Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmdamit View Post
We had a flat tire recently while in a camp ground,So I figured after paying all of those years I would call for assistance. The person on the line asked me i was safe i replied yes. I told her i had a flat tire. She asked me for my tire size ,I told her. I also told her that I did not need a new tire I just had a flat. She asked me what was wrong with the tire I replied that I was not a tire mechanic I guessed it had a nail or whatever. She said that if it was a nail she could not send assistance the coverage was just for valve stem problems. After much conversation I concluded that my problem should be a valve stem problem, so I told her to please send some one to fix my valve stem.I concluded that Good Scam was just that. I decided to call my insurance company and add road side assistance for 24 dollars per year and not receive all of the junk mail and junk emails.
You will find several internet pages of dissatisfied customers of both Good Sam ERS, and CoachNet. When that operator asked what was wrong with the tire, my response would have been "it's flat on one side-send help".
We have to remember, these are minimum-wage jobs, and the operator is required to ask a list of questions in order to read the corresponding response.

The junk mail from Good Sam should have stopped after ~6 weeks after you phoned them and requested it be stopped, or made that selection on their website.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I have used GS 3 times this past summer to tow my son & my daughters SUV. They sent the wrecker service as advertised. They did what thier contract states, they towed us as far as the nearest repair service was located. For my sons SUV this was Ok, we had it towed home, which was closer than the service garage. No questios asked by GS. Now for my daughter, she is away in college about 55 miles from home. I asked if they would tow the SUV to my house. 2 reasons, 1 I am a mechanic & I would be doing the repairs, 2 there was a spare vehicle there that she could use. They denied the tow to our home with out any other possibilities. They would only tow her 16 miles to the closest garage. We agreed and asked if they would drop the SUV at her home since it was 3 miles shorter. They agreed. Problem solved, I would fix it in her driveway. Well it turned out that I could not fix it there & called them back again after checking with some other towing service companies & found out the price it would cost me for the tow home, $230-$250. When I called GS back they said they would tow it to the nearest garage OR tow it to my house if I paid the difference. I agreed and paid $144 for the tow home. Now this is all in thier agreement & they did exactly what I contracted them to do last Feb when I signed up for thier service. I have no complaints for they did what we both agreed upon.

Now I will tell you why I am dropping GS and have already signed up with AAA Premier RV service. I had AAA Plus prior to buying my RV. I switched to GS because they offer unlimited mileage towing. But read the fine print, only to the nearest service garage. AAA will tow your vehicle up to the contracted distance no matter what, & you pay the mileage beyound that. I know this for a fact as I have had 2 vehicles towed 75+ miles when they could have towed them 5-10 miles to the nearest service garage. The AAA Premier RV will tow up to 200 miles. Yes the cost is more than GS or CN but in the long run I paid more with GS than I would have with AAA.

After researching all 3 of the major players here we decided to go back to AAA. To each thier own, I think they all do a great service & help us out when things are at thier worst. Just remeber to read the fine print on any of these contracts. So you will know what you are & are not covered for. With gods Blessings you may never need it, just another feel good insurance policy.
You might want to read the AAA fine print. AAA has different areas, some do not provide RV towing service.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You might want to read the AAA fine print. AAA has different areas, some do not provide RV towing service.
I agree. I live in N.E. Ohio and when I called AAA to inquire about insurance, they said they don't do RV's in this region. AAA is not nationwide it is regional and it is my understanding that if you breakdown in an area that doesn't cover RV's you are on your own. I never followed up on this so I can't say for sure it is correct, but its something to ask about when signing up.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #32

I think the funniest GS RS incident was when they were called to unlock a Class C in our park in central Florida. The keys had been left on the table and the last person out (a cab door) hit the lock button as they usually do.

When the tow truck operator got there he stated he couldn't open the cab doors 'because this kind of Class C has this big thing over the cab and I need to be able to stick the probe straight up and push it down to the lock. They didn't tell us it was this kind of Class C, sorry.' and left.

Thankfully one of the bedroom windows wasn't latched and sliding it open and hoisting a kid in got the unit open.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #33

Triple E Owners Club
I know what you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I changed from Good Sam to AAA RV coverage last year after Good Sam left me on the side of I78 for 3 hours while they tried to negotiate a cheaper rate with the tow driver. When the tow driver finally came at midnight, he told me he could have been there 2 hours earlier but Good Sam did not agree to his rate until the could not find any other tows available.
I sat in 105 degrees while waiting, on I-90, over four hours while they tried to negotiate a cheaper price. I got the same story from the driver.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #34

I've had a similar experience with coach-net. Sat broke down for 10 hours on the shoulder on US35 in Ohio. CN said they couldn't get a wrecker to me until 7pm. Well it got there at 9:30pm. The wrecker dropped us off in the parking lot of the repair shop at 12:30 am. If I have another occasion to call CN for help, I'll see what they say and then make my own calls to see if I can get help quicker on my own.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I just checked the fine print that is on the website for AAA Carolinas which I am a member. I see nothing stating outside of service area. However I don't dispute your claim, I just couldn't find any proof either way. Also this write up was almost 5 years ago & I also am now covered with another underwriter. It always pays to review any coverage you may have periodically, most say for insurance purposes every 5 years.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I just checked the fine print that is on the website for AAA Carolinas which I am a member. I see nothing stating outside of service area. However I don't dispute your claim, I just couldn't find any proof either way. Also this write up was almost 5 years ago & I also am now covered with another underwriter. It always pays to review any coverage you may have periodically, most say for insurance purposes every 5 years.
We had AAA RV plus gold or whatever they called it about 10 years ago and found out that when we were towing our motorcycles in a "utility" type trailer, it was not covered. We went into the local office when we got home and they actually had a paper printed that had photos of what they would not tow (or sent RSA). Horse trailers were one of the others I recall.

The trailer had a flat on the beltway around D.C. and they said we were not covered. Fortunately Winnebago covered it under their new coach warranty.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #37

I won't renew after my jacks wouldn't retract. I'm a 100% DAV so rather difficult to get under RV and I had little knowledge of what was wrong. I was at Ft Lewis, just outside Tacoma but they wanted to send repairman from Auburn WA (about 29 miles) but because of US Open Golf about 2 hours away. After mechanic called, said Good Sam would only pay for his trip down, I would pay for his repair time and trip back at $159 per hour. He said he had no parts and I had to pay if he fixed it or not (not very encouraging). I told him I didn't think he was the right man for the job (he hadn't left his shop) and called Good Sam back and was told because I refused their mechanic I was on my own!
After an extra day stuck, I managed to find a mechanic that gave me instructions. I was able to crawl under, disconnect hydraulic hoses, and let springs retract jacks.

Zippo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo1969 View Post
After mechanic called, said Good Sam would only pay for his trip down, I would pay for his repair time and trip back at $159 per hour.
When we signed up the brochure said something like "you pay for parts and labor and we take care of everything else". They kind of left out the you pay of the techs trip back to the shop. We argued that the last time so after a long wait on the phone they told me that they listened to the recording of our conversation when I called and I was informed that they would only pay for the the trip there. So I said play it back for me. They said we aren't allowed to do that. Hmm play it back or I assume you are lying to me. Never got any farther with them and our renewal just came in the mail. Guess what we are doing with that.

We found out later that we already had a rider on our Progressive policy that might have not only paid for the trip to and from but possibly all the labor and parts. Ouch
Old 08-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #39

As a newbie, I've already had to use GS. I was very pleased and the whole experience was not unreasonable at all. Anyone can have a bad experience I don't care who you have. Wait until you have to use whom ever you switched to and see.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum "life happens" HE lives..
Old 08-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
I sat in 105 degrees while waiting, on I-90, over four hours while they tried to negotiate a cheaper price. I got the same story from the driver.

That sounds a lot like my story, except it was in a snow storm on the side of I-79 in WV.

A very nice young tow truck driver stopped to check that we were ok and safely out of traffic because his boss had received a call from GS RS but GS weren't willing to pay full price and the tow company weren't willing to take a deep discount during a snow storm with their phone ringing off the hook.

He came back 4 hours later when they had caught up with the backlog of calls and towed us.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #41

I had a blowout on the road, called 'Good Sam' and ended up paying 498.00 for tire and install, I can buy the tire for 190.00 all day, I think maybe I'd have been better off without 'Good Sam' :-(
Old 08-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukiman View Post
I had a blowout on the road, called 'Good Sam' and ended up paying 498.00 for tire and install, I can buy the tire for 190.00 all day, I think maybe I'd have been better off without 'Good Sam' :-(
We had to fight with them when we had a blowout and since they were "affiliated" with Goodyear wanted to send us one of their tires. Nothing wrong with Goodyear tires except we had six Michelins. After a long time on Saturday afternoon they could not find a Goodyear service in the area we were in and told us we would have to deal directly with the RSA (TA truck center). That is what we wanted in the first place and got a Michelin.