Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Did Camping World Wake-up

Justed stopped at Camping World West of Flagstaff, AZ and was I surprised. Store was fully stocked. Had a question about hitch for Service Manager and not only did he explain to me what I felt was a problem, he showed me that it was not and how much flex should be in my hitch.
I hope this is a new outlook on their part that the customer comes first.

2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I'm pretty sure that store just opened. So all bets are off for a company wide policy change.

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
The Camping World here in Vegas has really great employee's.. friendly, helpful. The thing I really have a problem with is their prices.. I can beat them everywhere. Their ON-LINE sales are a joke... by the time you add the freight it's more than in the store!!

Plus... you can't go to the store and get the on-line sale price!

Wasted advertising dollars..
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 32H
Many Places Full Time
No Dog * No Cat * No Co-Pilot
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Yup, it's one of those profit scams, yeah that's it, profit scams!
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
Da bastids!
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
Perhaps I'm in a very small minority, but I'm willing to pay more for good service. Like everyone else, I treat some things like commodities. Unless it has a service component, I buy based on price and availability. In some cases, I'll make the decision based on store loyalty. I avoid, at all costs, places that treat me in a shabby manner, regardless of how good their price is.

IMHO, much of what Camping World does is more service oriented than commodity driven. It is important to me that they have a selection of sewer hoses, not just one, and I'll buy from the store where I can pick the one that best suits my needs.

A part of service orientation is knowledge of products and, at the very least, where to find them. If employees don't even know their own store layout and, if they are out of stock on something that I want, how to help me understand my choices including how long I might have to wait to get it, that is lousy service - and I've gotten that from them quite often. When I special order something from them and pay in advance, I expect them to let me know about status changes on that item. A large part of Camping World's business is installing the products that they offer and that is where they really fall apart, IMHO. I've had several experiences with them in this area and only one of them was acceptable. They won't get another opportunity from me. They have turned many of the products that they handle into commodities for me since they proved to me that the quality of their service during the installation isn't worth anything. I'd just as soon do it myself. If it gets messed up, at least I can blame myself, not the employee who had been with CW less than two weeks and about which I lodged a complain as soon as he started the work.

In contrast, let me offer this. IMHO, Apple offers some great products. The iPod, the iPod, the Mac are all quality, well thought out and, for the most part, very well supported. People pay more for them. Profit should be driven by giving people quality products and services at a reasonable price. When a business doesn't value the service that it provides, noone else will either. Profit "scams" come when what is offered turns out to be a lot less value than what was represented. Apple charges a lot of money for its products, but I don't consider them to have scammed me. I often marvel at the elegance of the design and durability of the iPod (I have a Classic 80G) and don't believe that I was scammed. Service can be provided in much the same way.

I'll believe that they have "woken up" at the corporate level when there are signs in more than one location of consistent, customer oriented practices.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The only reason I buy anything from CW is because they are 15 miles fromthe home base, and they usually stock most everything I need in a hurry....like when my TST sensor fell apart.

If I don't "need it NOW" I buy on line...I'm a frugal bastich!
Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Any retail outfit is in the service business, i.e. the service of having stuff available in a store, and the service of knowledge about the stuff they sell.

I like CW for the selection and ready availability of what's in the store. If its online, I can do better money and delivery wise somewhere else, i.e. their online service sucks. As to knowledge at the counter, every trailer parts & service place I've ever been in has been more knowledgeable.

As to non-stocked items CW can order, that's a waste also. I tried to get an HWH solenoid valve there recently. I could order it direct from HWH for less and in less time. And CW stocked almost zero even tho they are listed as an HWH service location. Can't do service without parts.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Very Good experience with Camping World, Albuquerque, NM (West I-40)

Camping World is taking the leadership over all competition
Fleetwood Providence 2008 40e
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel 6.0L 2006
Honda CR-V 2006
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I just ordered a couple of things from CW. A new cover and tire covers. The cover is mail order only so picking it up at the local store wouldn't work. I do get to pay NY state tax though. So the site says 1/2 off shipping over $99, but wait the cover is flat rate so you don't get 1/2 off! Where does it say that? Ummm they don't know. The shipping for the cover that I imagine is heavy wasn't bad but it would be nice to see a disclaimer in the 1/2 off add.

Both items say "in stock" yet two days later I get an email that the cover is back ordered. Not in a rush but again it would have been nice to know.

I did search online for the items plus a water filter I will be needing and for the most part the prices were the best or competitive. Rejoining "Presidents Club" save enough on the cover to pay for itself and I got a $10 off coupon toward the filter.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I have found that in most cases, prices, product availabity, shipping, product quality and customer service are much better at PPL RV Parts and Accessories for Sale and one of the sponsors of this forum RVUpGrades RVUpgradeStore.com - Specializing in quality camper parts and RV parts and supplies.
04 Newmar DSDP 4015-Cummins ISL 370hp-Spartan MM Chassis-2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed-Ready Brute Elite Towing System-FMCA 402879-SKP 120487
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping world is a large company.. Laws of chance say you are going to find an exceptional one here and there.

Same is true of what used to be called Radio Shack.. Sometimes you find a sales clerk who actually DOES know what the heck he's talking about (I should know)

Even schools are that way.. Where I used to live is one of the worst school districts in the state (I think the worst) overall, but 1: It is the largest and 2: There are a couple of schools in the system that are rated 1 and 2 or very close to it.

That said.. It is nice to hear a GOOD report from time to time. I know they got to be out there but usually happy folks don't post

So thanks for posting.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
I have always had a good experience with CW and will continue to go there when I need to. The CW in New Hampshire did an oil change for me last fall that may not have been the cheapest I could have found but it included a safety inspection and tire pressure check that I found value in. I agree with chasfm11, but if I had to look for a criticism it would be that I usually spend more than I wanted to because they have a lot under one roof and they do have helpful people who are likely to be my age and can relate to me and not just sell to me. But thats just me.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The same day I gripe about the back order didn't I get the shipping conformation email. One day back order. Guess I have to take it back

Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote