Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #15

Evergreen Owners Club
next election the price will drop again
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Quit sending our fuel overseas would help alot.
It's a world market, ships bring oil here, we send refined product back and make money for refining, we buy refined product overseas and send oil back.

After the 73 oil embargo, the Strategic Oil reserve was started to buy oil from overseas (Foreign oil was good then) and store it in the salt domes in Louisiana and also use it domestically so that when the rest of the world ran out we would still have our oil wells and the reserve. (That was actually a factor in the discussion on developing the Strategic Reserve and the LOOP. [Louisiana Offshore Oil Port])

How did that work out??
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Other factors to consider if you are serious and not just complaining based on emotion: The War on Fossil Fuels, Resources on "Federal Land" unavailable for exploration and extraction, Never ending regulations which constrain exploration and refining, Already mentioned - lack of refining capacity and refineries shutting down because of the cost of new regulatory requirements, No new refineries built in almost 40 years, And since oil is traded in US dollars it gets more and more expensive as our dollar loses value because the Fed continues to print money with nothing to back it up - inflation which does not get reported in government inflation statistics.

And also as mentioned, Supply and Demand. Increase supply by all means possible and the prices will go down. In a free market economy (something we really do not have) the Laws of Supply and Demand have always worked when they are allowed to.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #18

Diesel competes with home heating oil in the fall and early winter.............spring is near and diesel is now less than 5% more than gas. Happens most years and the break comes at different times depending on the severity of the winter.
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Now there is mention again of the cost of ethanol for the gas blending, shortage of corn for making it around our plant, who do you think is going to assorb this increase? changing weather around the country,1000's of acres of farm land dryed up, beef and other meats going up.........where does it end?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #20

Diesel Prices

I have spent time in the Williston Area and have seen what is going on with our oil drilling operations and have talked to the ranchers. Our State Dept. will not let U.S. Companys drill but others (Canadian) companies are drilling. Also Hillary and Obama will not approve the Keystone Pipeline. In a Gov. report we could have oil out of the ground at $16. per barrel. It is about time we stand up and demand answers. GOD BLESS THE USA. We have billions of barrels if not trillions of barrels in the Williston Area.
sportscoach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
next election the price will drop again
Really? MEH
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Right now the fed is printing more money, this lowers the value of our dollar so oil costs more on the open market. That is why we are seeing gas prices increase over the last 30-45 days.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we paid 3.99 yesterday in hillsboro texas
after we passed many that were 4.19 and up

a 4 dollar season will surely make us stay closer this summer
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just yesterday there was a big story about the big oil shale discovery on BLM land in California.
I'm sure there will be a lot of protests about this, but the govern,meant is already selling leases.

All things considered, just figure in your travel budget about $5 a gallon, and all the complaining in the world won't change it. The ONLY thing that will bring down oil prices is a world wide economic collapse.

We all knew that our hobby sucked a lot of fuel when we got into it.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
We are drilling more and keeping more here in the US. As a matter of fact we now produce way more here then ever before. The Chinese are actually the ones that are using way more than we are, we are using way less.
If you think the feds have anything to do with prices you are sadly mistaken, it's all on the speculators that got deregulated lots of years ago. Now they can do what they want.
I see blaming the president when the price goes up but nothing when the price goes down. Anyway the president nor congress nor the senate (no matter the party) has ANYTHING to do with prices of gas or diesel going up or down.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Supply and demand...they supply the gasoline and diesel and them they demand the money....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
If you think the feds have anything to do with prices you are sadly mistaken, it's all on the speculators that got deregulated lots of years ago. Now they can do what they want.
I see blaming the president when the price goes up but nothing when the price goes down. Anyway the president nor congress nor the senate (no matter the party) has ANYTHING to do with prices of gas or diesel going up or down.
While I agree... I feel the government is turning a blind eye because the higher the price of fuel, the more tax dollars the government collects per gallon... So in actuality, it is NOT in government's best interest to do anything to help relieve its citizens gas woes.

Also, if you MH guys think you have it bad, just be glad you don't own a twin engine boat... I have a 41 ft flybridge that holds 520 gals of fuel, burns 30 gals an hr. on cruise, and does 20 miles an hr. At $4.50 gal on the water, it costs me $135 hr to go 20 miles! In my DP, I can go about 250 miles with the same amount of fuel...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do

Since I retired I went to work for a national medical foundation as a volunteer. So yes indeed, I do work for a lot less than I could get.

This country runs on diesel.

When the price of diesel reaches intolerable levels one or more of the many budding technologies for making it out of sewage, old wood, lawn clippings, alge, French fry oil or whatever will take over.

What we really need is the 'Mr Fusion' adapter from Back To The Future.

I have a friend who brews his own diesel in his garage. It's not difficult if you have a source of good used fry oil. Would I burn it in a motorhome? NO WAY!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel