Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #43

It appears Congress is going to delay the DTV conversion date until June 2009.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by The Beaver:
Link? I can find some news stories that are about 10 days old saying they might, but nothing newer that predicts it with any confidence?

joe

Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #45

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I will be surprised if such an idea becomes law. Too much money has been spent by the TV stations to meet the original plan. To be forced into a delay does not make any sense.

The smart thing to do would be to extend the time the rebate coupons can be used and have some extra money allocated to cover them. This would give the 11th hour folks a break
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #46

I saw a brief article on CNN Headline News. According to the commentator it appeared to be a sure thing.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I saw a brief article on CNN Headline News. According to the commentator it appeared to be a sure thing.
It doesn't appear CNN believes that. Not a single article about it on their website, that I could find.

joe
Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #48
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A search on the words:

digital tv delay

will provide lots of results.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #49

Apparently BO and Congress are concerned that 6.5 million households are "unprepared" for the transition, and so want to delay it. (Article) How many of these households are just clueless, and how many are typical procrastinators who won't make a move until their TVs are dark? And we have to feel sorry for the "unfortunates" who didn't get their subsidy coupon and can't afford a converter box.
Never mind the great amount of money that will be wasted by a delay. If there are really 6.5 million affected, I'll wager that 5.5 million will find a way to get TV within one week of no reception if there are really that many. I am aware of many "unfortunate" folks who already have big-screen sets and/or cable with all the channels, so they are not affected. My wife worked with some. I also bet that without the carrot of $40 rebates, the price of converter boxes will tumble. The market for them is about saturated, they are cheap to make, and the development costs are covered.
And why is TV considered an entitlement? The bleeding hearts are so concerned for the "unfortunate" and want to help them with converter boxes and new antennas. When I wanted to get TV in any house I lived in, I had to pay for my own equipment and installation.
Another political mess in the works, American style.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne M:
A search on the words:

digital tv delay

will provide lots of results.
Sure does, but even the most recent articles say it's maybe 50/50 for the delay. Definitely not a sure thing.

Personally, I say pull the plug and do it as scheduled.

joe
Old 01-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I agree fully with two2go. We can wait six months and there will still be 6.49 million "unprepared" households. Further dithering by the gov't will just make the transition more costly and more painful for all concerned. Let's GIT 'R DONE!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally posted by RV Roamer:
I agree fully with two2go. We can wait six months and there will still be 6.49 million "unprepared" households. Further dithering by the gov't will just make the transition more costly and more painful for all concerned. Let's GIT 'R DONE!
I am tired of waiting also and would prefer the final tower setups to be put into play so I can get my antenna setup finalised on the house. I broke my large multi-element boom antenna when I folded it up for the last hurricane warning and really would like to replace it with something more manageable. Even the Popular Mechanix do it yourself model with eight 14 inch wire elements bent into V's and attached to a 2 foot long 1X4 seems to work surprisingly well.

Somthing similar to this:

http://www.goobertech.net/gallery2/44990/IMG_4653.JPG

BTW: Last I heard congress seemed to be leaning 60% towards a 90 day delay.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everyone that watches the news or reads a newspaper has had more than ample time to prepare for the conversion to DTV. Waiting for 6 more months, or 6 more years will not make any real difference to those that choose to bury their heads in the sand.

As for an antenna, any old VHF/UHF antenna will work. If you live in the fringe areas, you may need a larger antenna to get a good signal. The problem with DTV is you either have a signal or you do not have a signal. There is no such thing as a weak signal and a snowy picture.

The do it your self antenna mentioned above will work great.

SO let's get the job done and move on.

Ken
Old 01-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #54

Didn't intend to raise such a row with my first post. However, in today's local paper there is an article from Joelle Tessler of the Associated Press which states in part "Senate Democrats late Thrusday reached a deal with Republicans on a bill to push the digital transition to June 12, setting the stage for a vote early next week. The House is likely to move quickly after the Senate acts."

This is what the quick blurb I saw on HLN was referring to.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally posted by TXiceman:
Everyone that watches the news or reads a newspaper has had more than ample time to prepare for the conversion to DTV. Waiting for 6 more months, or 6 more years will not make any real difference to those that choose to bury their heads in the sand.

As for an antenna, any old VHF/UHF antenna will work. If you live in the fringe areas, you may need a larger antenna to get a good signal. The problem with DTV is you either have a signal or you do not have a signal. There is no such thing as a weak signal and a snowy picture.

The do it your self antenna mentioned above will work great.

SO let's get the job done and move on.

Ken
I have been considering the motorised Wienguard RV model for the house instead of staying with the big Channel Master. Getting tired of taking down antenna masts along with putting up storm shutters.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #56

Well folks, those of us who are ready and waiting for the transition are going to wait some more. Yesterday congress voted to delay the transition until June.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote