Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #29

As several folks have pointed out, the answer is moot. Most of us are willing to agree that a 40 ft DP has a quieter cockpit than a 30 couple ft F-53 gas. We will also admit we see no reason to pay the significant upcharge for the dp. That is what it comes down to for most of us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
you do know the smart phone Db meters are NOT accurate. If you don't like the reading your getting...just us a different one until you get the reading U want!

5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Just to add another variable: My DP is much quieter in the front seats than my gasser was. However, if I pull over to go to the mid coach bathroom, next to the bedroom, it seems pretty loud back there. Not to mention additional vibration. The diesel seems to vibrate more than the gasser. ( no idea how to measure )

Here is my point/.question. You see all these zillion dollar coaches owned by celebrities, running up and down the road. I would wager that the noise, vibration and ride don't compare to our factory built rigs. With that said, brand X vs brand Z in factory rigs would experience a difference as well.

With that said.....more importantly, what can we do to make my unit quieter? Considering I have addressed.1. Pots, pans, and dishes. 2. Rig rattles like blinds, doors, etc.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #32

The bottom line is it really doesn't matter everyone has their reasons for buying whatever. The study will have no merit either, there are too many variables and everyone is not testing using the same variables(roads, grades, location of device ect)or even using the same measuring devices. You can make statistics work anyway you want for you, but like said if you need this to justify your purchase, or claim to be better maybe you are doubting your own decision. So what is the next study, New vs Used, and a graph of money spent/saved in purchase cost and money spent/saved in repairs and downtime in the shop between New/used MH's. At least that one would have some merit to it, as nobody really knows for sure, and anything can happen. I think all of us "Gas" owners know a diesel will be quieter(at least in the front) than a gas model, but then again that's not why we made that decision.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #33

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
What??????????????...I can't hear you I'm the owner of a Gas MH....Pun Intended. Really who cares, it's all a matter of choice. I didn't choose a gas over a diesel for the noise aspect, ours is actually pretty quiet unless climbing a grade, even then not bad. I chose a gas MH because I can do all my own maintenance. Do you really need to do studies, graphs, charts ect...I think everyone knows a diesel MH is going to be quieter in the drivers seat...the engine is in the rear, and my "smart" phone didn't tell me that.
I am in total agreement with you!

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that moving the engine 40 ft to the rear that it would be quieter.
It is a matter of choice!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #34

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
The bottom line is it really doesn't matter everyone has their reasons for buying whatever. The study will have no merit either, there are too many variables and everyone is not testing using the same variables(roads, grades, location of device ect)or even using the same measuring devices. You can make statistics work anyway you want for you, but like said if you need this to justify your purchase, or claim to be better maybe you are doubting your own decision. So what is the next study, New vs Used, and a graph of money spent/saved in purchase cost and money spent/saved in repairs and downtime in the shop between New/used MH's. At least that one would have some merit to it, as nobody really knows for sure, and anything can happen. I think all of us "Gas" owners know a diesel will be quieter(at least in the front) than a gas model, but then again that's not why we made that decision.
I would just like to add this to your thread.
If you are purchasing a Coach and show up with a meter and note pad and want to take the unit out under all varying conditions. Climbing hills and windy conditions. And yes temp conditions make a difference with mounting rubbers and large plastic dashes.

You probably won't find a Dealer willing to spend time with you. Being that picky you would probably be more anal about other things and that would scare a dealer off.
I'm not much for sales people but I have to sympathize with them when strange requests are made that are out of the normal.
Also how does a person get interested in a survey like that.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
A fairer comparison would be.........

1. Comparing a gas engine in the FRONT to a diesel engine in the FRONT.

2. Comparing a diesel engine in the REAR to a gas engine in the REAR.

I would venture a guess that the gas engine would win both of these comparisons.

A gas engine, in the same location, is much quieter than a diesel engine in that same location.

Plus, I have never heard any complaints of a gas engined motorhome warming up, in the early AM, before leaving a campground.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #36

I am impressed with the amount of time some members have to spend on this kind of noise material. And to make this a sticky, really? Almost daily I see something about gas vs diesel, ride comfort, noise, mileage, wind noise, which is better.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow......some need to take a chill pill! It was just a fun suggestion.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #38

It is all cool to me... some interesting readings !!!! no pun intended.....
Old 04-04-2016, 11:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Wow......some need to take a chill pill! It was just a fun suggestion.
Oh come on Don, my first post to this was tongue in cheek and I thought maybe the OP was joking. But as it continued some seemed to take it more seriously. It starts to get old, gas vs Diesel, and which is better. There is really no better, it's all a matter of choice and what works best for you.

I seem to remember you getting a little heated in other posts when the New vs Used debates were going on and you saying It gets old when people talk like those of us who bought new were stupid, wasting money, frivolous, or those saying "keep buying the new ones so us used buyers can buy your MH for cheap". It's the same insult just a different topic.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #40

In for some results
Old 04-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Will a double pane window be less noise then a single pane?
Tinted or non tinted have a difference?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #42

Thanks. I measured 45 dBA sitting still in my CRV at a light and 68 dBA doing 50 mph on a smooth road. Interesting seeing the difference in what are essentially similar vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I downloaded Noise Reader for Android yesterday. To have any accuracy at all it needs to be calibrated. I took readings in our 2011 CRV on smooth asphalt, 45 mph, 30 mph crosswind. My result was 55 dBA. Sitting in my study at home gives me 26 dBA.

I don't think that results will be comparable in that there are too many variables involved in taking sound readings in a moving vehicle. Type and condition of the pavement, velocity and direction of the wind, type of tires, background noise, calibration of the app, type of phone and the microphone sensitivity, vehicle speed and engine rpm, year of the engine and transmission, etc.

Tags
diesel, gas, noise