Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-05-2015, 05:25 AM   #43
I talked to a friend who has a truck towing business the other day. I asked him if he was affiliated with any of these services. He is not. He does get towing calls from them now and then. The other night he got a call just as he sat down at home from another call. The person on the phone starts ordering him to get a gas can, put exactly X gallons in it, load it in an approved vehicle, drive 40 miles to a stranded RV, put gas in truck etc etc. He hadn't even said anything or that he would take the call and they are barking orders. He told them to go scratch. Much easier to deal with the customer. Appearantly they do not start with demands. I suspect a lot of these operators have about the same people skills as the one he ran into. Wonder why they have trouble getting service to people....

1999 Harney Renegade
Used mostly for weekends at the dragstrip with my rear engine dragster and my son's jr dragster.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #44
Newmar Owners Club
I hope all of you that had good or bad experiences with any of these companies wrote a letter to the company and explained your either bad or good experience. Could be it was a bad customer coordinator (or a good one) that needs some training (some acknowledgement). Someone, somewhere in the company wants to know these things.

We had a blow out on I70 east of Grand Junction CO. Called Coachnet. In about 40 minutes they called me stating they found a new tire for $1250 (plus mounting!), but could also find a used tire if I was interested. We had a long conversation where everything was well explained to me. I was a bit shook up and had the guy repeat several items. I elected the used tire, which I eventually sold back to the tire company. Took over three hours before we were on our way and I thought everything was done profesionally. I did contact CN and told them how pleased I was with the phone rep we had.

I spoke to the tire company that fixed us up and they said they have no contract with any RSA company, but will work with any that call them. I doubt if I could have gotten things done any quicker and am certain it would have cost more.

There are a lot of risks involved with the hobby or lifestyle we have chosen. Sometimes things will work the way we want, sometimes not.

tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #45
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Bukiman View Post
I had a blowout on the road, called 'Good Sam' and ended up paying 498.00 for tire and install, I can buy the tire for 190.00 all day, I think maybe I'd have been better off without 'Good Sam' :-(
GS is only an emergency towing service, they don't cover the cost of repairs or tires if needed. You got the tire and paid the cost. Just as the contract says.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #46
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Disappointed in Good Sam Emergency Road Service!

I have had GSERS for probably thirty-five to fourth years but also have had Emergency Roadhelp through Allstate Insurance Co some of the years. Up until I needed service in December of 2014 for a failed fuel pump on my vehicle I actually tow behind my M.H. I never had a complaint. But when I called GSERS I ask them to tow it to my house, they agreed but it cost me an extra $15.00 to tow it seven miles to my house. Now this was a reversal of two and a half years ago when my wife car was damaged by a truck and they towed it over twenty plus miles with no charge extra. In most cases they will tow to the closest service facilities but that's it. If it's something you can flat tow yourself do it. If I had known there policy had changed I would not have bothered with them at all due to the fact that I have pick-up and a tow bar I use behind my M.H. That said Emergency Roadhelp through Allstate Ins Co has also adopted the same policy. What was once a great deal is not as good as it once was.
allen1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #47
I have had GS for three years and have called twice. First was in Dumas Arkansas on Saturday afternoon late, needed to remove inboard tire and remove broken valve extender and re-inflate tire. GS finally found a person 40 miles away who would start our way. A passerby called a farmer who had a tractor service truck and he came and had us fixed up in as jiffy. The passerby told us not to offer any compensation as the farmer would be offended. (He really likes to help people).

The second use came about three weeks ago in Springfield, IL when we called GS to find out an RV repair facility near us. The operator, who appeared to be untrained in customer service, gave us the telephone number of a truck and trailer place who did not do RV repairs but they were able to give us the number of a close-by RV repair facility.

So I guess I am 50-50 with GS. I may give them another chance but I do agree that the deluge of mail to renew is excessive and wasteful marketing expense as is most of the GS mail I receive.
2000 SeaBreeze 1331 Ford
2004 Jeep Wrangler Blue Ox Tow Bar
wagatlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #48
Tiffin Owners Club
The problem with any road side assistance program is that you are at the mercy of the person you talk to. Some will work with you and provide excellent service while others seem to that that you are bother and interrupting their day. I'm sure there other others that fit in between and provide mediocre service at best.

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #49
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
The problem with any road side assistance program is that you are at the mercy of the person you talk to. Some will work with you and provide excellent service while others seem to that that you are bother and interrupting their day. I'm sure there other others that fit in between and provide mediocre service at best.

haven't heard to much bad abt CN,reason i left GS was all the bad press, just doesn;t end, it may be their training but if so then somebody needs to fix or get fired, still haven;t figured out you GS use's or in house call center, but who ever is a COMPLETE mess
Rick & Barbara
"98" 30 'Coachmen C Santara FL (front lounge) V 10
TST tpms, ScanGauge 2 cats Tyler,Lucy
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #50

Good Sams Roadside Assistance is a rip off. Cancelled today after trying to get help. The guy who answered our call was clueless. We explained that our lights were not working on the back of our fifth wheel and our electric brakes. He put us on hold three times to ask someone about it and then tried to tell us what he was told by a mechanic. He said we could not talk to the mechanic directly. They finally agreed to tow our rig. They picked the repair shop. We tried to contact the repair shop and could not get them to answer the phone. We looked online at the reviews for this place and they were absolutely terrible. We called and cancelled the tow. Good Sams would not allow us to have it towed to Camping World because this place was a few miles closer. This service is worthless!:
breez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #51
Stuck and worst possible service

I was at Ft. Lewis Washington RV Park as I had appointment with VA in Seattle during US Open (no motels open or park spaces available in Seattle). I am Disabled Veteran and when time came to leave the Park, my jacks wouldn't retract. They are Hydraulic with spring assist to retract.
Called Good Sam and they called back with a mobile RV repair about 30 miles away. I guess he and Good Sam agreed on $159 for trip down; then I would pay $159 per hour plus parts to attempt to fix (I was told rate applied whether he could fix it or not), and I had to pay real time trip back to his shop in Auburn. Because of traffic on highways because of Open, estimate was two hours. (On the day before, my trip to Seattle VA Hospital took 2.5 hours). I "refused" his service.
I called Good Sam and was told that because I refused their choice in serviceman, I was on my own.
Fortunately, I was able to add a day to my stay and find a couple of Soldiers who were able to drain and retract the jacks - had to force them to take money, finally settled on $20.
I don't plan on renewing my roadside assistance!
Tim McBride - 100% DAV
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow

Zippo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #52
Jacks wouldn't retract

Stayed at Ft. Lewis Campground so I could make appointments at Puget Sound VA. When trying to check out, Jacks wouldn't retract. (recently purchased 2004 Pace Arrow) Roadside Assistance found repairman about 30 miles away but said not only would he charge for trying to fix jacks (even if he failed) but I would pay ($159 per hour) for time there and time for him to return to shop. I declined and contacted Roadside Assistance again and was told that because I refused their Serviceman, I was on my own.
Fortunately, after extending my stay, I found Soldiers willing to help (lines were disconnected to relieve pressure). Full repairs were done after I returned home.
Tim McBride - 100% DAV
Tim McBride - 100% DAV
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow

Zippo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #53
Ran across this thread while looking for alternatives. GS is worthless... Broke down towing our 5th wheel, we were able to limp to the nearest dealer. Only place to park was in a business park, so no way we can stay too long. After being on the phone with them for some time, the best they would do is tow us to walmart 1 mile away. They kept telling us to ask the local businesses if we could leave our 5th wheel in their parking lot while the truck was repaired. The dealer said minimum of 3 days, just for diagnoses. We asked about towing to a local campground or camping world, they refused because walmart was closer. That walmart does note even allow overnight parking. Luckily on our own we found a big rig repair shop with room for the 5th wheel, they diagnosed the problem and had us back on the road in about 2 hours. Lesson learned, don't rely on roadside assistance and start calling local businesses.
BrianC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #54
I have used GS several times. Had three blowouts in one day several years ago. Long story. Any way the last time, rv would not turn over in Marion, SC. GS found a road side service provider that charged a flat rate $550. Also $25 for using credit card. Still have GS, but am starting to re-evaluate the wisdom. In the day of cell phones and wireless internet connections, probably better to wing it on your own.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #55
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for sharing all of the stories. I'm up for renewal and wanted to look at all my options. I used GS once for my wife's car when she had a flat and I wasn't able to get to her. That service was good, guy showed up and had her on the road in an hour or so. Last summer on a cross country trip I started experiencing problems with the power on my chassis. I called them to assist with finding a repair shop, but they were not able to help much. They were doing the same as my wife was using google to look for shops while I drove. So I'm going to compare CN, GS, AAA Rv, and see what my insurance offers. I'm made notes thanks to your stories. Happy travels!
2005 Coachmen Encore Sportscoach
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #56
My friend just used them for his motorcycle he had a flat and they just towed him back to the RV park only 45 min. wait.

2013 Duramax GMC 3500 4x4 Dually DIESEL 6.6L V8 TURBO
2014 H-D Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2014 Raptor 42ft Toy Hauler
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote