Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had this question posted in another forum and was surprised at the answers that I got. I'd like to try again here.

I just changed the engine oil in my Cummins 5.9 ISB (2000 Georgie Boy Landau) myself for the first time. The dealer changed in before I picked up the RV last January and I paid to have it done again in June(following manufacturer's requirement of 15K miles or 6 months).

After the change, my oil pressure gauge shows much higher than I'm used to seeing. I have an un-calibrated gauge. It simply has the word "Normal" printed around the top of the gauge and has a center mark for the gauge between the "r" and the "m". Before, the engine would idle with the needle hovering around "N" and would move around "M" by 1500rpm. Now, the gauge starts at "L" and will move toward the right stop point if I increase the rpms. Fearing a problem, I shut it down before letting it warm up.

I used WIX filter 57182 which is supposed to cross with Fleetguard - LF3970. The only thing that I can figure is that filter might be defective or, in fact, is the wrong filter for my engine. I plan to call the local Cummins dealer in Dallas Tuesday, get them to determine the correct Fleetguard filter, buy one and install it. One of the questions asked of me is did I pre-fill the filter. The answer is no.

THe consensus of the answers that I'd received was that oil changes in diesels cause the pressure to jump and that I shouldn't worry. They were all talking about 90psi and I have no way of determining if mine is higher or lower than that with my gauge.

Is my concern justified? Am I on the right track to resolving it? Does anyone have a different thought? By the way, the oil was Rotella 15W-40.

Thanks,

Charlie

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had this question posted in another forum and was surprised at the answers that I got. I'd like to try again here.

I just changed the engine oil in my Cummins 5.9 ISB (2000 Georgie Boy Landau) myself for the first time. The dealer changed in before I picked up the RV last January and I paid to have it done again in June(following manufacturer's requirement of 15K miles or 6 months).

After the change, my oil pressure gauge shows much higher than I'm used to seeing. I have an un-calibrated gauge. It simply has the word "Normal" printed around the top of the gauge and has a center mark for the gauge between the "r" and the "m". Before, the engine would idle with the needle hovering around "N" and would move around "M" by 1500rpm. Now, the gauge starts at "L" and will move toward the right stop point if I increase the rpms. Fearing a problem, I shut it down before letting it warm up.

I used WIX filter 57182 which is supposed to cross with Fleetguard - LF3970. The only thing that I can figure is that filter might be defective or, in fact, is the wrong filter for my engine. I plan to call the local Cummins dealer in Dallas Tuesday, get them to determine the correct Fleetguard filter, buy one and install it. One of the questions asked of me is did I pre-fill the filter. The answer is no.

THe consensus of the answers that I'd received was that oil changes in diesels cause the pressure to jump and that I shouldn't worry. They were all talking about 90psi and I have no way of determining if mine is higher or lower than that with my gauge.

Is my concern justified? Am I on the right track to resolving it? Does anyone have a different thought? By the way, the oil was Rotella 15W-40.

Thanks,

Charlie

Old 01-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I've not had the oil pressure change after changing the oil, mine is pretty constant between "R" and "M". There is a Freightliner Service bulletin on the System III KYSOR MEDALLION gauges that gives the actual values for the indications. I'll scan and email to you if interested. For Oil Pressure The left edge of the "N" is 30psi, straight up is 45psi and the right edge of the "L" is 65psi. Normal range is 30-65psi.
The Cummins ISB Manual --Oil drain interval for Recreational vehicle is 15000 miles or 12 months (Pg 2-7). The filter should be filled with oil before installing.
By the way, I finally figured out it's much easier to go under the bed and fill the oil through the cap on the valve cover than trying to use the fill tube in the back. (always got more oil in my shoe than in the fill tube)
Hopefully someone can be more helpful with why the pressure changed...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:49 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you very much, Hooligan. Your post is very helpful to me, especially the gauge calibration information.

I had already figured out that the bed was an easier route to go with my gallon jugs. I also have a large, wide-mouthed funnel and only had a couple of small drops fall on the engine during the change process - an unusual situation for me during an oil change

I'm going to pull my ISB manual again. I scanned and faxed a copy to my extended warranty company and could swear that it said 15K or 6 months for intervals. I sure don't want to do this more than good PM requires.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't worry about engine damage with the gauge at the "L" but you surely want to find out what changed. Wix makes great filters, but it is possible that the store gave you the wrong one or that it did not mate up properly when you installed it. Perhaps the filter gasket got munged or came loose. I suppose it is also possible that an air bubble is temporaily reducing oil flow, though I would expect that to clear within a minute or so of starting and only happen on the first start and not on subsequent ones. Did you attempt a restart after you shut it down? Did the gauge do the same thing?

I would replace the filter anyway - they aren't that expensive - and lube the gasket with oil before carefully installing. You can pre-fill too, but as far as I know that is intended only to get the oil flowing to the engine a few seconds sooner, which avoids a little bit of engine wear.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update. I went to Dallas Cummins this morning and had them look up the Fleetgard filter number for my engine. They came up with the same number that I had. I bought the filter and, at home, prefilled it and installed it. I started the engine and the pressure immediately went to "L". I decided to let it run a minute or two this time, holding my breath. The gauge flickered and started to move downward. After two minutes, it had dropped to "A". I increased the rpms a little and the gauge moved back up but when I let up on the throttle, it dropped to "M". After about 8 minutes, the oil gauge was pointing directly at the center mark even though the temperature gauge was not yet registering.

I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the WIX filter. I had put oil on its gasket when I installed it and, when I inspected it after the removal, the gasket was fine. It was only about 5/8 full of oil when I took it off so pre-filling from now on is going to be SOP for me.

Thanks, Gary for your input. I appreciate the reassurance. You are probably right about the air bubble. By the way, I found that I can by the Fleetgard filters for $9.82 versus the $14.95 that I paid for the WIX. While I was there, I bought the filters for my next ONAN genset PM. They were just above half of what Camping World wanted for the same exact brand/filter numbers.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #7

chasfm,

When it comes to your generator, read my topic on Onan oil change. I hope you don't have the same problem I had.
If you do, come back here and tell us how it went.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, Tomcat. Thanks for the "heads up" on potential problems with my genset. I'm following the recommendations of 150 hours (it's propane) for the oil change and may dive in a little sooner, just because it has been nearly a year since it was changed.

Although I played in the wet ground today to finish the engine oil change and diagnose a problem with one of my jacks, I think that I'll wait for dryer weather to do a locations check on the genset. I have the air and oil filters and am trying to decide whether to change the plugs at the same time. It always starts but it also always takes three tries. My 1975 Johnson outboard always turns over on the second pull. That is the way it should be.

I'll be sure to post a genset thread if it turns out to be anything out of the ordinary.

Charlie
Old 01-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #9

Where is your article on the oil change:
chasfm,

When it comes to your generator, read my topic on Onan oil change. I hope you don't have the same problem I had.
If you do, come back here and tell us how it went.

Tomcat F15 [/QUOTE]
Old 01-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Journey, here (hopefully) is the link to Tomcat's post.
Chang'g Oil & Filter in my Onan 7.5 Diesel Generator=PROBLEMS bolts missing
I read it and sincerely hope that I don't have the problems that he did with the mounting bolts and getting to the oil filter. Like everything else that I'm doing for the first time on this MH, I'm sure that genset oil change will be some sort of adventure.

I was reflecting last night about how far I've been able to come in the RV world in the near year that we've owned ours. I'm very thankful to guys like Mike, Gary and Tomcat that have kept me straight when I considered diving into something that I didn't fully understand and warned me about potential problem areas.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad to hear everything worked out OK, chas. I know how you must have felt when the gauge went high like that - I've had to hold my breath a few times myself, wondering if it was going to settle down or not. It can be scary when you don't have a lot of experience to give you confidence.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, Gary. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in white knuckle moments. Part of my problem is that I DO have some experience. I've been changing oil in many vehicles for over 30 years and have never had a problem (it all started when I paid to have an oil change done - and it wasn't). In all of those years and oil changes, I've never seen anything like this. I still cannot even imagine the mechanical reason that caused the surge in pressure. Logic tells me the opposite - with cleaner supposedly thinner oil, the pressure should drop, not go up. I freely admit that diesels and MHs are a whole new ballgame to me. A couple neighbors who have worked on a lot of engines and I sat around trying to guess at the cause for the surge in pressure. I could understand it if the oil were cold but it wasn't - the outside temperature was 73 degrees and the oil containers had been sitting in the sun and were warm to the touch outside.

I guess there are somethings that I just have to accept and not try to understand why. It sure bugs me though.

Charlie