Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Diesel additives

Have i2006 itasca navion and live in Indiana so winters are pretty cold-do I need to add any additives to fuel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

No. Just use No. 2 Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If your storing the unit for the winter just make sure the fuel tank is full to prevent excessive moisture from condensing in the tank
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Thank you
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #5

I keep the tank full and add "Biobor JF", an additive to prevent microbicides from growing thus stopping up the fuel system.
My maintenance regime
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstand View Post
I keep the tank full and add "Biobor JF", an additive to prevent microbicides from growing thus stopping up the fuel system.
My maintenance regime

Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is it typical to get microbial growth during winter storage? I thought that was a summer problem and low temps prevented growth?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I only use B/P extream diesel it has all the additives needed including for the winter months. Lubrication for the injectors, and micro growth inhibitors.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
Is it typical to get microbial growth during winter storage? I thought that was a summer problem and low temps prevented growth?
Depends on where you call home for the winter months......it was 75 here yesterday. 1 ounce per tank and I'm safe plus it does have lubrication additives also.
But yes warmer temps does potentially grow microbacteria, cooler/cold temps does not.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Elvis, I ran a Fuel Injection repair shop in Louisville KY for the last 15 years of my working career. Additives that I would recommend would be Stanadynes Power Products. They are the only fuel additives made by a fuel system company and is recommended by Cummins, Ford, Cheverolet, as well as other OEM's of equipment with Diesel engines. A good full tank of fuel properly mixed with additive should be driven for 50 - 100 miles and then stored and you should have no winter problems. If you have been using bio-fuel you may want to run that out of the tank and fill with the #2 diesel to avoid the separation issues bio-fuel presents. Any ADS authorized fuel shop carries the additives you need. Hope that helps.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Bounder View Post
Elvis, I ran a Fuel Injection repair shop in Louisville KY for the last 15 years of my working career. Additives that I would recommend would be Stanadynes Power Products. They are the only fuel additives made by a fuel system company and is recommended by Cummins, Ford, Cheverolet, as well as other OEM's of equipment with Diesel engines. A good full tank of fuel properly mixed with additive should be driven for 50 - 100 miles and then stored and you should have no winter problems. If you have been using bio-fuel you may want to run that out of the tank and fill with the #2 diesel to avoid the separation issues bio-fuel presents. Any ADS authorized fuel shop carries the additives you need. Hope that helps.
X2 We run Stanadyne year round in our three diesels mainly to protect the fuel injector pumps, but it works great for winter storage as well. We started using it years ago after finding it was the only additive recommended by the injector pump remanufactures in our area.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #12

Our farm tractors sat all winter with only a full diesel tank. In the 60 years my Dad owned tractors he never had a problem with "algae" which is an inaccurate term. Here is the skinny on that subject: Frequently Asked Questions About Diesel Fuel Problems
About diesel fuel additives; the hype has been dispelled with the results of this HFRR test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstand View Post
Depends on where you call home for the winter months......it was 75 here yesterday. 1 ounce per tank and I'm safe plus it does have lubrication additives also.
But yes warmer temps does potentially grow microbacteria, cooler/cold temps does not.
One ounce per tank? That must highly concentrated stuff.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ray, your link to the FAQ report says in question 10 you should add an additive for long term storage to prevent separation issues over extended periods.
As to the HFRR test that was a good test and a standard for many years, however when the low sulfur fuel and then the ultra-low sulfur fuels were introduced it was found to be insufficient as a stand alone test and the BOCLE test was added to find the true quality of the fuel.
Like you in my early days (the good old days) my recommendation to my customers was to stay away from additives and focus on buying good, quality fuel and a good filtration system. Unfortunately the move to reduce emission resulted in the lowering of sulfur in the fuels. This was not the problem though. The problem was the process to remove the sulfer, hydro processing also as a side effect removed the paraffins and the aromatics which were the backbone of the lubrication properties of the fuel. At first I scoffed at the findings and preached against the additives. Soon I began to see and experience the effects of the new fuel. At that point I began to believe in the additives. After the low sulfur fuel came the ultra low sulfur fuel of today. This just magnified the problems. Such is the price we pay for cleaner air for our children and future generations.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

One ounce per tank? That must highly concentrated stuff.

Yep it must be.

Actually the instructions say 1 ounce per 80 gal for the first dose then 1/2 ounce/ 80 gal there after. I just do the 1 ounce per tank and forget it. My tank holds 90 gal.