Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #29

I use an additive to raise cetane level as well as to keep the fuel from turning to algae in the filters. I do all my own oil changes, bought a huge rolling oil tray. I change the fuel filters at the same time so everything is clean and happy. I was afraid with the motorhome sitting a lot that I would end up with bad gas, that is why I change everything.

2016 Dynamax Force, Just Rite 2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #30

Almost all additives of almost every kind currently are snake oil.

Yes there are some for specific things but in general nobody should ever need any kind of additive.

Alge maybe but we will let that be for now.

Whenever anyone indicates a need for additive or modification the first question is always "what exact additive?".

Next is "why?".

Take a note or ask for document from manufacturer stating it is suggested.

Last is "will this effect my warranty?".

They usually start tap dancing by now...

Old 07-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"TQ60".....Did you get a chance to read through the thread or just post? The manufacturers ARE recommending additives! Go back and read the link from Cummins.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Per Cummins:

Cummins Filtration "offers" an array of fuel additive products to enhance the fuel system performance and support new emission standards. Changing regulations that have lead to the use of biodiesel blends and ULSD fuels have created unique maintenance needs across the globe. The addition of high quality fuel additives is now an important element in every good diesel engine maintenance program.
Most all Refinery's have a standard to meet with the engine manufactures/Government on fuel specs. Cummins offers additives for one to use, just like other manufacture's of additives do..........it a large business, and Cummins thought they just might as well get some it it
I did not see anywhere where Cummins states additives are mandatory Biocide for bacteria if needed is one thing.......if needed.
Just like after market Harley Davidson parts years ago, they warned that they could cause harm/injury if installed..........today, after jumping on the band-wagon.....they make the same part that use to come with a warning
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/bio...fications.html

My engine manual, states is was setup back then to operate on USLD, IN THE YEAR 2000!
So how long ago did Cummins know this was coming??
Makes one wonder............
The oldest diesel engine we own is a Ford 3 cylinder diesel in a backhoe, it runs fine on USLD...........1967 TO BOOT!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #33

I used it with our thor on F550 due to the cheap Bosch fuel pump. It was highly recommended to keep the pump from ceasing up. I also saw a small increase in mileage, not to much. I guess like everything else, this is all based on opinions but I dont mind using the additive, a little piece of mind.

2016 Dynamax Force, Just Rite 2
Old 07-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-S View Post
So I did look up the DEF and here is a very short explanation:
  • Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a urea based fluid designed specifically for use in SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) systems to reduce NOx emissions. DEF is API certified and meets ISO22241 specifications. Diesel Exhaust Fluid is non-toxic, non-flammable, colorless, non-hazardous, and very easy to use.
  • In 2010, cars and trucks with diesel engines sold in the United States must meet new U.S. EPA emissions requirements. To meet these requirements, many diesel engine manufacturers (OEM’s) have decided to use Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), an emissions after treatment technology that converts nitrogen oxides (NOx) in the diesel-engine exhaust stream into nitrogen and water vapor, two natural components in the air we breathe.
  • SCR technology is not new—it has been in use for many years in Europe but it is new in North America. SCR converts NOx to nitrogen and water vapor using a catalyst, the heat from the exhaust, and a diesel exhaust fluid (DEF). The fluid is injected into the diesel exhaust stream. The fluid and the chemical catalyst convert the NOx into the harmless gases.
The 2010 Emissions standards in North America have mandated that all on-road diesel vehicles manufactured in 2010 or later must be equipped with technology to reduce NOx emissions. NOx emissions need to be removed from the air because they contribute to global warming, acid rain, atmospheric particles that visual impairment.

from the website:
What is Diesel Exhaust Fluid?

huh go figure!!!
yep its not a fuel additive....its an exhaust flow additive
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
yep its not a fuel additive....its an exhaust flow additive
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #36

Yes read the posts but did not click on the links.

I still stand on my statements and the questions still apply.

If a manufacturer has created an engine that will not operate properly with out of the pump fuel and needs an additive then the questions to the sales guy would address the need.

Using them for old engines designed for old fuel that no longer has something in it then that would be a specific need and again the 3 questions would confirm the need.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:19 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-S View Post
I have a question! My dad and I are looking into purchasing a newer MH... Was considering going from a Gasser to a DP. A sales rep from a dealership began to explain to my dad the extra added cost of running a DP... in fact the salesman states that you must buy additives and add them to your fuel.

Any thoughts on this as to being true or not?
Just assuming on my part, but I believe the salesman was probably referring to DEF. Whether a "fuel additive" or not, it is an additive required for most new diesel motorhomes. Good luck with your search.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #38

All newer electronic injected diesels do not really need any additives in the fuel. The whole additive discussion is based on the switch to ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel) which had a lower lubricity than the previous LSD fuel. On older diesels with mechanical rotary injection pumps, it was thought the lower lubricity can increase wear in the inj pump.

The additives are intended to increase the lubricity, but they can also increase the cetane rating, which all diesels can benefit from. Whether you *need* the additive is a personal choice. I mix approx 1 oz/gal of 2-stroke oil for my older rotary inj pump diesels, but do not for my MH with a newer electronic injected engine.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #39
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
NO additives are needed if you get perfectly formulated fuel that meets the governments minimum standards. What you're MISSING is that both Cummins and the studies by independent companies are telling us that many times, the fuel we buy at any given station MAY NOT meet the minimum standards for lubricity set by the government.

It has nothing to do with ULSD, how your tractor worked or any other farm story. Yes, it's your choice and your money, so you can elect to spend the money on additives or not. The point is, engine manufacturers build their engines to run on fuel that is expected to meet certain standards. The problem is......that fuel isn't always what we get and there is no way of knowing if it is. I'm not a trucking company that can afford to rebuild engines as they break, so I'll pay for the extra insurance the additives provide.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:18 PM   #40

I have had my DP for eight years and do not use additive because the engine manufacturer does not recommend it. I always buy fuel at an active station to insure fresh fuel.

Tags
diesel, fuel