Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Would this be with or without the wife yacking?

Just checked, the Play Store for Android had a dozen of them for free.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #16

My pusher is so quiet I can hear all the other stuff rattling about... DW not included....
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The older I get the quieter the RV becomes...
My diesel was a noisy as my gassers until I spent hours getting all the rattles out.
Wind noise is the worst for us on our diesel.
If my wife would get my attention first, I might listen.
If we would get all the pots and pans out (many duplicates) or isolate them all the rattles would be gone.
Then a good dB reading could be taken.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Common sense tells me the further from the engine the quieter the driver's position.

Many gas engined coach are noisy because of improperly installed or gasketed engine covers.

How about adding a front engined diesel (FRED) to this study.

I downloaded Sound Meter. I'll check my noise level in a few days.

-Tom

"My wife either has a hearing problem or she is just ignoring me!"

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Shouldn't we also take a reading in the bedroom to keep things unbiased?
Dick
My wife does'nt allow any recording from the bedroom !!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #20

Downloading the app and want to be part of this...
afrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I propose to make this a sticky topic. Let's all actually measure the noise level of our MHs and post it in this thread.

Troublemaker

Really, this is a great idea.

But, to be fair, we have to all rally and drive the same stretch of highway in the exact same wind conditions. Then, we can compare readings at the after-party

I put one of those iPhone app decibel meters in our cockpit on a rough stretch of highway near the house. It rang in at 86dB at the driver's seat, 84dB at the passenger seat, and about 79 in the living room. Then, I got the wife's Honda Crosstour out, and drove the same stretch in the same wind, at the same speed. It showed about 79.

On the Interstate, I imagine that your late model Fleetwood will be nearly as quiet at my older Patriot Thunder. Plus, as someone suggested, the engine sound is greatly reduced with a pusher; then, it further fades as the length of the coach increases. In a 45' rig with the door(s) to the bedroom closed, the engine is nearly undetectable on some rigs.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #22

Diesel vs Gas - lets get some data

I look forward to the spreadsheet on the G v D study of all the models over the last 5 years or so.
I need to finally conclude that my gassers were louder my DPs, even though it didn't really matter. I loved them all!
This is a unique post, but what is the point when we know the conclusion?
Just my view from the saddle

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:32 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I knew diesel pushers were more quiet than my gasser before I bought the gasser. I got the gasser anyway, because it was affordable and I wasn't worried about sound levels when most of our use of the rv is within a half hour drive of our home. We only travel long distances when on vacation a couple times of the year. Noise really wasn't even a consideration when purchasing our rv. But for anyone who has a new sound meter or phone app, this may be a fun way to use it- once.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #24

It's a data gathering exercise. An opportunity to take some subjectivity out of the discussion. Of course people need to start posting data before I start making the spreadsheet. I'll post some numbers after I get back from my trip next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I look forward to the spreadsheet on the G v D study of all the models over the last 5 years or so.
I need to finally conclude that my gassers were louder my DPs, even though it didn't really matter. I loved them all!
This is a unique post, but what is the point when we know the conclusion?
Just my view from the saddle

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
Old 04-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Troublemaker

Really, this is a great idea.

But, to be fair, we have to all rally and drive the same stretch of highway in the exact same wind conditions. Then, we can compare readings at the after-party

I put one of those iPhone app decibel meters in our cockpit on a rough stretch of highway near the house. It rang in at 86dB at the driver's seat, 84dB at the passenger seat, and about 79 in the living room. Then, I got the wife's Honda Crosstour out, and drove the same stretch in the same wind, at the same speed. It showed about 79.

On the Interstate, I imagine that your late model Fleetwood will be nearly as quiet at my older Patriot Thunder. Plus, as someone suggested, the engine sound is greatly reduced with a pusher; then, it further fades as the length of the coach increases. In a 45' rig with the door(s) to the bedroom closed, the engine is nearly undetectable on some rigs.
I downloaded Noise Reader for Android yesterday. To have any accuracy at all it needs to be calibrated. I took readings in our 2011 CRV on smooth asphalt, 45 mph, 30 mph crosswind. My result was 55 dBA. Sitting in my study at home gives me 26 dBA.

I don't think that results will be comparable in that there are too many variables involved in taking sound readings in a moving vehicle. Type and condition of the pavement, velocity and direction of the wind, type of tires, background noise, calibration of the app, type of phone and the microphone sensitivity, vehicle speed and engine rpm, year of the engine and transmission, etc.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
What??????????????...I can't hear you I'm the owner of a Gas MH....Pun Intended. Really who cares, it's all a matter of choice. I didn't choose a gas over a diesel for the noise aspect, ours is actually pretty quiet unless climbing a grade, even then not bad. I chose a gas MH because I can do all my own maintenance. Do you really need to do studies, graphs, charts ect...I think everyone knows a diesel MH is going to be quieter in the drivers seat...the engine is in the rear, and my "smart" phone didn't tell me that.
What I don't understand is that for all the "noise / ride / power / towing" justifications for owning a DP, I would expect to see them all towing enclosed trailers with Mercedes S63s or BMW Alpina B7s at least, if not Bentleys. Certainly not succumbing to driving CRVs and Jeeps (which they proably spend more time actually driving as well).

If you want a 40'+ MH / DP that's fine, and good for you. The continual superioritity attitude / validation a for owning one gets old after a while though. It's no different in the sports car world either how people justify what they bought, so I'm used to it but there gets to be a point......... (and measuring noise levels pretty much takes the cake).

I'll leave it at that for now.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #27

A very interesting idea. In addition to sound measurement, and probably far more difficult, it would be neat to have data for:

RV classification (Class A, B, C)
Engine type & displacement
Transmission manufacturer and type
Drive details (Puller, pusher)
Single or tag axle
Suspension (Leaf / coil spring, Air bag, etc)
Vehicle length
Vehicle weight
Vehicle model, production year & current mileage
Cost of vehicle when new
Weight of Toad (if used)
Mileage (over long period, typical speed and terrain)
Maintenance cost per mile (over several years)

I guess I just wrote a specification for the ultimate buyers guide . But I wonder if the forum has the capacity to support a basic spreadsheet that could be edited by users to add their data? (Of course, no one would ever "Fudge" their information )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
It's a data gathering exercise. An opportunity to take some subjectivity out of the discussion. Of course people need to start posting data before I start making the spreadsheet. I'll post some numbers after I get back from my trip next week.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
I'll take a listen to ours when we get it out next - probably not until Memorial Day. I'll even turn down the radio for a moment or two.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, noise