Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #1

Dicor self leveling sealant not adhering to roof!

Hello everyone,

I couldn't find a more specific section to post this in so I put it here.

I am completely re doing the roof seams on my airstream cutter. It has a fiberglass roof. I have been peeling away all of the previous sealant and then cleaning the seams with water and applying the dicor over that once the water has dried. Today while working on removing some old sealant my foot scuffed against some dicor that I had applied a week ago and it peeled right off the roof! See the attached photo. I can't see any way this would be watertight.

I did not clean the seams with isopropyl alcohol but perhaps I should? It's been 100-105 degrees here so maybe that makes a difference? Any recommendations? Any help is appreciated this is a lot of work to have to do TWICE! This job is on pause until I know how to proceed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	136068  
NathanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nathan,

Sorry you are having this problem. I believe it should have a least "skinned" over and be dry to the touch. Might still be soft due to the newness and heat, but not come off as your picture shows. I would recommend you contact Dicor directly and send them the same picture and see how they respond. Maybe you got a bad batch or something?

Hope this helps.

John
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Forgot to include their contact information.
Dicor Corporation
2965 LaVanture Place
Elkhart, Indiana 46514
Toll Free: 800.837.2059
Local: 574.264.2699

Dicor Corporation | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
From your pict I would suggest that the roof didn't get cleaned enough before applying the dicor. Note the color difference where the dicor was. It wont stick to dirt. I have used dicor many times with great success.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

Thank you for your input. I have sent an email to them through the website, I'm hoping this is an easy fix. At first I thought I had selected the wrong product but the labeling says it works on fiberglass.

It is dry to the touch but still soft. It will peel back to an area that is still "wet" where it is still sticky.

Today I sealed a pipe vent and cleaned the surface with isopropyl alcohol prior to applying the dicor I'll check that later in the week and see if it adheres better. I'm at a loss.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
From your pict I would suggest that the roof didn't get cleaned enough before applying the dicor. Note the color difference where the dicor was. It wont stick to dirt. I have used dicor many times with great success.
Sir, what you are seeing in that pic is the white fiberglass gel coat that was protected from the elements by the old sealant. I pealed that off and then applied the dicor over the clean white gel coat. The dirty yellowish area is the roof that has been exposed to sun light, I did not apply the dicor to the dirty looking area.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJS View Post
Sir, what you are seeing in that pic is the white fiberglass gel coat that was protected from the elements by the old sealant. I pealed that off and then applied the dicor over the clean white gel coat. The dirty yellowish area is the roof that has been exposed to sun light, I did not apply the dicor to the dirty looking area.
OK. Then it should be sticking. It never gets hard but should stick. Let us know what dicor tells you.
I did my current rig with eternabond tape. Pricey but it works great.
Good luck.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #8

Attached another pic, this shows more closely what is going on. You can see the gel coat is pretty clean underneath. You can see the impression of the gel coat "marbling" in the dicor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	136069  
Old 08-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'm amazed! Every time I use that stuff I drip it somewhere, and it takes everything I got to peel it back up! Regards
Old 08-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadventure View Post
I'm amazed! Every time I use that stuff I drip it somewhere, and it takes everything I got to peel it back up! Regards
Do you do anything special to prepare the surface? Comments like yours are why I elected to use the dicor. I bought 16 tubes of the stuff to complete my roof. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it peeling back!
Old 08-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
I've been successful cleaning the surface with soap and water, rinse and let dry, then use acetone to prep the seam I'm going to apply the Dicor. It stays soft and needs a long time to dry all the way through. It skins over, but shouldn't be walked on, as you found out.

Is that line of caulk a seam? It also appears it's been laid on a little too thick.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I've been successful cleaning the surface with soap and water, rinse and let dry, then use acetone to prep the seam I'm going to apply the Dicor. It stays soft and needs a long time to dry all the way through. It skins over, but shouldn't be walked on, as you found out.

Is that line of caulk a seam? It also appears it's been laid on a little too thick.
Yes I was just trying make the seam the same width as the factory and also cover the screws. It comes out fairly thick and then levels out. I am new to this though.

Is your roof fiberglass?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #13

UPDATE-

I peeled back all of the dicor from this skylight. It was rather thick and not cured at all in some places. I inspected the front cap seam and noticed that the dicor there is adhering so far. I applied that section about two weeks ago and it seems thinner than the dicor on the skylight.

At this point I am looking at myself as the problem but I want to know what I need to alter for a positive result, since roof integrity is fairly important for the longevity of the coach.

So I plan to follow the advice from earlier to clean with soap and water and then acetone before applying the dicor. I will also try to apply it thinner, but I'm not sure how to do this when the seam is 2" wide?

I also plan to speak with dicor and see what recommendations they have. Thanks all for your input.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Not much I use a spray 409, and make sure the surface was dried! Regards

Tags
dicor, leveling, roof, seal, sealant