Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Diesel pusher fuel addititives

I have a question! My dad and I are looking into purchasing a newer MH... Was considering going from a Gasser to a DP. A sales rep from a dealership began to explain to my dad the extra added cost of running a DP... in fact the salesman states that you must buy additives and add them to your fuel.

Any thoughts on this as to being true or not?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No additives required, even the engine manufacturers say NOT to add them unless the fuel quality is suspect. But that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

However the new diesels require DEF to be added to a special tank and that does cost a little bit. However, the newer engines produce more power and use less fuel as a result.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used to add biobor to keep the algae out of the fuel if sitting for a long time. Normally you do not need an additive
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
However the new diesels require DEF to be added to a special tank and that does cost a little bit. However, the newer engines produce more power and use less fuel as a result.

I have seen this but did not know what is was....what exactly is it and what does it do?
Old 07-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-S View Post
I have seen this but did not know what is was....what exactly is it and what does it do?

So I did look up the DEF and here is a very short explanation:
  • Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a urea based fluid designed specifically for use in SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) systems to reduce NOx emissions. DEF is API certified and meets ISO22241 specifications. Diesel Exhaust Fluid is non-toxic, non-flammable, colorless, non-hazardous, and very easy to use.
  • In 2010, cars and trucks with diesel engines sold in the United States must meet new U.S. EPA emissions requirements. To meet these requirements, many diesel engine manufacturers (OEM’s) have decided to use Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), an emissions after treatment technology that converts nitrogen oxides (NOx) in the diesel-engine exhaust stream into nitrogen and water vapor, two natural components in the air we breathe.
  • SCR technology is not new—it has been in use for many years in Europe but it is new in North America. SCR converts NOx to nitrogen and water vapor using a catalyst, the heat from the exhaust, and a diesel exhaust fluid (DEF). The fluid is injected into the diesel exhaust stream. The fluid and the chemical catalyst convert the NOx into the harmless gases.
The 2010 Emissions standards in North America have mandated that all on-road diesel vehicles manufactured in 2010 or later must be equipped with technology to reduce NOx emissions. NOx emissions need to be removed from the air because they contribute to global warming, acid rain, atmospheric particles that visual impairment.

from the website:
http://www.mcphersonoil.com/def/what...exhaust-fluid/

huh go figure!!!
Old 07-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-S View Post
Diesel Exhaust Fluid, supposedly comes from cow pee and it makes the fuel burn cleaner with less pollutants coming out the pipe.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
D-S

National RV Owners Club
I thought since I had the questions, I would post my findings:

What is Urea?
There’s been some confusion in the automotive industry on what exactly urea is and how it’s utilized in diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) and AdBlue. With urea being a component in a variety of everyday products we use, not to mention our bodies actually produce a natural form of it, it’s no wonder there’s been misunderstandings in the marketplace.
Commercial grade urea, which is made up of synthetic ammonia and carbon dioxide when subjected to high heat can be produced as a liquid or solid and is being used in fertilizer and DEF. For DEF purposes it’s most commonly produce in the prill/granular form and is transported by super sacks or bulk rail car.
There does lie a difference in the particular type of commercial grade urea used in the solutionizing of DEF and AdBlue and the urea used in the production of fertilizer. Although they come from the same chemical compounds, the higher grade, environmental urea is stripped of all contaminates since the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system can’t tolerate them. While the fertilizer grade urea is solutionized with other chemicals including formaldehyde, allowing it to become a solid, making it easier to transport.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
You stated 'newer' RV. 2009 is when the DEF thing kicked in. That's why I looked for an older truck and ended up with an '06 that only had 29k miles - BUT does not require DEF. It's something that lowers emissions but is and added cost and another thing to keep looking at.

As to diesel vs. gas coaches, we were first looking at Class A's and I'd not have one that wasn't diesel. LOML decided she wanted a 5er due to the floor plans and interior design. I did a lot of research into the cost differences between a diesel pickup and a pusher before going ahead though.

My pickup takes almost 15 quarts for an oil change, but I can do that and fuel filter changes myself. Don't think I'm going to do any brake work though or anything other than periodic stuff.

A pushers engine is bigger and you may or may not be able to perform that kind of maintenance yourself. While I'm fairly handy, I thought this was really at my borderline. THAT'S where you start getting increased maintenance costs, especially if you go to an RV dealership for everything.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you can change oil & filter in a diesel PU, you can do the same on a DP !
Old 07-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Yes, but you'd better be ready to catch over 20 quarts of oil and replace a huge filter.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #11

We looked at both gas and diesel before deciding on diesel.Other things to consider are comfort.Motor in back instead of between driver and passenger,air ride instead of springs ,exhaust brakes coming down long grades.Comfort has to be worth something.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #12

D-S, it sounds like that salesman was going to make a bigger commission on the gasser. I've owned both and the diesel maintenance/service costs more, but its a few hundred a year more on average for the routine yearly services. If you want to assume the engine or transmission will blow up, thats a different story and not a very realistic one.
I use no additives except an anti gel additive if I leave the coach sitting for a few months during winter.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I used to add biobor to keep the algae out of the fuel if sitting for a long time. Normally you do not need an additive
I don't think a biocide is considered an "additive." It should be used if diesel will sit for months. I would guess the OP is referring to an additive that claims to increase cetane rating, provide lubrication, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #14

Obviously just another RV salesman that knows nothing about what he is talking about and more than likely never owned a DP

Tags
diesel, fuel