictures.

Attachment 24945

Attachment 24946
Nice job Jim.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #30

Our Diamond Shield looked so bad that we bought a black bra for the front. Later while at Alliance Coach in Wildwood, Fl, we mentioned how bad the Diamond Shield looked under the bra. They said they would remove the Diamond Shield on front of a coach with no damage to the paint for $500. If in the area it might be worth it, as a new paint job can be expensive if you mess up. As of yet, we haven't come up with an extra $500 (especially since the bra was $600).
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gestexas View Post
I used a Shark clothes steamer and a soft scraper. Worked great on the Diamond Shield. Now to get the adhesive goo off. Any suggestions?
Papertowl scratches...FYI. Wipe a black car with a papertowl, and you'll see. Always use a soft rag. Dominion Sure Seal automotive sticker & decal remover or equivalent. Using proper products is always better. And that stuff is fairly cheap too.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:34 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Diamond shield

I am about to embark in the removal process for my 2003 Mountain Aire. I think this stuff is put on to get through the paint warranty term. It does look good for some years. The areas where I have removed it the paint looks new. I believe I would have had to paint the front of my coach by now without it. So I think I would have it put on a new coach. By the way, what do the little campfires mean under our names?
FOLEYMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #33

"I am about to embark in the removal process for my 2003 Mountain Aire."

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts AFTER you have gone through the process. LOL
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:14 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Smile diamond shield

And you only have one campfire under your name like me!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #35

I tried a couple of different heat guns on my Dutch Star and found that sunlight, not mid day worked best for softening the shield. I used a pretty hard plastic scraper, (not a soft Bondo scraper) and 3M adhesive softener using the same plastic scraper. I still removed some paint where rocks had impacted the surface. I still had to repaint the front and that cost some major bucks. Picture attached.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #36
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOLEYMECH View Post
I am about to embark in the removal process for my 2003 Mountain Aire. I think this stuff is put on to get through the paint warranty term. It does look good for some years. The areas where I have removed it the paint looks new. I believe I would have had to paint the front of my coach by now without it. So I think I would have it put on a new coach. By the way, what do the little campfires mean under our names?
The campfires are awarded for the amount of posts you submit to the forum.

0 to 9 = No fire
10 to 74 = 1 campfire
75 to 249 = 2 campfires
250 to 499 = 3 campfires
500 to 999 = 4 campfires
1000 to 2499 = 5 campfires
2500 to 4999 = 6 campfires
5000 to 9999 = 7 campfires
10,000 and up = 8 campfires
Each 5000 posts above 10,000 one campfire will turn blue

The user title is also dependent on the number of posts.

Junior Member = 0 - 29 posts
Member = 30 - 99 posts
Senior Member - 100 or more posts
FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems like it is the sun that is causing the damage. I have had the 3m "clear bra" on all of my cars, some for over 7 years and they all look perfect. Could be because they are all garage kept. It might be worth it to rig up a cover to block out the sun when you have it parked.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
campfires

So is it good or bad to have a lot of fires? Over 10,000 posts?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Mine is now 7 years old and still looks good as new. I understand it takes a (heat gun) to remove. If you use a soft cloth to clean and regular waxing works for me. I have seen some people that used a scotch brite pad on theirs and what a mistake it looks like spider cracks.
Tha_Rooster,
Gotcha beat pal, ours is "9" years old and looks as good as new except for where I scraped a small patch, about 1.5" in diameter on the lower left corner by hitting our retaining wall while backing the rig in it's parking spot. What an air head. Anyway, This topic of the Diamond Shield, 3M Vinyl or what ever product was/has/is being used has been on here a few zillion times and, I'm not sure just what the true reason(s) is or are, for longevity of that item to keep looking good without any discoloring, peeling, flaking, tarnishing, "cracking" etc.

I would assume that since our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon and, the film has been on there since day one, the primary reason it's still in very fine condition is the fact that that coach has never, seen a day of sun, unless the owners are in it, traveling, in camp spots, RV parks etc. The two owners prior to us, both kept it under, drive under covers. I built ours within a week or so after we bought the rig. I hate it when ours is in the sun camping but, not much I can do about it. So, again, not sure why some do that they do and get ugly and the owners take on the task of removing that stuff.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can tell you the issues I've had with it on my cars, I let the bugs stay on for days. When I finally cleaned them off you could see the splatters etched. I have one that is seven years old in is still in great shape. The one on my MH was there when I bought it and obviously want taken care of. So while it protects your paint you still have to take care of it.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diamond Shield

Hello everyone. New to the MH world. What exactly is diamond shield? is it similar to clear coat and do all MH`s have it?
Thanks
Mr.Papabear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No not all have it. It is a clear film that is applied over the paint and is designed to protect it from dings, bug acids etc. Diamond shield is one brand. 3m makes one and there are other lesser knowns out there.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote