Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #15

You don't need any additive-none zip. You will not have an algae problem if you keep your fuel clean, and the tank full when in storage. Only buy fuel from a high-volume station to reduce the odds of getting water/fuel mix.
Now if you WANT to buy an additive, read this: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith
I used to add biobor to keep the algae out of the fuel if sitting for a long time. Normally you do not need an additive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I don't think a biocide is considered an "additive." It should be used if diesel will sit for months. I would guess the OP is referring to an additive that claims to increase cetane rating, provide lubrication, etc.
I didn't say it was an additive. I said I used it when my rig was going to sit so the fuel didn't get algae in it. I also said no additives were needed. I guess if you add it to fuel it is an additive as it did not come manufactured into the fuel.

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Most of us don't drive our rigs enough miles in a year to hit the mileage limits of the engine or other lubricants so, just as I had to do with our gassers, we end up doing an annual service. As has been mentioned, that service on a DP will be a few hundred dollars more.

As for "having" to constantly put additives into your fuel tank, others have already exposed that statement for the garbage it is.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
D-S, it sounds like that salesman was going to make a bigger commission on the gasser. I've owned both and the diesel maintenance/service costs more, but its a few hundred a year more on average for the routine yearly services. If you want to assume the engine or transmission will blow up, thats a different story and not a very realistic one.
I use no additives except an anti gel additive if I leave the coach sitting for a few months during winter.
X2, many RV salesmen have no idea what they are talking about and it is up to the buyer to make themselves smart. Once I had a salesman, at a Camping World, tell me that he was waiting tables 3 months before at the Applebee's next door and his only RV experience was camping with his parents in a travel trailer.

If you have questions, this is the place to get them answered!
Old 07-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #19

Ask for another salesman. This guy has no clue.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
No additives required, even the engine manufacturers say NOT to add them unless the fuel quality is suspect. But that shouldn't be a problem anymore.
X 2!
I have never used anything in my fuel tank except diesel fuel.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles
Old 07-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sales rep didn't have a DP to sell you? HUH!
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #22

The only time I add anything to my tank other than diesel fuel is when I intend to store for over 30 days. If I put the unit in storage, I fill the tank, add a fuel stabilizer and an algae preventative. This may not be necessary, but it gives me peace of mind.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If your new to the diesel world, you need to understand a few things. First, there can be occasions when your diesel fuel can get water in it and create algae, probably more in moist/rainy areas. If this occurs, you may need to use an additive to eliminate the algae or it will plug your fuel filters.

You can also get into really cold weather where it's possible your fuel could get so cold it gels. Typically, fuel sold where the temps drop that low have an anti gel additive introduce into the fuel during these cold months. You can also buy an anti gel additive if you intend to travel in cold weather and you're not sure if your fuel has been treated.

DEF is a smog system fluid and really can't be considered a fuel additive since it's not added to the fuel.

Lastly, many have fallen back on the old adage , if Cummins or Cat doesn't recommend additives, you don't need them. This has now been proven wrong. I suspect that engine builders were leery of recommending any additives for liability reasons.

It has been proven that diesel fuel doesn't always meet the government standards for lubricity/quality. Now Cummins is stating the following: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/ht...additives.html

The link states: Cummins Filtration offers an array of fuel additive products to enhance the fuel system performance and support new emission standards. Changing regulations that have lead to the use of biodiesel blends and ULSD fuels have created unique maintenance needs across the globe. The addition of high quality fuel additives is now an important element in every good diesel engine maintenance program.

Even though Cummins now recommends additives due to the possibility of getting some poor fuel, it's not a necessity to do so. Many of us use additives and look at them as cheap insurance ( I use OptiLube). They increase the lubricity of the fuel which saves wear and tear on engine components. Others often don't want to pay the extra expense.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #24
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Obviously just another RV salesman that knows nothing about what he is talking about and more than likely never owned a DP
We were thinking the same thing!!!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #25
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
X2, many RV salesmen have no idea what they are talking about and it is up to the buyer to make themselves smart. Once I had a salesman, at a Camping World, tell me that he was waiting tables 3 months before at the Applebee's next door and his only RV experience was camping with his parents in a travel trailer.

If you have questions, this is the place to get them answered!

lol
Old 07-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #26
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
A pushers engine is bigger and you may or may not be able to perform that kind of maintenance yourself. While I'm fairly handy, I thought this was really at my borderline. THAT'S where you start getting increased maintenance costs, especially if you go to an RV dealership for everything.
Fortunately for us, we, my Dad and I, are old school mechanics, I use the term "old" very loosely, as we ain't old... My dad's profession was a diesel mechanic and I was raised up in the that world,,, so we can do a lot of our own maintenance. Saves mega bucks.

With that said, we realize the technology today verses what we used to work on is very different so we know our limits,,,, but for routine maintenance... yeah, we can do that!!!
Old 07-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #27
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Sales rep didn't have a DP to sell you? HUH!
evidently he did not...
Old 07-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #28

I have an older ISC 2001 w/Caps injection,I feel that since the USLD wasn't available then that I should add some lube for insurance.I put a Qt of 2-stroke motor oil every fillup.The injector pump was replaced @ 150K,(before I bought it,there's almost 250 on it now.The newer injectios were designed for it BUT you never know if the fuel has the proper lube on it.It costs an extra $3.00 a tank in the end probably a wash.

Tags
diesel, fuel