Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Is there some advice on Digital conversion. I have a 2006 34 foot Sea Breeze without digital TVs. The front one is on Satilite (Dish) so am not concerned at present but the bedroom needs to be attended to. If the government ever sees fit to send me a coupon I might just use the box but will have to have the cupboard under the tv open to use the remote. If I choose to install a new TV I beleive I will have to remove the upper panel in the cupboard to get at the bolts. Does anyone have a good solution to how to remove that panel?

SeaBreeze06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
SEABREEZE,On my unit I have the cable to the back TV in the box at the front.I got a larger sw. box at camping world and tyed the Ant to feed front and back through the dig. box.that way I can switch and watch deffert things in front back or outside. Good Luck

HR--Neptune---Chev Tracker--Toad
Freebird23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi SeaBreeze06,
I looked for the cheapest solution. Right now that is two converter boxes. One for the front and one for the back TV. Yep, one does need to leave the storage compartment door open to use the remote. For me, it is a small price to pay for getting out of this conversion to DTV thing for about $30.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
I see 19-20" LCD digital HD TV's coming in at under $200 if you look for deals. Might want to consider replacing the 2nd tube set at that price. Just a thought.
Our bedroom TV was mounted to a steel plate which was screwed to the top of a low cupboard. The wiring went to the adjacent cupboard. I can access there by removing the bottom panel of that cupboard. As I remember, it was fastened with staples.
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
I heard yesterday the government is out of money for sending converter coupons. Unless our "fine congressmen" see fit to put more of our tax dollars into the program you may not get your coupons and will need to purchase converters at market price. I also expect many converters to come available (yard sales?) in the coming months as people change out older sets.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 AM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 05 Dolphin and if it is the same as your seabreeze there are 4 screws in front of the tv. remove these screws and pull the tv toward you. The back of the steel plate slips under another and there is no need to remove it. After sliding it forward the tv and bracket just lift out. Mine burned up last month and I bought a 22" insignia lcd from bestbuy for $249 and it fits just fine. I plan on just laying it on the bed while traveling.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did the front 10 days ago, and it was traumatic, since there is bad information posted in this forum. There was a lot of trial and error to it. (Not this posting, but others.) The converter must go between the Wingard switch box and the TV, NOT between the antenna and the Wingard switch box. You need the amplifier that is inside the switch box!!

The trauma was that the cables were bundled tightly, and I could not get my hand in behind the box to cut the bundling. The instructions that came with the switch box have the back connectors wrongly identified. After a total failure on Saturday, a re-try on Sunday with a mechanics mirror, found the correct cable to insert the converter box, and still a hassle putting the cables off and on, it works great, except the pixilation, mentioned below.

Anyway, on the back TV, there is enough room beside the TV to mount the box on it's side vertical. That is on this week's agenda.

What I'm told, is that there is a signal strength selection in one of the menus and you need to access this to get the best picture. If you are 60 or 70 miles from the transmitting tower, you get pixilation every 4 or 5 seconds. It is annoying. I'm told that getting the maximum signal strength should help this.
Bill N8HDW & Nancy N8HDV
2005 Sea Breeze 8341 on W-22 Chassis
2008 Saturn Vue I-4
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To see the mental state of the press, there was an article in the Phoenix Paper today blaming President Bush for not informing the population of the pending conversion to digital TV.

Good lord folks, I have seen advert after advert, article after article, comment after comment, test after test, warning after warning, etc about this event. Mostly paid for with taxpayer money. Are we really this stupid?

I can't believe anyone on earth is not aware of it. And it couldn't be more simple. For 90% of the people it is only connecting a converter between the box and the TV. This is explained in the instructions for the converter.

If a person is blessed with a more complex home entertainment system... well if he/they could afford such a power house sound/video system, they either have the technical capacity to do it or can afford professional assistance.

People who still can't figure out what to do are too stupid to watch TV.

Wretched excess is just barely enough.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
When the photo gets approved I will post a picture and instructions to hookup the DTV converter between the switchbox and the TV antenna. It works well as long as you don't need two converters. Both TV's on the same channel. This hookup requires a "diplexer", purchased cheap ($2.99 and shipping)on the internet. You will still need access to the back of the switch box Please stand by for the picture.
Bob & Loy 04 Itasca Meridian 34H
WIT #W87011
Proud members of the Chardonnay Travelers
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
If the government ever sees fit to send me a coupon I might just use the box
If you have been waiting for the government to just "send a coupon", you are going to be waiting way beyond February.
It was your responsibility to request that they send you a coupon, they don't just send them out to everybody as a lot of people don't want, need, or even know they may have a need for the converter box.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Well, well,well. Seems us who have prepared for the DTV transition, and the TV stations have wasted our money. The prez-to-be wants to put it off. He says the country hasn't had enough time to prepare for the transition. Oh yeah, change is coming.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I say, go ahead and do it at this point. Another thing this country needs to do is ditch the Inch-Pound system and go metric like the rest of the world.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
I want to thank everyone who has responded to my question. First though I need to explaine about why I am so late taking care of this. I requested a coupon many months ago but the wise people in control have decided that anyone who lives full time in a motorhome is not really a citizen and refuse to give us the coupons. In December we landed here in Arizona and will be at this location for several months so I used this address and was assured that I would have a coupon by the first week of January. Now the media says that it will be February. A typical government program. Most of you seem to have a little different bedroom setup but I believe I will have to tear out the panel in the top of the bottom cupboard to get at the bolts except for one which is visible. That means the converter box is the easiest. I like the idea of putting in a switch box between the Dish receiver and the front TV and running both TVs off the front. I agree that gettting at the wires is not easy but I might try. I believe the remote will work down the hall from back to front.
SeaBreeze06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #14
Originally posted by TXiceman:
I say, go ahead and do it at this point. Another thing this country needs to do is ditch the Inch-Pound system and go metric like the rest of the world.

Many stations have already converted and let go the lease on their analog towers. Some(many?) Mom and Pop stations have already started the dismantling process and have started going off air. To do a turnaround 30 some odd days from implementation could be financially devistating to many and could topple even more stations into going off air - IMHO.

With all the time and money that has been spent gearing up for this over these past years, not doing it now that we are in the final stage of implementation and getting ready to flip the switch could be far worse.

It would make my part of the business easier as I would be working at a more lesurely pace to finish up, with six more months developement time, but they are not considering the potentially negative impact on the industry as a whole.

How about another bailout, this time for companies that can't afford to keep the old analog and the new digital equipment running simultaniously for another six months to a year?

BTW: The converter boxes are already hitting Craigs List in my area for less than $20.

Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote