Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

Diesel prices at truck stops vs gas stations

Have noticed that Flying J, Pilot and Loves truck stops prices are always more than regular gas stations. Near Atlanta, there was a station selling diesel for 3.87and a few exits down the road was Loves at 4.10. Are we paying for faster filling of the tank or what?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #2

I think the price difference is based on fuel being purchased for commercial trucks (buying fuel to perform a delivery service) and for us who are using it for travel.
There are more knowledgeable members here that may chime in that know more about it.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Have noticed that Flying J, Pilot and Loves truck stops prices are always more than regular gas stations. Near Atlanta, there was a station selling diesel for 3.87and a few exits down the road was Loves at 4.10. Are we paying for faster filling of the tank or what?
my understanding is when the price swings up/down rapidly... like recently.
The highway stations move alot more product so their prices will be closer to current market than a station that buys once/twice a month.

On a recent trip I used the gasbuddy app to get a $.30/gal discount in the Atl area.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #4

There are many other truck stop brands and large fuel stations that are happy to sell you diesel fuel. IMO & experience they are usually cheaper.
Flying J, Pilot and Loves are always my last choice.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #5

Or maybe the truck stop chains are just greedy now that Flying J is "part of the club" instead of an independent competitor. I haven't bought at Flying J in over 2 years, since shortly after the sale, and probably never will again. We used to be a big fan, but as others have mentioned, when their prices are so much out of line, I'll just go down the street and save my $20 to $40 or more on each fill up.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
There are many other truck stop brands and large fuel stations that are happy to sell you diesel fuel. IMO & experience they are usually cheaper.
Flying J, Pilot and Loves are always my last choice.
Same here exactly. I treat FJ, Pilot and Loves like I do KOA...if I'm in a bind I'll use them but not if I can help it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #7

Why do so many truckers use them if they are higher? Last one I was at was backed up big time.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #8

Fleet accounts are billed directly to the fleet owner, and various fleet contracts give discounts. i.e. the truckers don't pay the "Pump Price".
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Why do so many truckers use them if they are higher? Last one I was at was backed up big time.
maybe because they are usually pretty clean facilities
maybe because they have a place to eat and a place to park
And maybe it's because the driver isn't paying for the fuel himself.
maybe the truck fleet owner gets a discount based on how much his fleet
bought over a period of time
And lastly if they are buying say 300 gals. at $.05 a gal. premium they spent an extra $15.00 for fueling at a place that they can access easily.

With $1000 deductible insurance I'd rather pay extra for fuel than risk an accident in a "tight-squeeze" place just to save a very few dollars.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #10

I would worry also about the quality / freshness of the diesel at the high-turnover locations like Flying J, Loves, Pilot. The cost of repairs / fixes due to bad fuel scare me more than the extra price at these places. Also, the faster flow nozzels help a lot when trying to push miles behind me......
Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Fleet accounts are billed directly to the fleet owner, and various fleet contracts give discounts. i.e. the truckers don't pay the "Pump Price".
BINGO--- That's the answer. We don't pay any where near the price the truckers pay!
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
I will use the pilot/ flying J's sometimes because they were some of the first to have the def (diesel exhaust fluid) pumps... but @ 30 to 40 cents more per gallon for fuel, usually I pass on the fuel and just get the $2.79/gal def versus the $12+ 2.5 gal bottles.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will get diesel at an independant truck stop, usually a little lower in price. I also like the easy in and out a truck stop will offer. Just have to watch where you step, so as not to step in spilled diesel fuel.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Never really noticed a price difference when we were travelling this past spring. We used the truck stops because it was way easier to get in, fill up, and get out when you are towing a dinghy. I've seen too many cases where folks get blocked by cars at regular gas/diesel station islands and you're stuck because you can't back up. And half the time you have difficulty getting out because there is so little space between pump islands and the gas station store.