Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Disappointed in Good Sam roadside assistance

We had a flat tire recently while in a camp ground,So I figured after paying all of those years I would call for assistance. The person on the line asked me i was safe i replied yes. I told her i had a flat tire. She asked me for my tire size ,I told her. I also told her that I did not need a new tire I just had a flat. She asked me what was wrong with the tire I replied that I was not a tire mechanic I guessed it had a nail or whatever. She said that if it was a nail she could not send assistance the coverage was just for valve stem problems. After much conversation I concluded that my problem should be a valve stem problem, so I told her to please send some one to fix my valve stem.I concluded that Good Scam was just that. I decided to call my insurance company and add road side assistance for 24 dollars per year and not receive all of the junk mail and junk emails.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I changed from Good Sam to AAA RV coverage last year after Good Sam left me on the side of I78 for 3 hours while they tried to negotiate a cheaper rate with the tow driver. When the tow driver finally came at midnight, he told me he could have been there 2 hours earlier but Good Sam did not agree to his rate until the could not find any other tows available.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Coachnet
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/coach...tml#post712740
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #4

I've used Good Sam's EMS 3 times in the past 5 years. Each time the service was excellent... the last usage was 2 months ago.

Eh!
geeksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmdamit View Post
............She said that if it was a nail she could not send assistance the coverage was just for valve stem problems.
Must be something new they came up with on the valve stem limitation, here's a quote from page 8 of the Good Sam Member Benefit Brochure:

"A service technician will replace a flat tire
with your inflated spare, or we’ll tow your
vehicle to the nearest professional service
center. Note: Does not include seasonal
tire changes."
Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Since you didn't have a spare, the assistance should provide a for a tow or to send a tire repair service to the site. You would be repsonsible for the actual cost of repairs, which are not covered by any roadside assist program.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
I decided to call my insurance company and add road side assistance
Thanks for posting that. We have GS RSA due to re up the end of the month. Called our insurance agent who told me we already have RSA through Progressive doh
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm have dropped the Good Sam Club as well as I am not renewing my GS ERS at the end of Oct and will be going to Coach-Net. Like most of us, we try to minimize the amount of mail being delivered. We use as much email billing, e-magazines, internet banking, email statements etc. as possible. Good Sam doesn't get it, they started 8 months prior to my expiry date to send "urgent" packages to prevent me from having a lapse in coverage. They have so far sent me four urgent packages. I know when my coverage is due I don't need all this junk mail. Goodbye Good Sam. I only hope Coach Net doesn't do the same.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I was willing to pay for any additional tire repair, she was not going to send any one unless I was willing to buy a new tire or my problem was a valve core.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #10

Quote:
She said that if it was a nail she could not send assistance the coverage was just for valve stem problems.

Sorry but this simply is not true. Just read the coverage. I know you think that is what they were telling you but its simply so far beyond the realm of reason as not to be true. When things get that far off, its a communications problem. You should have asked for a different representative or a supervisor.

GS will pay to change the tire or send a tire repair truck. They do not pay for repairs to tires or mechanical. Only the tow or tire change. But they WILL pay for that regardless of what causes the flat. Has nothing to do with valve stems.

I have had RS assisance through affinity (GS and CW) for over 10yrs. Had several calls over the years and each one handled professionally as the situation allowed. But always got me going.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #11

Howdy!

HAD Goodsams (GS) for years. I used them a couple of times once when we got stuck, and another time could not break the lug nuts on a tire. We had a break down in the Canadian Yukon and GS refused to pay for the towing bill stating we did not call them and they had not authorized the towing. We had NO phone service for miles and could not get to service. It ended up costing us a $2,000.00 towing bill. Dropped GS ERS and now have Coach Net. We did not renew our GS membership and are still trying to stop the junk mail.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I used them about 3 years ago no problem, not the case this time
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have GS ERS for almost 10 years now, and reading all the above, it looks like their policy have changed since the last time I called them for assistance. I had a flat tire while parked in a campground and found out there was a nail stuck on the front tire. I called GS ERS, explained the situation and they sent a Les Scwabb tire repair technician. The tire was fixed and I didn't pay a single cent. In San Diego, I had a flat on my towed and again, GS ERS sent a tire repair tech, got it fixed and again, I didn't pay anything.

So the way I understand the responses, if I called GS ERS for any tire repair assistance, I will be paying for the services. I guess I'll give them a call and verify so if it's true, then maybe it's time to switch back to CN.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

HAD Goodsams (GS) for years. I used them a couple of times once when we got stuck, and another time could not break the lug nuts on a tire. We had a break down in the Canadian Yukon and GS refused to pay for the towing bill stating we did not call them and they had not authorized the towing. We had NO phone service for miles and could not get to service. It ended up costing us a $2,000.00 towing bill. Dropped GS ERS and now have Coach Net. We did not renew our GS membership and are still trying to stop the junk mail.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
It is fair that the cost was all yours... if you did not call them prior to having the service done, you are on your own. This is clearly stated in the agreement.

Eh!
geeksrus is offline   Reply With Quote