Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Difficult Fuel Filter Removal

I’m attempting to change the secondary fuel filter on my Cat C7 myself, for the first time. It is easiest to get to via the bedroom engine cover. Because of the components around it, I can not get to it with a standard metal band type filter wrench and my rubber strap wrench won’t budge it. I bought the below vise-grip type of filter wrench, but it won’t budge it either. Any suggestions? Any other type of filter wrench that might work?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

Yea, they don't make it easy. A heavy fabric type strap wrench along with an extension and ratchet or breaker bar will get the job done.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #3

They make a style that is a cloth strap attached to a steel fitting that your extension fits into It will just continue to tighten around the filter no matter how tight. Here is what it looks like Strap-Style Oil Filter Wrench | OTC Tool Manufacturer for Cars and Trucks It will remove the most stubborn filter
grizzlyalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #4

Craftsman Universal Wrench, Auto-Adjustable: Save Time With Sears

This the type to use if you can get to it from the bottom. Not sure about this one for size, but this type with 3 fingers.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

I have yet to see a filter that I can't remove with a large pair of water pump (Channel Lock) pliers. Mine are 4 1/2 inches when closed in the max slot. I have used them to remove the filter from a 3126 Cat which is almost a clone of the C7.

I hate to mention this, but you are looking from the top (lefty loosey). Also, you might try to tighten it first.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
filter removal

If you need to use a plier type filter wrench. Grab the filter as close to the top as possible. The can will collapse but the aluminum filter base is what is stuck so grab the filter where it mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0804_zps74215471.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	30513  

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #7

Just noticed......the other problem with those pliers is the word....CHINA.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to ask a dumb question.....

But are you sure you're turning it in the right direction? It's an easy mistake to make if you're used to working on a filter from the underside. Looking at it from the top you will be turning it in a clockwise direction.

I did mine a couple of months ago and in my opinion a strap wrench is your best bet. There's no room to get a big pair of channel locks on it.

Get a big freezer bag to put the filter in once you get it off. Unless you like the smell of diesel in your bedroom. Rubber gloves come in handy (pun intended) too.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #9

you can make tool with some rope or seat belt strap and a chunk of water pipe

Drill hole across end of pipe, put rope through hole and make loop long enough to wrap filter 3 times

Wrap the filter and twist pipe and it will chinch the filter and spin it off

TRICK FROM MY GASS STATION DAYS IN THE 70'S...

Slow and constant pressure, suddenly forcing only crushes the can, constant force will.cause the surface grip to fail and spin right off.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
It will help if you place a screwdriver between the top of the filter and the filter housing and push DOWN firmly with the screwdriver. Do this in as many places around the filter as possible. This will help break the seal between the filter gasket and the housing. Notice I said firmly, don't try too hard. I have cahnges 1000s of filters and this is the easiest way without breaking your knuckles or the filter. When you re-install the filter don't over tighten it, contact + 1/3-1/2 turn. That way next time it will come off easier.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
YC1

Tapping downward along the top sounds like a great idea. My first fuel filter was glued in place from overshoot of undercoating.

From the great pictures it looks like the mount is held in place by two bolts. Remove the hoses, cover them well, take the bolts out and remove the whole thing to someplace you can get some working space. I put my bracket in a bench vice and use a big pipe wrench. Haven't had to do this again of course. Others have had to remove the whole thing. Many previous threads on it.

I am not able to get large Vice Grips in the area of my filter. I bought several tools and they failed. I like the one from Sears and will probably buy that because I can get to the bottom. That would not fit my oil filter though. That thing is almost as big around as a paint can.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It won't help you now, but here's an older posting of my describing how I had my filter relocated for easier access, along with adding a priming pump: Relocated Fuel Filter & Added Priming Pump.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Yea, they don't make it easy. A heavy fabric type strap wrench along with an extension and ratchet or breaker bar will get the job done.
Yep, I used a strap wrench and a cheater bar.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
But are you sure you're turning it in the right direction? It's an easy mistake to make if you're used to working on a filter from the underside. Looking at it from the top you will be turning it in a clockwise direction.
Not a dumb question at all. I paused for a moment when I was trying to free up the filter to make sure I was turning it in the right direction...

Thanks everyone for the help. Based on your tips, I’m going to try a heavy duty strap filter wrench. I hate fighting the Christmas crowds, so I ordered this one on Amazon with free shipping (prime member). Should be here on Monday. As far as my Chinese-made filter wrench is concerned, I picked that up at Harbor Freight. I drove to two other stores and found nothing that would work, so that was the best I could come up with at the time. Did I mention that I hate shopping at Christmas time?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, removal