Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #1

Diesel pusher vs Super C

guessing this has been discussed before...thinking of upgrading RV's. Current coach is a Monaco Diplomat 38', 2004. Looking at either a newer Allegro Bus 36' or a Jayco Embark or Seneca...class C. Original goal was newer coach (just because) and to downsize. Used to the quality and ride of the Monaco. Would I be happy with the Jayco is the question. I have had an Allegro Bus before and was happy with it, so I know what I would be getting there...just no real history with the super C's...Dynamax/Dynaquest unfortunately out of the price range. I do tow a trailer, approx 7500#. Any comments much appreciated. Thanks!
cliffj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I can't help with your downsizing question, but welcome to the forum and best of luck in your search.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Don't believe you will get the same quality ride with the C. Your Monaco rides on airbags and the C is going to be on springs. Lot of difference in the ride. Why don't you simply ask a dealer about a test drive in the C you are considering. You might like it and the dealer might make a sale
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #4

A new Seneca may have the towing capacity for 7500 lbs trailer. But older ones will not. Embark should have the towing capacity. Like has already been said, ride will suffer.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
No question in my mind. The Class A is a better ride and more carrying and towing capacity. Go with the Class A.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CLIFFJ

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #7

Some bad info here so far.
The latest Seneca and all the Embarks are rear air ride NOT springs. I had a DP with full air ride and hated the poor handling and swishy ride. I got an Embark. It is on the Freightliner M2 truck chassis. I would NEVER even consider going back to DP of the size you are comparing. The ride is just fine in the truck. The good thing is it drives and handles like a real truck. With a 20,000lb. towing capacity.
They are a little noisier than a DP as the motor is in front. That is a good thing for service and an accident.
The Seneca may be a little weak for towing that much weight as it has the smaller ISB engine.
Renegade also makes a nice unit called the Explorer on the M2. It is priced about 1/2 way between the Embark and the Dynamax with much better quality than the Jayco.
A guy I know was pulling a similar weight trailer with a DP and traded for an Embark. After he did he wished he did it long before.
Good Luck
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #8

Cliffj - First of all Welcome to the forums here.

I am not sure you can generalize. Each rig is engineered and made different. My current rig is a heavy class A with 10 air bags. Rides and handles like a dream. I love it. But my previous motorhome was a small class A with a front gas motor rear air bags and front springs. It rode wonderful. Like a big Cadillac. The gas rig was an old GMC motorhome.

My guess is that if you get a rig with a chassis that is also used for UPS trucks it will not ride as well as a class A air bag rig unless there are a lot of modifications engineered in.

As far as springs vs air bags. You cannot generalize. As I said my old GMC had springs and rode well. Lexus, Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, and so on use springs with good results.

Weight is a factor in ride. Heavier coaches tend to ride smoother. A lot of weight cannot change direction as quickly as less weight. The motor being 40 foot away though in rear drive coaches is a big advantage in a quiet ride. Another big advantage of most class A vs super C is pass through basement storage compartments. You don't usually get those in Super C's. On the other hand I think getting used to driving a Super C is easier than a class A. Super C's are motor in front, steer wheels in front, usually a bit lower driving position, and that makes an easier transition getting from a car into a Super C. I am so used to driving our class A now though it does not matter to me. I really like driving our coach. Seams like you are in a big silent magic carpet.

By the way AZ99 - your comment about class A having poor handling and swishy does not include most of the better class A's I have driven. Many bus type coaches with air bags handle well and no swish. Mine drives rock solid and stays completely level around curves. That comes with 10 air bags and active air suspension.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #9

I just picked up a 2009 Silver Crown triple slide (Super C) two weeks ago. It's a 45' tag Freightliner with a Detroit 515 12 speed. Rear air bags and 40,000 pound towing capacity. My previous MH was a 40' American Eagle ISL400. Other than the engine noise (which subsides at crushing speeds) I have nothing negative to say about this particular class C. I purchased it in California and drove it back to Indiana (over 2200 miles) and it was an absolute pleasure to drive. I really like the idea of the engine in the front for safety and ability to work on the engine more easily. Also, I am finding that Class C's may be cheaper to work on in general. I had to replace a windshield....$150.00!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenrock View Post
I just picked up a 2009 Silver Crown triple slide (Super C) two weeks ago. It's a 45' tag Freightliner with a Detroit 515 12 speed. Rear air bags and 40,000 pound towing capacity. My previous MH was a 40' American Eagle ISL400. Other than the engine noise (which subsides at crushing speeds) I have nothing negative to say about this particular class C. I purchased it in California and drove it back to Indiana (over 2200 miles) and it was an absolute pleasure to drive. I really like the idea of the engine in the front for safety and ability to work on the engine more easily. Also, I am finding that Class C's may be cheaper to work on in general. I had to replace a windshield....$150.00!
Could you post pictures and ball park price , sounds perfect
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #11

Here ya go...I purchased the trailer with the coach.....

This one was $325k asking with trailer. There is a 2008 2 slide out there with matching trailer for $350k. Same motor 6 spd Allison
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1625
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	49329  
Old 11-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post

By the way AZ99 - your comment about class A having poor handling and swishy does not include most of the better class A's I have driven. Many bus type coaches with air bags handle well and no swish. Mine drives rock solid and stays completely level around curves. That comes with 10 air bags and active air suspension.
That is true but the OP was certainly not asking about units in the 10 air bag/active air price range.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Here ya go...I purchased the trailer with the coach.....

This one was $325k asking with trailer. There is a 2008 2 slide out there with matching trailer for $350k. Same motor 6 spd Allison
Now there is a motorhome! Nice unit. Congratulations and good luck with it.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I just picked up a 2009 Silver Crown triple slide (Super C) two weeks ago. It's a 45' tag Freightliner with a Detroit 515 12 speed. Rear air bags and 40,000 pound towing capacity. My previous MH was a 40' American Eagle ISL400. Other than the engine noise (which subsides at crushing speeds)....
Exactly how fast is crushing speeds?

Tags
diesel