Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am new to sat tv.
A couple of questions
I prefer to buy my receiver. Any recommendations? STD def only. Will use it with an in motion winegard minimax.
If I'm trying to save money with the monthly bill I'd just like to not advise them it's in an rv. I don't watch network tv so not concerned about losing these channels when outside the spot beam.
But I do watch yes network and it is in my STD plan. Anyone know if I go outside the spot will yes still work?
I ask because yes can be purchased by anyone throughout the us separately.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I am new to sat tv.
A couple of questions
I prefer to buy my receiver. Any recommendations? STD def only. Will use it with an in motion winegard minimax.
If I'm trying to save money with the monthly bill I'd just like to not advise them it's in an rv. I don't watch network tv so not concerned about losing these channels when outside the spot beam.
But I do watch yes network and it is in my STD plan. Anyone know if I go outside the spot will yes still work?
I can't answer all of your questions but I bought the receiver for the MH and I pay DISH $5 per month for activation. The receiver is a 311 model and as far as they are concerned it is in my stick house.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I am new to sat tv.
A couple of questions
I don't believe that YES is spot beamed. When we had the East mobile service we got it in Florida but now that we changed our address to Fl and have Miami for locals it no longer comes in. The northeast sports channels like NESN don't either. Was kind of bummed to miss Syracuse vs DePaul Sat. but that's the breaks. The antenna would normally get us by for locals but here in the Fl Keys you can't get any.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After a conversation with directv yes can be purchased as an add-on for 12.99 per month. It adds not only yes but a ton of regional sports. And when you add it it upgrades the whole channel selection to their premier package. So it is actually a good deal IMO.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #33

Hello all....just what is the average cost of either Direct or Dish TV monthly for a standard package. Thanks in advance
Old 03-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #34

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I was under the impression that it was only illegal to get the distant service at a home base due to syndex (syndication exclusivity) regulations. This was to prevent you from viewing another local channel while businesses paid for advertising in your area that you could not see. While when out of your spot beam area you would receive no locals so you saw no local advertising.
Fixed that for you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
With DirecTV you can get local channels, if you have a mobile account, no matter where you are at no extra charge. For example, if you are parked around Seattle WA, you can receive Seattle TV channels. If you are in Phoenix AZ, you can receive Phoenix channels. This is in addition to DNS.

Jim E
This must be new because when I had DirecTV it was indeed an RV account and I could only get "Local" Detroit (When I was close to Detroit) I could not get Local for, say, Las Vegas

However now with some improvements in my OTA and the new tier 2 nd 3... I just may never use my sat receivers again... Our twin DVR's did something today for the first time in many many months.. They hit empty.

Basketball season on the tire 2's
Old 03-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
Fixed that for you.
Thanks. Syntax would be a computer error. I was close though
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #37

Dish network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwcox View Post
We just bought our first class A and want to know which is the prefered..... Directtv or Dish Net? Does anyone have any input?
I don't full time so I just unplug my dish 211 k from my TV & home dish & plug into my motor home hdtv via HDMI then connect my MH batwing over the air antenna & my Winegard Carryout dome auto seeking antenna all at the rear of my dish sat box.Plus 12V from the cig. lighter.
Five min. later the Winegard dome finds all three 110 119 129 dish sat.--then do a switch check on the dish box--then do a dish box over the air station search (the dish box has a great-better than my SHARP tv--- more stations ---digital over the air tuner)I now have all my home SD & HD sat and local over the air channels - at my camping location -channels that are fully combined into the program guide that only require one dish remote to change channels from sat to locals.
No problems even on the east coast of florida.In Chattahochee FL I was able to get the over the air locoals from Panama City FL. Dothan AL. & Talahassee FL.HD & SD + all HD & SD Sat. prog.
I don't think Direct Tv boxes have built in digital over the air tuners.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
This must be new because when I had DirecTV it was indeed an RV account and I could only get "Local" Detroit (When I was close to Detroit) I could not get Local for, say, Las Vegas

However now with some improvements in my OTA and the new tier 2 nd 3... I just may never use my sat receivers again... Our twin DVR's did something today for the first time in many many months.. They hit empty.

Basketball season on the tire 2's
You don't get it automatically, you have to call DirecTV and tell them where you are. If I remember correctly, you provide an address.

Jim E
Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried directv. And I have to tell you it is convoluted the way they work. The setup was horrible. Every time I changed campsites I had to go through the setup process again. So much for buying the high end automatic dish.
I returned it and they tried to charge me the cancelations fee.
I took them to court and they settled the case.
I'll never use them again.

That said I switched to Dish Network. The setup was easier and everything worked seamlessly. I have the rv package with them and very happy with Dish. No more setup every time I change sites.

Happy camping!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My recommendation is look at the programming packages and pick the one you like the best.. however here are some facts.

DirecTV (NOTE not DirecHDTV) for MOST accounts epically RV accounts uses one and only one sattelite, located at 101degrees W longitude, it can be seen from anywhere in the 48 states, and I think Hawaii, not sure about Alaska. if you plan on using a roof mounted IN MOTION Dome this is your best choice period.

DISHnetwork (non-hd) uses two birds 110 and 119 w, over the pacific, this can be a problem if you are on the east coast,, they also have alternate birds over the atlantic however,

Dish HDTV adds a 3rd bird (127 or 129 as I recall) also over the pacific, with a 3rd alternate over the atlantic for east coasters.

I'm not sure how much of an issue it is to change from east to west or back since I don't have that service since they came out the the "Eastern Arc" and HDTV. never had any issues as far east as Detroit however.

DOMES: can see one satellite at a time and only in the KU band, this covers direcTV (not HD) and Dish both sd and hd. however if you have multiple receivers or a dual-input DVR. Then there will be times when you want to see two different satellites, No dome can do that. No dome can do DirecHDTV as it's in a different (KA) band.

Ground mount (or roof mount) dishes, however, can see multiple birds if you have the proper dish.

If you have a roof mount you need to put a simple A/B switch in the line to the receiver with "A" going to the roof up "Above" and "B" going to a connection (Bulkhead or basement) down "Below" for a ground mount.. WHY. You ask? Because of the evil signal eating tree, if you park below it's limbs (or in it's shadow) no signal will be yours with the roof mount.

So, which is better: Depends on how much you like sports and NASA (Dish has NASA, Direc is big into sports) I prefer NASA channel.

Oh, one other thing: Get an RV account, do not use your spare receiver from home in your RV.. here is why.

If you live in an area with "LOCAL TV" coverage, then by law that account can not have Distant Network Service. So when you travel more than a short (As much as 200 miles) distance, you loose ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS and the like. RV accounts (And Semi Truck Accounts) do qualify for "Distant network" service, so you get the networks out of either the NYC/Atlantic City NJ area or out of Los Angles or both.