Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We're on a trip right now throught Oregon and Washington. We're also seeing that Pilot, Flying J and Loves are all running .10-30 cents more per gallon. We fueled up near Coburg , Oregon yesterday and I found a Fred Meyer store for $4.22 a gallon for diesel. Everyone else was $4.39 -$4.59. The attendant asked if I had a Fred Meyer card and I told him no. He punched in a code and took off another .03 cents a gallon.

We use Gas Buddy when on the road . When we're staying at a campground and running around with the toad, we'll note the best prices and then use that station when we leave with the coach.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21
Have noticed that Flying J, Pilot and Loves truck stops prices are always more than regular gas stations. Near Atlanta, there was a station selling diesel for 3.87and a few exits down the road was Loves at 4.10. Are we paying for faster filling of the tank or what?
I think we are paying for free showers, parking places with AC, all this stuff is to entice the truck driver to stop, their companies are paying for the perks. I personally don't like the cash/credit discount. The truck drivers bring checks and get the discount, ask them if they will accept a check from you 2500 miles from home, most will not take a debit card, that is cash.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has anyone had experience using the Costco Amex card that is supposed to give a 3% discount for gas at gas stations? It does not work at places that are considered convenience stores. So does it work at truck stops and does it work for diesel?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #18

I used to own Tractor and trailers and have driven many company rigs for several million miles. We just arrived back at home in the RV with 6,900 miles racked up in three months, I will always buy at a flying J and pilot. The simple fact these pump thousands of gallons in a short time versus a small place down the street pumps a thousand a month. I prefer the fresh fuel in shiny tankers that are not thirty years old and tanks in the ground that could be much older and who knows how much algae is growing in them. When you buy as much fuel as I have out of my pocket you find out real quick who has clean fuel. A few pennies at the pump versus the price of fuel filters and injectors and fuel pumps is worth in the long run. Ask any RVer that has had algae problems and how much it cost to remedy the problem. It will shock most. But what do I know, I have only driven 5 million miles in a rig.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #19

All large trucking companies have a contract with the national truck stop chains for their diesel. It's a RACK PLUS formula, for most of the east coast it's the average N.Y . harbor price for on road diesel PLUS a negotiated markup. Then no matter which Pilot/T A (Both owned by the same company) that a large company driver goes to it's the same price, plus applicable taxes. The street price is totally irrelevant for 99% of the large truck stop chain business. You almost never see small to mid sized "local" trucking companies in these locations, it's to hard for them to meet the gallon requirements for these big discount deals. The local and small trucking companies use local people for the same type deals, most of the stations are not located just off an interstate exist, they will be more difficult for you to come by.
This will sound old fashioned, but the best way to find out where to get the best deal in town is by CB. There is always a friendly dump truck driver (many owner/operators) within ear shot that would love to help you out. Trust me when I tell you they are not paying 30 cents more a gallon when you can go just down the road to......
But most interstate travelers won't go just down the road, so you pay an extra $30.00 per hundred gallons every time you stop for diesel. So I guess the reason why they charge so much extra is, because they can.
BirdDoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Before summer I had applied for the Pilot/flying J charge card. quickly realized that travelling thru Oregon that there were not many Flying J stops. And when there were I didn't need fuel. The price is higher as was loves. I'm cancelling the account as I see no advantage to using it. Get a better deal with my credit card, although travelling thru the US I don't understand the price advertised for commercial vehicle, the price for credit and the cash price....I'm not gonna be running around with $400 in cash for gas for a couple days. Guess its another way of seperating money from the consumer......I woudl bet that 90% of people use credit or interact. But as consumers we would like to believe that we are getting a better deal for cash..LOL
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21
Have noticed that Flying J, Pilot and Loves truck stops prices are always more than regular gas stations. Near Atlanta, there was a station selling diesel for 3.87and a few exits down the road was Loves at 4.10. Are we paying for faster filling of the tank or what?
I got a BP card get 5% on purchases at BP and 2% at others, @ $4/ gal that is .08 for all. This discount comes off 20 gal, I usually put it in my tow car. At times I have got a $20. Discount on a fill up. Best deal I have seen
Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem

I got a BP card get 5% on purchases at BP and 2% at others, @ $4/ gal that is .08 for all. This discount comes off 20 gal, I usually put it in my tow car. At times I have got a $20. Discount on a fill up. Best deal I have seen
Look again. BP used to to 5% but now there is a complicated scheme of discount depending on how much you have bought. I have pretty much given up on BP because I am so disgusted with this change.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I still get the 5, it is 5% on every 100$, then it is accumulated on 20 gals, as I said when we are traveling and buy diesel I have gotten as much as 1$/gal on 20 gal
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
They did change the program but you still get thre 5%
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Penatgon Federal Credit Card (PenFed) gives 5% back on fuel purchased AT THE PUMP. They've offered this for the past several years without any limits. They take the 5% off of your monthly statement.

We found that in Oregon and Washington, they have the Fred Meyers stores. We went into the store to buy groceries and filled out an application for their discount card which is activated immediately. We've fueled twice there this week and saved .03 per gallon with the card and 5% with the PenFed card. They were also the cheapest diesel in Oregon and Washington. They were $4.22 a gallon, minus the .03 cents for their discount and .21 cents for the PenFed discount for a final price of $3.98 per gallon. That was $11.20 on one fill up.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Has anyone had experience using the Costco Amex card that is supposed to give a 3% discount for gas at gas stations? It does not work at places that are considered convenience stores. So does it work at truck stops and does it work for diesel?
Yes and yes. It works at any place that their primary business is fuel. That includes places like Quik Trip, but not 7-11 or Walmart.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #27

Anybody shop at safeway gas? Last fillup I paid 2.97 per gal for DF with my rewards points by shopping at safeway, yes I got 80 gall at that price
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #28

Pilot Charge Card

I like the convenience of the Pilot/Flying J truck stops and the comfort about the quality of the fuel.

I signed up for the Pilot charge card. The fuel is paid directly from my checking account and I get the CASH price plus a $.05 discount. Overall about $.11 less than the credit price.

So far it's worth it to me.
cpp8284 is offline   Reply With Quote