Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Cow Pee dispenser

TA Truck stops have a DEF dispenser on the fuel pumps. It takes a seperate fee and the hose is visibly different so you don't screw it up.The DEF dispensers I saw we're on the truck islands on the left side only of the coach.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #16

I see you are from the Space Coast. So are we. We live on Merritt Island. Small world.
JewelMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #17

I laughed years ago when I heard of them developing Urea (Urine) based chemicals to clean up diesel exhaust. Who would have ever thought that someday we'd be paying for "pee". Jokingly, if you run out of DEF you can simply urinate in the container, mix with some water and be on your way :-)
Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #18

DEF Fluid Trivia

I have been told by sales people that DEF is made from cow/pig urine and I let them talk. It is easier then standing there and having a serious conversation about "pee"!

Urea was first discovered in urine in 1727 by the Dutch scientist . In 1828, the German chemist obtained urea by treating silver isocyanate with ammonium chloride. This was the first time an organic compound was artificially synthesized from inorganic starting materials, without the involvement of living organisms.

More than 90% of world production of urea is destined for use as a nitrogen-release fertilizer.

Automobile systems: Urea is used in SNCR and SCR reactions to reduce the NOx pollutants in exhaust gases from combustion from diesel, dual fuel, and lean-burn natural gas engines. The BlueTec system, for example, injects water-based urea solution into the exhaust system. The ammonia produced by the hydrolysis of the urea reacts with the nitrogen oxide emissions and is converted into nitrogen and water within the catalytic converter.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelMcD View Post
Great, thanks about the name. i don't want to sound like an idiot when i walk in and ask for something that I don't even know what it is cal
Ok, I'm here to help. You've now learner the product is called DEF, it goes in a different tank, it is cheaper at the pump but to keep you from sounding like a idiot (your words) you fill a diesel MH with diesel, also called fuel. Never gas! Remove comment like "I'm going to gas up the MH "from your mind! Use fuel or diesel!!!!!!!!
Your welcome.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #20

94-Newmar - Love your idea!!
JewelMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
My Winnebago's DEF tank is 13 gal. It uses approx, 1 gallon per 1000 miles. I was unable to purchase while in Canada. Most Wal Marts carry the 2 1/2 gallon containers. But not all of them. Most Truck stops have it available. Some at the pumps, others sell it in the 2 1/2 gallon containers that you find at WM. WM tends to be cheaper. (The pumps are cheapest) I understand they have a use by date, however it can be stored for long periods if unopened. It will freeze! The info in the container will say that is ok as it does no damage to the product. If I remember correctly, Cummins has an explanation about the product on their Web site that is helpful.

Tags
diesel, fuel