Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #15

quote:
Plan $1000 a year for scheduled maintenance unless you can do it all yourself

this really depends on MILEAGE .If you go 15000 miles per year yes but if you go
4-5000 miles per year u need only worry about this every 3 years and $1000 is way way too high. Oil change and filters at speeco is only $300 or less etc etc
costs will vary and it will depend how many miles on the used unit and what was serviced as u bought it and what was required at the time you buy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7uxe View Post
well, it was 13.8mpg towing the samuri. I believe it would have been better but the tank sender on the side was leaking. seal was bad.
it was mostly flat. went from washington, to white earth reservation in minnesota,
then mt rushmore and home.. this was with some very hard tires,
minimal amount of water, and no hurry.
I have since put new tires, ride is much better, replaced the samurai with an 86 CJ7.

I suspect my milage of going from Roy to ocean shores ( about 125 miles, ) with the stop go and hills and the heaver toad, is less..
I can get there and back on 1/4 tank of fuel.
so I believe it's still at or just over 10 mpg..
but on the open hiway it's better.

diesel = long hiway trips or 2000+ miles or so..
gas= 100 mile or shorter trips.
100,000 miles for a diesel is like 20,000 for a gas..

cummins 5.9, P7100 pump, alison 6 sp.
so yes, 13.8 mpg.. it can be done.

Dan kb7uxe.
I have meet a lot of Rvers and read hundreds if not a thousand posts on MPG and have NEVER seen anyone claim 13.8 average MPG
I think you need to recalculate next time u go out. I have seen some old small ISB owners not towing or loaded down claim 11 average over time

Old 07-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
My understanding is that truckers are "unfriendly" to RVs in the truck lanes at filling stations.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
quote:
Plan $1000 a year for scheduled maintenance unless you can do it all yourself

this really depends on MILEAGE .If you go 15000 miles per year yes but if you go
4-5000 miles per year u need only worry about this every 3 years and $1000 is way way too high. Oil change and filters at speeco is only $300 or less etc etc
costs will vary and it will depend how many miles on the used unit and what was serviced as u bought it and what was required at the time you buy
This is a common mistake. I can't speak for other chassis types but my Freightliner maintenance requirements are both mileage and time driven. For example, the 15,000 mile / 1 Year items are required every 15000 miles OR every one year. You may choose to ignore the requirement but that doesn't change the fact that time driven maintenance is required if you want to be in compliance with the manufacturers schedule.

I just had mine done. It cost me $650 at Cummins Power South. I had the follow the Freightliner Checklist (like I always do) instead of just doing their less extensive "Coach Care" service which is little more than a filter change and chassis lube. Completing the full Freightliner checklist cost me an extra $200 bucks. My $1000 annual estimate includes all the other maintenance expenses you'll incur including generator service, sealant maintenance, appliance maintenance, tire budget set-aside, etc. I actually think my estimate is a little low.

Having said all that, I'll admit I'm the type that follows the maintenance requirements to the letter. The condition of my coach reflects that fact but I do pay a premium to keep it in great shape.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #19

weather you change your oil and filter every year even though you only go 3000 miles and the fact I change my oil every 3 years after I have gone 10000 miles does not make your coach any better than mine. that's the point you people make that over maintain a MH and waste Big$$. Cummins says I can go 20K on a oil change so I go 9-10 . this date deal is just so over used and over blown out of proportion its annoying to me and it cost unsuspecting beleivers hundreds of thousands of dollar needlessly spent every year on unwarranted repairs
Old 07-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
This is a common mistake. I can't speak for other chassis types but my Freightliner maintenance requirements are both mileage and time driven. For example, the 15,000 mile / 1 Year items are required every 15000 miles OR every one year. You may choose to ignore the requirement but that doesn't change the fact that time driven maintenance is required if you want to be in compliance with the manufacturers schedule.

I just had mine done. It cost me $650 at Cummins Power South. I had the follow the Freightliner Checklist (like I always do) instead of just doing their less extensive "Coach Care" service which is little more than a filter change and chassis lube. Completing the full Freightliner checklist cost me an extra $200 bucks. My $1000 annual estimate includes all the other maintenance expenses you'll incur including generator service, sealant maintenance, appliance maintenance, tire budget set-aside, etc. I actually think my estimate is a little low.

Having said all that, I'll admit I'm the type that follows the maintenance requirements to the letter. The condition of my coach reflects that fact but I do pay a premium to keep it in great shape.
your correct on the quote: "This is a common mistake "and its made by people like you whom waste $$$$ over doing all aspects of service and maintainence
Old 07-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
My understanding is that truckers are "unfriendly" to RVs in the truck lanes at filling stations.
If there is a dedicated RV lane and you pull into the truck lane they get real PO'd.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
your correct on the quote: "This is a common mistake "and its made by people like you whom waste $$$$ over doing all aspects of service and maintainence
Well, I hope we can just agree to disagree. You can create your own maintenance schedule - I could care less. Me, and my coach, we will go with Freightliner. I was just trying to give a potential new diesel coach owner an idea of what should be done according to the book.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
If there is a dedicated RV lane and you pull into the truck lane they get real PO'd.
I use Pilot/Flying J almost exclusively. I've never had anything but good experiences with the truckers using the truck lanes. There is an important element of etiquette though. You should pull to the pumps, fill your tank and then immediately pull forward to clear the pumps if there are other drivers waiting.

I've seen coach owners leave their coach at the pump while they walk the dogs, get food, wash and wax, air their tires - you get the idea. THAT sort of thing will definitely give a waiting trucker a bad impression and might end up in you getting a few choice words.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #24

Quote:
I use Pilot/Flying J almost exclusively.

I was brought up to believe that a penny saved is a penny earned, and price shop my fuel accordingly; whether boats, cars or MHs.

The price at truck stops seems to gone from being the lowest prices to being the highest. What do you guys and truckers know that I don't?

Are national trucking companies given large discounts, so the rest of us have to pay more to cover it?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I use Pilot/Flying J almost exclusively. I've never had anything but good experiences with the truckers using the truck lanes.
We pulled into one that had a big sign over one lane that said RVs only. That meant that the trucks could NOT use that RV Lane.
As I was using the RV Lane, another motor home pulled into one of the truck lanes. The truckers were pretty pissed at that other motor home I assure you.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
I have fueled up at dozens of different truck stops, pulling both FW's and the MH, and have never received a second look or comment from truckers. Just be efficient, pull up, get your fuel, pull up to pay and if you need to do anything more pull out and park.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #27

We recently upgraded to a DP from a gasser and the sales guy said that the best method to get going from a stop or when getting onto the highway was to put the pedal to the metal. This is not something we use to do with our gas coach and I was just wanting to hear others opinions on this method. It seems like that would not be the best option for fuel economy.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitz372 View Post
We recently upgraded to a DP from a gasser and the sales guy said that the best method to get going from a stop or when getting onto the highway was to put the pedal to the metal. This is not something we use to do with our gas coach and I was just wanting to hear others opinions on this method. It seems like that would not be the best option for fuel economy.
From a forum catering to older Mercedes cars, that's called an Italian tune-up. Keeps the carbon from accumulating when people feather-foot their diesels and never hit red-line, or close.

Tags
diesel, cummins, gas