Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-30-2007, 02:07 AM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
bsavage<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but when we got the paperwork from them to add those channels, they said they would then have to charge us the full fee for the coach receivers as they were no longer "mirroring" the house receiver. That would be ridiculously expensive, so we didn't do it. Any advice?? Or have they changed their policy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The way we do it is when we head south for the winter we turn off (cancel) the home receiver which drops that monthly fee and activate the receiver in the motorhome (with the Distant Network Stations). Has worked well for us. When we get back home in the spring we just reverse the process. Turn the home receiver back on and switch the motorhome receiver back to "mirror" which also requires cancelling the DNS channels.

Bob 2006 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ
US Navy Carrier Battlegroup 1959/1963
Summer in Colorado, Winter Texas Gulf Coast
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, Bob!

Brenda & Tony, traveling with Chocolate Lab Cadbury and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Rossi, Hayden, Millie, & Hercules... towing an assortment of motorcycles!
bsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:41 AM   #17
Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max Hubrich:
I can tell you folks that the Direct TV satellite (101) is slightly higher in elevation in the southern sky. If you plan on traveling to northern tier states you should consider this in your selection process. We have spent the past three years in coastal, central Maine, and my neighbors all had Dish and all had trouble with their reception. An RV sales and repair facility told me they hate to see Dish systems up there because it is such a problem to get decent reception-- Just bringing this to your attention. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it's further east, which makes it look higher if you're on the east coast. If you were in the Pacific Northwest, you'd have the opposite problem and the Dish Network satellites would be higher in the sky.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beabop:
Someone asked about Direct, you need 2 accounts, 1 for house, 1 for RV, and they allow you to turn the one account you aren't using off between trips. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The quote above hasn't been my experience with DirecTV. I've had DTV for 6 years and have only ever had one account. Had it install at my home and then sent in the RV waiver and proof of RV ownership and asked for Distant Network Services which was approved. DTV told me to just move my receivers into my motorhome. Occasionally I'll call and have my home locals turned off and the locals for my new location turned on. No change in price. When we return home I place the receivers in the house and call and have my home locals turned back on. I started with 2 receivers and added 2 more last year. All 4 are marked as being in the RV. Never had a problem and never needed 2 accounts.

The big advantage DirecTV has over Dish is that all programming comes off one satellite (except Spanish, HD and some smaller city locals) so my roof dish does not have to be reset when changing channels.

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA FMCA 335149 W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R W24, no chassis mods needed 2013 Honda Accord EX-L 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
As far as the plugging in of an external satelitte antenna - there has been extensive discussion on this site of the method to do this without problems and damage to anything.

To receive distant networks(from the coasts) send in the RV waiver and the proof of registration. The service for Dish is as stated around $10 per month.

Going with either Dish or Direct will not get you your home local channels when you are out of the spot beam area. The distance from your home area the spot beam is receivable varies by several factors but is around 100 miles.
2004 Itasca Sunrise 36', Workhorse
2003 Suzuki XL7
Dsouthw524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #20
We have the Dish Network system with local Savannah channels. Last year we went from Savannah to Binghamton, NY and had the local Savannah channels everywhere we spent the night. They were on the 119 Sat along with all the channels we normally watch. We have the VIP622 DVR in the house which we put in the MH while traveling, this unit has a separate input for over the air (OTA) channels so we can also watch the local channels using the batwing antenna on the roof where ever we go.
Don Harris

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

How far one can travel from "home" and still receive local channels really does vary. We're on a west coast loop and are based around Sacramento, Ca. We were able to get our DTV local channels all the way into southern Washington before losing the signal. When we headed south, we could still get them in Bakersfield but lost them when we continued south.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote