Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dinette Remodel

I searched thru sites but am not finding what I want...hoping someone out there has information. Has anyone out there taken out their traditional booth dinette and table and replaced it with a credenza and free standing table/chairs? If so, any issues? (This is a MH, not sure if that makes any difference). Can you share where you got your credenza/table/chairs? Did you DIY it or have it done by professional? I saw one thread where a person just used a 2 pedestal desk and added "The Magic Table"...looks nice but would like to explore other options. Love the storage under the bench seats, but can work around that with the credenza....just tired of the "booth".

Thanks and happy travels!!

fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

We have a Discovery by Fleetwood,the dinette was changed when we purchased it last Nov. It is a round table with 2 nice swivel chairs that also roll. I really enjoy that setup, compared to the usual booth. Was a real big selling point for my husband. Try calling Fleetwood or shop a store for a 36 inch round table, then shop fro chairs. I would like parson chairs . We have a lot of extra space with this setup, very comfortable.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
we have a 2007 fleetwood teera lx .had a booth ,kept the table got four really nice chairs that matched our wood ,from overstock .com very happy with the change.

dan &cathy sitting pretty
Old 09-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made this unit myself; a credenza and desk combo. We had a free standing table in the space when we bought our MH but found out we just used it as a desk and it was a lousy desk. My wife does consulting so needs desk space when we travel.

There are hinges for a folding desk set up and I patterned this after a unit I saw in a Dutch Star. But I wanted the big drawers for extra kitchen storage under the sliding table.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV desk 1.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	838.0 KB
ID:	26396

Name:	RV Desk 2.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	868.9 KB
ID:	26397

Name:	RV desk 3.jpg
Views:	1582
Size:	846.9 KB
ID:	26398

Name:	RV desk 4.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	807.4 KB
ID:	26399

Name:	RV desk 5.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	781.0 KB
ID:	26400

Name:	RV desk 6.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	879.9 KB
ID:	26401

Name:	RV Desk.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	838.5 KB
ID:	26402
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll add to my post. The chairs in the picture were folding chairs we purchased at Target. We did not like those so got some more comfortable non folding ones at an Office Depot.

I do not know what you find under the booth when you remove it as I said ours was a table, free standing.

Also I meant that on the model I patterned after it had a folding table ( not desk)which collapsed into the center. I did not like that because I wanted the roomf for big drawers. So I built in the sliding table. It juts out when we travel as you can see but it does not stick out any farther than the original table.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great stuff! Thanks for the great ideas. I'll check Overstock.com; I tend to forget about them. I like the idea of using the pedestal desk and adding a table and chairs. I need some storage, but have to keep it slim also because of the slide configuration in our coach. I like the idea of doing it ourselves too. We talked to a man who called Fleetwood to order the credenza/table/chairs and it was $4600.

I think we can make this happen!!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #7

Norm, aka njs42, that's a great design and beautiful work. Is picture 4 of 7 "travel mode"?

I'm going to measure, sketch, and start planning to build my own today as your design solves at least three of our storage hassles! Thanks for posting the pictures. Safe travels!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawja Sailor View Post
Norm, aka njs42, that's a great design and beautiful work. Is picture 4 of 7 "travel mode"?

I'm going to measure, sketch, and start planning to build my own today as your design solves at least three of our storage hassles! Thanks for posting the pictures. Safe travels!

Yes that is travel mode. The table slides back into the desk, the legs pivot on a hinge and tuck up under the desk before I push it in. I put a limiting stop on the table top so when I pull it out it extends to the stop then a notched board also on a hinge drops preventing it from retracting (like during dinner and yes I speak from experience).

Lifting the legs and lifting the notched boards requires a little coordination but if I can you can. Or you can think of a better method which is half the fun.

The back of the credenza I did with half lap joints, basically about three rectangles (cope and stick) framed to length and width, to keep it light and very sturdy. I also left the back open, no ply in the rectangles allowing complete access (I can see the wall) for light cords and computer cables etc; Been very handy when I needed to pull a wire.

If I were to do it again I would plan better for access to electrical boxes, computer cables etc; and install a few of each in the credenza itself up front or on the top. I simply plug a multi-recepticle surge box which comes from the regular outlet to sit in the bottom of the credenza. Every time I get on my knees to remove or add something electrical I am reminded of my omission.

Not too late to change but I did not allow room in the facia to accomodate a plug.

I'll gladly answer any other questions you have but you sound like you know exactly what you want. I'm pleased to share this with you and tickled that you would find it worthy.

Have fun with your project.

See you down the road.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Norm....can you share the dimensions of your entire unit? The width, length, depth with the table in and out? I don't think I have the talent to build it from scratch, but might be able to match it with ready built....and hinges could be arranged for the table legs....I wondered how you did that...thanks for clarifying that...didn't know if they came off and were stashed during travel.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One other thing the big drawers under the desk have very low sides allowing access while the table is extended. We keep larger kitchen pans etc; in there so nothing slides around enough to fall out of the low sides.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2gocamp View Post
Norm....can you share the dimensions of your entire unit? The width, length, depth with the table in and out? I don't think I have the talent to build it from scratch, but might be able to match it with ready built....and hinges could be arranged for the table legs....I wondered how you did that...thanks for clarifying that...didn't know if they came off and were stashed during travel.

Sure, however my MH is in storage so I cannot do it right now. Busy building a china cabinet for my daughter.

However, your dimensions will conform to your space. I used all the space I could but left some room between the sofa and the credenza which proved very handy to slide things in for travel. But from memory (a weak one) I am about 72 inches long along the wall, a regular desk top height of course (measure your kitchen table or a desk at home), and as I remember about 22 inces width.

When you remove the dinette you will picture your credenza in there and do conforming measurements.

If you need more specifics let me know and I will go the the MH and measure for you.

Just a thought. Lowes makes kitchen cabinets on special order to custom design. They have an outside source. Years ago I had them do a series of cabinets for a bar I made by converting our laundry room (I'd rather have a drink than do laundry any day). It was very easy and I'll bet they could design you one from generic cabinets (kitchens have desk) and you could just drop it in. Not sure they could accomodate the table but you may be able to do an easy adaptation if you want. They were not terribly expensive as I recall certainly far, far below below the $4,800 you were quoted.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the table is about 44 inches long so when extended we are say 66inces into the kitchen area. With the slide out it works just fine and is also a handy working area. As I said folded in it is the same width into the MH as the standing table was so our travel room is the same. I keep thinking of this stuff after I hit the post button. Here I go again.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had the table but wife needed the cabinets for kitchen stuff that she was having problems with, due to arthritis, reaching under our main kitchen cabinets.

You can fine out how in the Newmar Quick Tips link 1 & 2. Item #3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=njs42;1316896]Sure, however my MH is in storage so I cannot do it right now. Busy building a china cabinet for my daughter.

No worries....it's enough to go on. Your daughter is a lucky lady to be getting such a great designer work for her. Don't make a trip to the MH. I agree, that once I see the space I have to work with, it will go from there.

007: great idea!! I never thought of that either. This is why I asked....I knew someone would have great ideas I could use. Don't always feel really "skilled" for these kinds of projects..but these seem doable. And I can put the money I save into the gas tank. HA!!

Tags
remodel