Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DirecTV for RV

Have direct tv in SB house ,just switched over from crappy cable, what is the most cost effective way to get direct tv in rv, dont need a dvr, was wonering ifvi could get awsy with 2 genies, direct said 7 bucks a month in addition to SB house. We have unlimited cell phones, and the d irect tv a pp works well, as we dongle the phones to the hdmi cable to the rv tv's. Some places eill have no cell signal, th as ts whyvi amasking the group.
Go with we boost or get a dish??

Your thoughts please
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You've got streaming, despite the claim it is unlimited, will be throttled back at 25 gig/month or so. Read the fine print in your contract. And, as you have found out, cell signals and ones that can carry high volumes of data, may be more limited than you thought. Then you have OTA or good old broadcast TV which isn't available everywhere either.

You can easily get a dome or portable dome and tote one your existing receivers with you. Your broadcast will be in SD and with all the rumors about DirecTV dropping SD broadcasts next year, you might want to think about this option.

And finally, you can have a Winegard Trav'ler installed (probably about $1800) and you can get HD and all the channels you have at home.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take the one from the house and put in in the RV when on the trip then back to the house when you get home.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
Take the one from the house and put in in the RV when on the trip then back to the house when you get home.
What he said.

This is assuming you have a dish installed on your RV.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:35 AM   #5

avfordguy,

If you want HD television in your coach with your Directv subscription, you'll have to install the Winegard Trav'ler satellite dish and get the HD receivers for coach.

In my case, I bought my two HD receivers from an authorized Directv retailer and I pay $7.00 dollars per month for both additional receivers after negotiating with Directv a bit.

In my particular set up, one HD receiver feeds the front and mid-coach television and the other receiver feeds the bedroom and outdoor TV. I use RF remotes to change channels.

My Directv for the coach is inclusive in my subscription for the house, so I receive one only monthly statement. My monthly bill runs about $94.00 per month with tax, title, dealer prep out the door.

For my cellular service, I use Verizon as my phone and internet service provider and both of our cell phones have unlimited 4G text, talk and messaging. That runs me $169.00 per month for both phones.

I also have the Family Motorcoaching membership plan for unlimited internet service via a portable, secure, MIFI Jetpack. After 25GB, they can throttle you down, but I've yet to see evidence of that yet, though I have rarely exceeded that amount of data for my use.

The plan is $49.95 per month and includes the jetpack with your subscription.

Anyhow, hope this helps in your decision making.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 AM   #6

....oh, I forgot to remark on your cell service availability comment.

As you probably know, cell service around major metropolitan areas around the U.S. is fairly decent on major travel routes. However, we you get in some areas out in the West, and Mid-West regions of the Country, cell service can become sporadic at best. I can say that despite whatever cell signal booster you might have (over) paid for.

If you are safety conscious and what to be certain you have a lifeline for a medical emergency or for roadside assistance, rent (or purchase) a satellite phone and activate it prior to your departure.

Both the sat phones and the usage fees are more affordable than in years past.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #7

Just came back from a weekend in the Cascades, no cell phone service but had satellite up and running in minutes. Forget the dome and get an open face dish, either the Winegard Trav'ler or RF Mogul. Much better satellite acquisition, HD programming and faster lockup. If Directv does in fact phase out SD programming and you have a dome you'll be out of luck.

The Winegard has more dealer support and installation facilities but the RF Mogul has it's benefits too, including that cool looking blue led glow on the dish. We junked the dome years ago and have been very happy with the Trav'ler. It's been deployed and lowered at least a hundred times without one hiccup. Heck, I even like to go out and watch it do it's thing. Couldn't imagine RV'ing without satellite TV.

One last thing you'll see stated on this forum over and over...either get an additional receiver from Directv for $7.00/mo or just take one from the house. Don't muddy the waters telling Directv about an RV. They don't care whether the receiver is in an RV or in a spare bedroom at the S&B. We have one dedicated in the RV as well as take an additional one from the house on extended trips in case we ever have a problem with one of the receivers. Keep it simple.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post

This worked for me for many years. I used a manual dish on the rv roof, which also worked well. When I got tired of paying for what was free over the air I bought my own DVR and record when I get stations and save what I don't watch for when I don't have a signal. I also use Netflix w/ a smart phone.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Have direct tv in SB house ,just switched over from crappy cable, what is the most cost effective way to get direct tv in rv, dont need a dvr, was wonering ifvi could get awsy with 2 genies, direct said 7 bucks a month in addition to SB house. We have unlimited cell phones, and the d irect tv a pp works well, as we dongle the phones to the hdmi cable to the rv tv's. Some places eill have no cell signal, th as ts whyvi amasking the group.
Go with we boost or get a dish??

Your thoughts please
Your genie will not work as a stand alone unit. I put a SD box I had and added as another receiver to plan. Costs $7.00 per month on my dtv bill. I use a portable dish and am more than happy with the results. I even tell people my idea of roughing it is not having hd.😂
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv