Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #1

Digital Thermostat

I have a Duo-Therm Thermostat and need help wiring a Honeywell Digital Thermostat .
Johntraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I do not believe you can do that because of the control board in the thermostat and a/c units
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #3

It depends on which Duo-Therm you have, can you post a photo of your current thermostat, I swapped my Duo-Therm Analog thermostat out for a Honeywell digital thermostat a couple of months ago.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #4

digital thermostat

Click image for larger version

Name:	living room thermostat.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	152450 I hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #5

Yes it does, you have what is known as the Duo Therm analog thermostat, yours appears to be the cool only version, mine was the same unit, except I had the heatpump option which complicated things. Here is a link to a good write up of what you need to do Mod #100: Honeywell, Dometic and Suburban Digitial Thermostat Install | ModMyRV. Due to the heatpump control issue I ended up using a different honeywell brand thermostat with different wiring terminal labels. It appears that Honeywell may have bought out or relabels more than one style of thermostat so they use multiple terminal nomenclatures, something you should be aware of if you buy a different model than listed in the instructions.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #6

I follow the above directions and simplified it to thisClick image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1487562646587.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	152495Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1487562643265.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	152496
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:34 AM   #7

The above shortcut sheet is bad advice, different brands of RV's use different wire colors, in your photo you show red being used for the 7.5V input on the original duo-therm thermostat, this wire should not be connected to anything on a Hunter or Honeywell thermostat.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #8

I don't understand cool only . I run the furnace and air from this thermostat Thank you , John
Old 02-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntraveler View Post
I don't understand cool only . I run the furnace and air from this thermostat Thank you , John
If youre refering it my wiring diagram it does include heat. Rh is power to heater. Rc is power to a/c

Dont know if it will work with the duo therm but it worked for several thermostats in my part trailers-motorhomes. And it worked with honeywells also
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #10

Johntraveler: Dometic / Duo-Therm made 3 very similar version of the analog thermostat,

Type A, (the most common type and the version I think you have) controls a roof top air conditioner that only cools as well as a propane powered furnace typically in the floor for heat.

Type B, controls a roof top air conditioner that cools, BUT ALSO has electric heat strips for heating in the roof top unit as well as a propane powered furnace typically in the floor for heat.

Type C, controls a roof top air conditioner that cools, BUT ALSO has a heat pump function for heating from the ceiling as well as a propane powered furnace typically in the floor for heat.

Type B and C have a wire that goes to the HS / HP terminal that yours seems to be missing and while type B and C look alike they have different switching behavior.

If your setup only blows cold air from the ceiling, and blows hot air from the floor propane furnace then the link I provided above will give you instructions on what you need to do.

halfprice: The wiring setup on the Duo-Therm / Dometic analog thermostats DOES NOT connect the furnace to the RH connector on the thermostat, instead the furnace connector on the factory thermostat goes to a relay board in the roof top air conditioner which then controls the furnace. In the photo above the furnace control wire is white
Old 02-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #11

Got it thanks. Sorry for posting the above pic
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #12

honeywell focus pro 5000

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2269.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	152769 Still swimming . This is the back plate for the Honeywell 5000 .
Old 02-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #13

It looks close, but you need the brown and blue wire to both go to the G terminal to get high fan speed. Or brown alone to go to the G terminal for low fan speed, I am not sure what would happen if you have it the way you have it wired now with brown not connected and blue only to G.

You can accomplish switching between high and low fan speed by adding a simple SPST switch inline with the blue wire before it connects to G.

p.s. when you get done wiring you will need to set the programming for the thermostat for equipment to control fan for heating otherwise your air conditioner fan will also run when the propane furnace gets turned on.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:36 AM   #14

Its up and running . Thanks so much . John

Tags
thermostat