Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Diesel Prices???

I have been tracking the price of diesel over past several weeks and there seems to be an upwards trend in price per gallon. Does anyone know why?
Have been comparing prices between CA, NV and AZ. The lowest I can find in Hesperia CA is $4.29 and in Pahrump NV $3.95. Spent the weekend in Shoshone about 4 weeks ago and filled up in Pahrump and if I remember paid $3.48 a gallon.

Martin
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having worked 27 years in the petroleum industry the best answer to that question came from a former refinery manager of mine. He said he learned a long time ago that oil companies will get as much as they can for their product. Would we really want it any other way when they are financing our retirements. There are darn few companies out there that take less for their product then they can get. Same with individual wages. Would you work for less then you are worth?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think if the powers that be had guts enough to stomp on the heads of the speculators and make them take actual delivery and pay the money up front you would see a big change.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
I think if the powers that be had guts enough to stomp on the heads of the speculators and make them take actual delivery and pay the money up front you would see a big change.
Seriously you think the price at the pump would go down without speculators? Where is the motivation for the oil companies to lower the price if we the consumers are paying x amount of dollars now. Even if they did and that is a BIG if government would probably step in and add more tax to make up the difference.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Wall street is the big controller then comes the oil companies and last be not least
is the retailer.
They all want to earn as much money as they can and they could care less about
the end user.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
You know, idiots in California blame the price rises in gasoline to the different summer and winter blends this maybe partially true but.......... there is no reason for diesel to go up as well as it takes less refining. At one point in time diesel was cheaper than gasoline. If I drive any slower to conserve fuel, I'll be going backwards along with creating havoc. Hopefully the government will listen to those who put them in power.

Martin
Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh they will listen alright, but it won't be anything most of us want to happen.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
A big bottle neck is refining capacity. Industry insiders I have spoken with tell me that the one sure way to reduce the price is to build more refining capacity. Since everyone says not in my back yard, we are stuck with what little gains the refineries are capable of.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Chuck,
All they would do is ship more overseas with the great amount they already do.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
Chuck,
I do agree in part to a possible bottle neck but not to the extent we see with price manipulation.
Martin
Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I am wondering how high it has to go before we all park the motorhomes? I have already changed my behavior due to high gas prices, such as staying at home when I would really like to eat out and I have slowed way down in my car and in the MH. I am looking at shorter trips in the MH but I won't give it up entirely. I also wonder at what point does the average family change behavior? I just got home from a Doctor's appointment and the interstate traffic is still going way above the speed limit, mostly in pick-ups and suvs. Go figure! If you drive the speed limit on secondary roads (55 MPH) they will run over you trying to pass and they get pissed off if they can't. The high gas prices hasn't changed behavior yet, but where is the breaking point? I suspect those of us who can, will continue to pay whatever it costs to take trips in our MH. I know I will go as long as I can afford it, even if I have to give up a lot at home to save up. I have started a "fuel fund" in my cookie jar that we affectionally call our "MoHo money"....just for fuel. That's my 2 cents worth.
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
27 years also in a 70,000 BPD Refinery here in Penna. Bottom line now and always has been: "SUPPLY & DEMAND"
We can't keep levels of inventory in our tanks ,and on top of the 70,000 BPD of crude oil refined , we are also at the other end of the refinery running 16,000-18,000 BPD of FCC charge! Making propane on top and asphalt out the bottom and everything inbetween and selling it ALL at a high rate of speed!
So now with this in mind tell me who is setting the prices?
I have seen it before over the years, not selling as much gas and diesel, tanks filling up, prices go down, easy math........
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quit sending our fuel overseas would help alot.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #14

I only complain about thing I can change.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel