Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
I see many people recommend this for cleaning.
It is a very dangerous product for most people to use.

It really isn't worth the exposure when there are many other products available.
I don't understand how you can say this product is any more dangerouse than acetone or any other product of this type. I have used it in my profesion for many other cleaning operations other than cleaning brake parts. I is approved by the EPA and is iviromentaly safe. Another product that works good is Denatured alcahol but don't drink it it can kill you.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I see many people recommend this for cleaning.
It is a very dangerous product for most people to use.

It really isn't worth the exposure when there are many other products available.
I also don't see the need for the "a very dangerous product for most people to use" caution. It is mostly made up of acetone, methylene chloride, tetrachloroethylene (except in CA and NJ) and is no more dangerous than any spray cleaner. It could run off the roof and damage paint, but if you use protective eyewear and gloves, as recommended on most every can I've seen, it's no danger.

I use it on brake jobs, but don't on prep for Dicor caulk. If someone does use it to prep, so be it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJS View Post
Thank you for your input. I have sent an email to them through the website, I'm hoping this is an easy fix. At first I thought I had selected the wrong product but the labeling says it works on fiberglass.
It is dry to the touch but still soft. It will peel back to an area that is still "wet" where it is still sticky.
Today I sealed a pipe vent and cleaned the surface with isopropyl alcohol prior to applying the dicor I'll check that later in the week and see if it adheres better. I'm at a loss.
NathanJS
Does Dicor recommend cleaning with isopropyl alcohol before applying their self leveling sealant?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
I don't understand how you can say this product is any more dangerouse than acetone or any other product of this type. I have used it in my profesion for many other cleaning operations other than cleaning brake parts. I is approved by the EPA and is iviromentaly safe. Another product that works good is Denatured alcahol but don't drink it it can kill you.
I'm not saying it - see below.

If you want to expose yourself to it that is fine. But recommending it to others without warning them of the risks is not appropriate in my opinion.

Short-term Exposure: Short term over exposure to a high level of n-Hexane usually causes temporary headaches, dizziness and loss of appetite, which abate once exposure has ceased. Whilst these symptoms may disappear, short-term exposure at this level is likely to also cause more permanent peripheral nerve damage as well.

Long Term Exposure: Long-term exposure to n-Hexane at lower concentrations may not cause any immediate acute side effects that are noticeable by the victim. Chronic exposure causes a gradual degradation of sensorimotor function, which is usually first noticed as a slight tingling or numbness in the toes and fingers. With continued exposure this can lead to more serious and long-term muscle weakness and loss of sensation.

n-Hexane Brake Cleaner | Nerve Damage | Vehicle Maintenance

=========================

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/hes...ts/aerosol.pdf
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I also don't see the need for the "a very dangerous product for most people to use" caution. It is mostly made up of acetone, methylene chloride, tetrachloroethylene (except in CA and NJ) and is no more dangerous than any spray cleaner. It could run off the roof and damage paint, but if you use protective eyewear and gloves, as recommended on most every can I've seen, it's no danger.

I use it on brake jobs, but don't on prep for Dicor caulk. If someone does use it to prep, so be it.
Please read the above PDF link.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not as impressed with Dicor as I used to be. I don't know if they changed the formula or what, but it doesn't want to set up like it used to. It thins out when leveling far more than it used to as well. I might switch brands. Whatever the factory used on mine is what I want, its great stuff.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I read it. Problem with all these cautions is that the most destructive solvent in the world is dihydrogen monoxide. It has killed countless people over the years, responsible for billions in damage as it slowly dissolves almost everything it touches. But just like brake cleaner, it serves a purpose. You have to weigh the benefits and judge the risks.

I think the brake cleaner sprayed on the roof of an RV is less likely to expose you to heavy concentrations of the volatile solvents than tucked under the fender of a vehicle in a garage.

Dihydrogen monoxide also has risks, but most folks still immerse themselves in it, spray it on their bodies, even take it internally. It's water.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #36

Quote:
I also don't see the need for the "a very dangerous product for most people to use" caution.
BFlinn181
I agree.

IMO following any suggestion or recommendation safely is the responsibility of the reader not the writer.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #37

Quote:
I think the brake cleaner sprayed on the roof of an RV is less likely to expose you to heavy concentrations of the volatile solvents than tucked under the fender of a vehicle in a garage.
It appears you know the risks in using brake cleaner. And, I support you using brake cleaner.

I think recommending it to others without pointing out the risks is not something a friend would do.

Also, considering all the alternatives there is really no need to recommend brake cleaner.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Only problem I see is that this "sky is falling" article is written by a competing technology manufacturer. I would wonder what risks there are to long term exposure to his product.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Only problem I see is that this "sky is falling" article is written by a competing technology manufacturer. I would wonder what risks there are to long term exposure to his product.
The California Department of Public Health has a competing product? What is it?
Old 08-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The California Department of Public Health has a competing product? What is it?
n-Hexane Brake Cleaner | Nerve Damage | Vehicle Maintenance

Thats the one I was referencing.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #41

Acetone is a common solvent that is very dangerous as the vapor can be an issue but it is a common known item and it has obvious warnings on the can.

Many "trade items" like brake cleaner or flux off may have not common chemicals that can do not expected things when not used as directed.

One of my techs found out the hard way that flux off instantly attacks plastics and many dollars later the equipment was fixed.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:39 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I beleave we have lost the intent of this thread and I am in part to blame.The important thing is to get the seface as clean as posible. Free of dirt. oils. waxes or any other contaminants that mite have come in contact with the surface.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor, leveling, roof, seal, sealant