Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
You can lay some responsibility at the door of government when the keystone pipeline has been held up. Makes no sense as this oil would replace the oil coming from Hugo Chavez's Venezuela. And we know what uncle Hugo thinks of America. As long as the foot dragging and crusuading enviromentalist make noise, the price of gas and diesel will climb.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG
While I agree... I feel the government is turning a blind eye because the higher the price of fuel, the more tax dollars the government collects per gallon... So in actuality, it is NOT in government's best interest to do anything to help relieve its citizens gas woes.
I'm fairly confident fuel taxes are collected based on liquid measure sold (gallon/liter) not dollar amount paid like a sales tax. This is why the tax is in the per measure price at the pump and not added after pumping. And, if I'm correct - it's in the governments interest for vehicles to get the lowest mileage possible. Square peg - round hole - me thinks.

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I'm fairly confident fuel taxes are collected based on liquid measure sold (gallon/liter) not dollar amount paid like a sales tax. This is why the tax is in the per measure price at the pump and not added after pumping. And, if I'm correct - it's in the governments interest for vehicles to get the lowest mileage possible. Square peg - round hole - me thinks.
We sell gas at our marina and pay sales taxes on the dollar amount sold. Credit card companies love it since they make a percentage of the dollar amount every time you swipe...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At the refinery level we paid tax on barrels in and processed gallons out.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG

We sell gas at our marina and pay sales taxes on the dollar amount sold. Credit card companies love it since they make a percentage of the dollar amount every time you swipe...
Guess that's why I don't fill up the Bounder at the marina. Lol. Since the topic is diesel prices I guess it not off topic to inquire - presume the highway / road taxes are not included at the pump - but not sure what is in the price at the pump that sales tax is collected on. If the sales tax is less than those combined taxes it could be a wash.

It's been years since I had a boat but it was trailerable and I would fill up on land. It didn't take long to figure out back then that the most expensive motor fuel you could buy was on the water. It's been even more years since I had a tax job paying motor fuel taxes for a national chain of convenience stores that tried to become a refinery as well. They bought one but it was outdated and updating hydro-crackers nearly bankrupted them.

All taxes were on metered gallons and varied by state - for both gasoline - kerosene and diesel. Some were based on metered gallons pulled at the terminal when full loads were delivered (8k or compartments therein) and some on sticked tank measures at delivery. Temperature variations between pull and delivery time could work for or against the gallons taxed. Some states or localities collected taxes based sold gallons but they were calculated using the actual motor fuel tax rates for Fed, state, local and in some instances (New York) a gross receipts tax.

This was many years ago but all us Texans either own an oil well or two, or have worked at some time or another in the Petroleum Products Division of the family store. And of course, we all rode our horses to work every day, up hill both directions.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

And of course, we all rode our horses to work every day, up hill both directions.
Did you ride one of the special breeds that have short front legs so you remained level?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #35

Alright here's my 2 cents. When you have a Transportation Secretary, who by the way doesn't own a car, saying America should be more like Europe when it comes to fuel prices, and an administration who backs that thinking...well, that's a green light for the oil co's. to push the envelope as far as they can. Only time will tell where the tipping point is.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Alright here's my 2 cents. When you have a Transportation Secretary, who by the way doesn't own a car, saying America should be more like Europe when it comes to fuel prices, and an administration who backs that thinking...well, that's a green light for the oil co's. to push the envelope as far as they can. Only time will tell where the tipping point is.
MEH...

Do you even know who the Sec of Transportation is? Have you ever met him? Can you post something to back your statements? I think not because your whole statement if false.

Signed...DOT Employee.

BTW...that statement came NOT from Sec of Transp. (Ray LaHood) but from Steven Chu Sec or Energy prior to him being Sec of Energy. Not withstanding it could certainly be uncomfortable for the current administration...get your "facts" straight.

[self deleted stuff]

[self deleted] for goodness sake, lets discuss facts whether we like them or not.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Consider these thoughts about fuel prices, fuel economy and other factors affecting fuel prices...

1. There are many taxing authorities that have had to raise fuel taxes because cars are more efficient and thus less gas is being sold resulting in less revenue.

2. There are always seasonal and geopolitical causes for fuel price fluctuations that the USA can not manipulate.

3. Often the cause of upward fuel price fluctuations is NOT lack of oil but lack of refinery resources.

4. Oil companies want to make money...they will set prices to as high as the market can stand. They ain't dumb.

It is overly simplistic to say ANY President, congress or governmental institution can control prices in any long term sense without nationalizing the oil industry. I don't see that happening.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #38

and if everyone went on strike and diddnt buy any gas/diesel then they would jack the price up, to cover their cost...
we're damned if we do and damned if we dont...nobody likes it, but ya gotta drive..
next suggestion covert to veg oil, or you could always make it solar powered like the van off " honey i blew up the kids" lol
Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZy507 View Post
and if everyone went on strike and diddnt buy any gas/diesel then they would jack the price up, to cover their cost...
we're damned if we do and damned if we dont...nobody likes it, but ya gotta drive..
next suggestion covert to veg oil, or you could always make it solar powered like the van off " honey i blew up the kids" lol
NO...a strike wouldn't jack prices up enough to offset losses. Certainly there are entities that will pay a lot of money for fuel but at some point the glut of fuel in storage would eventually cause refineries to slow/shut down. If demand goes down, supply goes up, prices MUST fall. It is overly simplistic but basic economics.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #40

It is basic economics - supply and demand. There are a lot of diesel trucks on the road. You need the trucks to deliver "the goods".
The oil companies will get what the market will bear!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Did you ride one of the special breeds that have short front legs so you remained level?
That works for the uphills. LOL Make's down hill a real bugger.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

That works for the uphills. LOL Make's down hill a real bugger.
Don - I PM'd Bruce about the special Lazyboy saddles we used back then. Bruce was kind enough to provide the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla

You just need to slip one of these under the saddle ...
http://www.homehealthmedical.com/p/UPEASY-Power-Seat-/
Pack horse and generator not included.

Tags
diesel