Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Dicor Cool Coat

Has anyone placed the Dicor Cool Coat (2 part) product on their EPDM or TPO roof, and if so are you happy with it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Subscribed...great question...want to hear about this too

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Has anyone placed the Dicor Cool Coat (2 part) product on their EPDM or TPO roof, and if so are you happy with it?

JeffAZ
Yep, my son and I did it on our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V. My roof at that time, was about 75% black due to the sluffing off of the white coating. That was making it quite warm inside the coach and, not to mention, it looked like caca up there. So, I did a bit of research and found that the Dicor product was the only thing I was going to use up there.

Well, based on the requirements of the procedure, that was one seriously pain in the a$$ day. But, it was all done, in one 9 hour day. The requirements are, wash the roof real good with soap and water and a good brush. Then, apply the prep-primer to it and, PRESSURE WASH IT OFF! Yep, that's the exact requirement, pressure wash it off.

Then, what that's completely dry, you apply the first coat of Dicor coating. When that's dry, you apply the second coat. Keep in mind now, that was all done on a 95 degree day. Talk about some sweat. Anyway, about 4:00 in the afternoon, it was all completely done. That was about 5 years ago and that roof still looks good. And, it does not sit under any cover. Would I recommend it, yep, in a heartbeat. It's a bunch of work, in short amount of time but, when done, it's nice and in great shape for a long time. Below is a pic of the finished roof. Sure wish I'd have taken one before the coating was applied.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 PM   #4

Thanks for that detailed reponse, Fire. What is the finished surface like. It sounds like it would be more textured and rough, or is it as smooth as the original surface. Did it help with the heat insulation?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Thanks for that detailed reponse, Fire. What is the finished surface like. It sounds like it would be more textured and rough, or is it as smooth as the original surface. Did it help with the heat insulation?
JeffAZ,
Well Sir, the finish of that roof after the two coats of Dicor, was just barely a tad more rough or, "textured" than the original roof. After all, it has to be, being applied by a fairly thick napped roller and, it's like putting on a rubber coat which, has some ability to self level but, not entirely. I accepted the finish. Besides, what could I have done about it if I didn't accept it? It's not that rough or textured that it holds dirt or water, any more than the original EDPM surface.

Just keep in mind, it is imperative that, if at all possible, you do it EXACTLY the way my son and I did it. And that is, on close to the hottest day you can handle. That way, the roof is washed thoroughly, dried, then prepped and dried. Then, there's still time in the day for two coats with drying time in between those two.

When done in that fashion, the roof does not have time to gather dust and debris which, would hinder the adhearance of the new coats. Good luck.
Scott
Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

Yes, thanks Scott. I don't think I'll have any problem finding a hot and dry day this spring in central AZ!

Here's another question for you: Did you deploy any barrier along the roof perimeter on the vertical walls of the rig to protect the walls from the chemistry that you applied to the roof? I'm thinking like taping painter's plastic or something like that? And did it affect the concrete under the rig?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #7

Jeff,
Well, it's funny you ask. Yes, we did almost exactly what you're thinking of doing. And that was to tape up some plastic etc. But, what happened to us was, that tape got wet and, with the pressure washing running fairly close to it, it finally gave up the ghost and, the entire plastic sheeting just fell off.

So, plan B. I had the wife on patrol with a garden hose and a nozzle that you could select between straight stream and shower patterns so, that anytime there was a good flow of that prep solution flowing down the sides, she was on it with the hose to make sure that none of it contaminated the sides. It all turned out just fine. I did have to re-wax it, not too long after the roof was done. I did it on a frequent basis anyway. Hope this helps some.
Scott
Old 03-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #8

Boy, not much activity here. Fire Up is the only person to successfully accomplish this task? Way to go Fire Up!

My roof is in pretty decent shape, looks like we will get our home built this year with a big ol rv garage. I just want to get my roof thru another AZ summer in my driveway. I think at this point I will clean it well and apply 303 UV protectant.

Tags
dicor